Marantz SR8012 11.2-Channel AV Receiver Review & Comments

great review steve,this seems to be as future proofed as can be after al the new formats,amazed this only weighs 17kg.:thumbsup:

great review steve,this seems to be as future proofed as can be after al the new formats,amazed this only weighs 17kg.:thumbsup:
That isn't the official weight because I couldn't actually find that listed in the specs but according to my bathroom scales it's 17kg.

Great write up, Marantz, to me have always made musically sounding amps and this seems to be no exception. I'm still using my 6 year old 5006 and it still sounds as good as it did from the first month of being run in. If only I had the space to set one of these beauties up :(

That isn't the official weight because I couldn't actually find that listed in the specs but according to my bathroom scales it's 17kg.

Do the same scales also suggest that you only weigh 64Kg?

Seriously though, they do seem to be purposefully withholing its actual weight. Maybe this is to avoid the type of question asked by kahlua, why is it so light? It is heavier than the Denon AVRX6400 though which weighs in at 14.5Kg.

Last edited:
With the release of Marantz's flagship SR8012. The Replacement for the Denon 7200WA must be on the Horizon.

With the release of Marantz's flagship SR8012. The Replacement for the Denon 7200WA must be on the Horizon.

You mean the AVRX8500?

This will be a 13 channel receiver and is expected early (spring) next year.

Last edited:
You mean the AVRX8500?

This will be a 13 channel receiver and is expected early (spring) next year.
Thanks for the info, I didn't know about the AVRX8500 :smashin:

An excellent review "Count W" ;) thank you.

You mentioned a short while back that sometime in the spring "Denon" (as with "Marantz" part of D&M Holdings, unless that's changed now :rolleyes:) are also, apparently, bringing out an AV amp. As I have the venerable "Denon" AVCA11XV upgraded to (A spec) amp, at some point next year I would be interested in changing this model for an Atmos / DTS:X enabled amp as opposed to a receiver as I have a separate "Denon" DAB / FM and for what it's worth AM tuner.

I've had my present AV amp for around twelve years now and one of my main concerns was the quality of the two channel hi-fi sound as this is very important to me. The AVC11XV amp got a cracking review for its two channel capabilities when it was originally released in "Hi-Fi News & Record Review" and this publication rarely does reviews on AV amps as they tend to leave these types of components to periodicals such as "Home Cinema Choice" as well as your good selves. It was also one of the main reasons I purchased the amp as I knew the surround capabilities were pretty much a forgone conclusion.

Part of my reasoning for considering changing my present amp is not just for the Atmos and DTS:X codecs but also it would enable me to have neat HDMI inputs for my three BD players (my original LG 2D one, a Panny 3D model and my Panny 3D enabled 850 BD recorder) as opposed to having a plethora of analogue cables, optical leads etc, etc hanging out the back like an explosion in a spaghetti factory . At the moment to get lossless sound from my LG BD player I have to go via the "in" of the "external out" with eight analogue leads (7.1).

Whilst this amp is "THX Ultra 2" certified, as with others I feel that this is (probably) of no real consequence now. But having said that I do notice a slight, let's say, smoothing out of the various surround formats when "THX" is applied on DVD's but of course the sound from these platters is lossy.... not that I watch too many of those now. I look forward to any replies. :smashin:

Addendum: I've just seen the video / info on the "Denon AVRX8500" above whilst typing all this lot. :)

By the way if I wasn't full of a heavy head cold accompanied with copious amounts of coughing and spluttering I would be at work and typing this out in the early evening as opposed to mid morning.... By the way this is me feeling sorry for myself :(.

Last edited:
More a general observation really...

But why why why do we still have all these legacy inputs? As this is an allegedly top end amp how many purchasers will ever use a composite input!? 95% of use these days is digital input - mostly via HDMI, certainly on an AV receiver anyway. Why not have a limited range of analogue inputs and call it a draw.

Or have a separate plug in off board unit for people who really want the old connections?

That would clean these things up immensely and do something else with the free space internally?

Or maybe make them smaller...and lighter.

Maybe not lighter... My Arcam weighs 10k on top of this thing.. and its only rated at about 120w into 7... something doesn't add up to me :cool:

I've had my present AV amp for around twelve years now and one of my main concerns was the quality of the two channel hi-fi sound as this is very important to me.

The best solution for this is to use a mid range AVR for movie sources, and use an integrated stereo hi fi amplifier for music sources. If you get one with HT bypass, it can also be used as a power amp for the AVR.

This would give you the best possible solution, and may well work out more cost effective than buying a top of the range AVR.

Thank you for your review, Steve.

From reading the Forums, I notice that two queries frequently appear for real world usage:

1. The dimensions of the unit i.e whether it will fit into an existing cabinet/stand.
2. How hot it runs - usually in relation to point 1.

You answered the first query in your review but not the second. Any observations? I presume it runs warm being as it's crammed full of components and you did make reference to it being run loud for long periods. I suppose as long as there's adequate ventilation/air circulation and nothing stacked on top everything should be fine?

Hi Steve,

Great review thanks.

One of the obvious questions is if you have the SR-7010 and are pretty happy with it. But you find yourself salivating at the SR-8012, then is the SR-8012 a significant jump in performance? Or is it just more features and channels of amplification?

I'm tempted. But at the same time I'm wondering if that's just AV greed and whether it will make much of a difference on the day to day compared to the already excellent SR-7010.

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks,
Alan

In referring to the alternatives you probably should have pointed out for sake of completeness that pioneer and onkyo both sell 11 channel receivers at less than £2k

Great review! Where can you get this for £1999?

In referring to the alternatives you probably should have pointed out for sake of completeness that pioneer and onkyo both sell 11 channel receivers at less than £2k
They do but since Pioneer/Onkyo aren't prepared to send us samples for review, I'm not prepared to recommend them.

Thank you for your review, Steve.

From reading the Forums, I notice that two queries frequently appear for real world usage:

1. The dimensions of the unit i.e whether it will fit into an existing cabinet/stand.
2. How hot it runs - usually in relation to point 1.

You answered the first query in your review but not the second. Any observations? I presume it runs warm being as it's crammed full of components and you did make reference to it being run loud for long periods. I suppose as long as there's adequate ventilation/air circulation and nothing stacked on top everything should be fine?
Yes it does get warm, as you'd expect, but not excessively so. However I would always recommend ensuring there is plenty of ventilation around the receiver. If you do that then there's nothing worry about.

Hi Steve,

Great review thanks.

One of the obvious questions is if you have the SR-7010 and are pretty happy with it. But you find yourself salivating at the SR-8012, then is the SR-8012 a significant jump in performance? Or is it just more features and channels of amplification?

I'm tempted. But at the same time I'm wondering if that's just AV greed and whether it will make much of a difference on the day to day compared to the already excellent SR-7010.

Any thoughts?

Many Thanks,
Alan
Assuming you don't need the new features or the additional amplification, then I'd stick with the SR7010, it's a great receiver and I doubt you'd notice any difference.

You can't, it's £2,699, although the almost identical Denon AVR-X6400H is £1,999.
Aah, thanks! I read too fast, and thought you were referring to the Marantz for £1999!

You can't, it's £2,699, although the almost identical Denon AVR-X6400H is £1,999.

I think the Denon far from identical. The selling point associated with the Marantz has more to do with its toroidal transfoemer and higher tier components than its 11 channels. Are you saying Marantz shouldn't have bothered and they make no difference?

These high-quality amplifier stages are designed to enhance performance via carefully selected audiophile components including Marantz's Hyper Dynamic Amplifier Modules (HDAM) used in a current feedback topology. These pass the signal to the power stages, which deliver a claimed 205W per a channel to drive a full 7.1.4-channel home cinema setup without the need for additional external amplifiers. The SR8012 also uses Marantz sound-tuning throughout, drawing on experience with the company's two-channel amplifiers, including a copper-plated chassis and a centrally mounted, shielded toroidal transformer with high-current main power supply capacitors.

Last edited:
The best solution for this is to use a mid range AVR for movie sources, and use an integrated stereo hi fi amplifier for music sources. If you get one with HT bypass, it can also be used as a power amp for the AVR.

This would give you the best possible solution, and may well work out more cost effective than buying a top of the range AVR.

Thanks for the advice and I accept your comment about cost effectiveness, but it's also a matter of space. I have two five tier equipment racks next to each other in our lounge full up with various hi-fi and AV components including my :love: Thorens TD125 MK2 turntable plus my 7.1 speaker setup and our Panny 50" VT30 plasma.... But the other main thing is that I also have a wifey to appease. :rolleyes: So if I do replace my AVCA11XV, and depending on the reviews on this forthcoming "Denon" AV behemoth, it will have to be by necessity with another one box solution, but thanks anyway.

Last edited:
Great AVR. I'd love one of these. Only problem is the price. Seems to have been huge price increases in last 2-3 years. Wasn't the 7009 (or 7010 I can't remember which) available for less than a £1000 two years ago? Big jump up to £2600 for an extra two height channels.

Great AVR. I'd love one of these. Only problem is the price. Seems to have been huge price increases in last 2-3 years. Wasn't the 7009 (or 7010 I can't remember which) available for less than a £1000 two years ago? Big jump up to £2600 for an extra two height channels.
they drop in price pretty quick,my 7011 was 1500 got it for 899.00

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom