Hi,

My current set up is as follows -

LG OLED55C6V
Onkyo TX-NR906
KEF 3005SE
Oppo UDP-203
Apple TV 4k
Sky Q

Unfortunately the Onkyo is starting to give up (had it almost 11 years) and the time has come to upgrade.

I realise that both amps have reviewed well and that there is a difference in price, but I would appreciate any suggestions on whether the Marantz or Denon would be best?

Thanks

They both sound very similar for movies, the Marantz is better for music. So, if you want to listen to decent stereo music, then go for the Marantz, if not, then go for whichever one is the best deal.

I think this depends on whether the speakers are your end point. I went 3005se with onkyo, then to x3400 for 4K, then bought r500’s a c200 and then went for sr7012 for better musicality.
The 3005se’s now act as the back 4 speakers :).
The Denon will run you 3005se‘s with ease and sounded great when I ran that combo.
There’s really not much in it with the eggs.
Al

Hi, thanks for the reply.

To be honest most of the music at the moment would be from the Apple TV, although I am considering purchasing a turntable in the future lol

Hi, thanks for the reply.

To be honest most of the music at the moment would be from the Apple TV, although I am considering purchasing a turntable in the future lol
I’m not sure the 3600 has a phono input, the x3400 certainly didn’t.
Al

I’d say Marantz, better for music and a run up the ladder as Marantz 7013 roughly equals Denon X4500h I think.

Hmmmm

It has a Phono input according to the Denon Website.

I have no plans to change the speaker’s at the moment, I’m only replacing the Onkyo as its starting to act up.

Yes both have a phono (mm) input

Looks like the Marantz is the way to go.

If they’re similar prices, but I thought the 7013 was many more spondoolies than the x3600?!?

Marantz has a 6013 that’s more in line with the x3600

Is anyone familiar with the Onkyo TX-RZ840 ? Would this be better?

Just changed from an older Onkyo 818 to a Denon X4500 and very happy with the sound and quality of the unit, the 4500 is cheaper than the Marantz 7013 and not much more than the Denon 3600.

I have a Marantz 7010 in my main system and would not say that the X4500 gives anything up to the Marantz even with music IMO.

The Denon X4500h also have a nicer 2 line front display which I like to have, the Marantz has this but hidden behind a flap for some strange reason - ‘form over function’. I’d say the Marantz does sound a touch better for music but it’s not massive and it depends if your speakers can make the most of it, eggs probably won’t help reveal that difference.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom