Question Marantz SR8012 + kef ls50

Rick84

Hi,

I’m looking at the kef ls50 for HT as a base layer and wanted opinions on whether the Marantz SR8012 would struggle in the amplifier department?

I’ve also considered the Arcam 850 but I’m put off having had the Arcams in the past, to many big etc

Thanks in advance

gibbsy

Most the KEF range need a good power supply, the LS50s being no exception as does the R300s. In a base layer the 8012 should have no trouble driving them or sustaining any dips to the 50s lowest point. KEF have always gone well with both Marantz and Denon. Will make a nice combination. You could always add a power amp if going beyond seven speakers certainly for the front three.

Rick84

Thanks for the reply,

I genuinely thought the answer would be a no. I’m slightly tempted to go straight for a 7705 and get 2 channels of amplification for now, and when funds allow get better quality amps.

The temptation of the 8012 and having everything in 1 box is luring though. Audioholics’s in depth testing and review of the 8012 is reassuring.

Also, the new NAD AVR is tempting but would it massively out perform a either the 8012 or 7705 with PA, so much to consider.

gibbsy

The NAD receivers have a much better room correction on board with Dirac which is superior to the Audyssey XT32 you will find onboard the Marantz. The NAD will, more than likely, give a better musical performance as well. The new NAD will have 5.1.4 out of the box I believe and 7.1.4 with the addition of external power, that puts it on a par with the Marantz for channel availability.

I've never used Dirac nor listened to a NAD receiver so cannot comment on how they sound.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: TCL C815 TV, Denon & Huawei wireless speaker reviews, New Sony 4K PJ's and more
Top Bottom