Mark’s garage conversion thread

markie g

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I’ve been asking a few questions recently about doing a garage conversion, and now the time has come for work to get underway.

Brief background, integral garage being converted in to a play room for the kids. Currently the garage is just a dumping ground. Also the garage door is knackered, it’ll be the 3rd time of repairing the wire thing and we’ve decided to just bite the bullet and turn the room into something practical.

18 Feb 2020
So first some before pictures (this is after about 6 tip runs already
1399C80D-F941-4236-B577-79E8DD9A7308.jpeg

Guys came to dig footings out and a nice surprise that that they’re already there by looks of it, including a DPM but I’ll probably end up putting a another course of DPM down anyway.

CA3A78F6-532E-4162-A2B6-333E7183352C.jpeg

7060D117-CD92-4A53-A82B-9A6F059BA04D.jpeg

Total cost so far: £368 (council fees, skip)

19 Feb 2020
Council came out today, they are happy that the foundations are there. So next steps are me to go buy materials to do the brickwork and order window

22 Feb 2020
Window bought today, £380 for a 1810 x 1200mm 3 column window with 2 opening windows.
Any questions feel free to ask

29 Feb 2020
Bricks finally sourced, solid match thanks to jewsons who were able to send pictures of our current bricks over and brick yard matches them up. Due Thursday so hopefully brick work starts early next week.

£259 for 90 red bricks, 170 buff bricks and 20 breeeze vloxka

£45 for half ton sand delivered

Total cost so far: £1,052

2 March 2020
Just a few final things bought today before the works starts.
2x bags of cement (25kg) - £8
2x Frame sealant for the window - £9 for both
1x No nails for the water supply which comes in (the plastic part seems to move about a bit, and as this is due to be hidden, don't want it moving) - £2
1x 3/4" blank cap - we have a washing machine valve in the garage currently, which is turned off and doesn't leak, but going to blank this off also in case the valve ever failed - £2

We have an old vented tumble dryer, so we need the builders to brick up the old vented hole, i should also be able to tell if there's any insulation in the exterior wall from that section too - i hope so.

Also have an old washing machine waste pipe which feeds into our main drainage system from upstairs. So need to remove that one evening and cap off outside and cement the hole, i don't want it to ever back up and feed into the plasterboard lol

4 March 2020
Garage is pretty much clear now ready for the door removal tomorrow. Managed to remove the tumble dryer vent tonight and old waste pipe for washing machine, nice big hole where the vented dryer was so I was able to see if there was insulation in the wall - there is - woohoo. I will get council out Friday to show them and confirm it’s ok, it means I won’t have to insulate the outer wall (which my builder though I might need to)

Managed to get someone that wants the garage door (free of charge). Saves me a job of getting rid of it and nice it can be reused by someone.
19A56B92-7A73-41B6-81D6-A6A77B5A36DB.jpeg

6 March 2020
So brickwork has started today
IMG_0815.jpg
IMG_0814.jpg

9 March 2020
Window is finally in

IMG_0832.jpg

Still waiting for the mortar to dry fully, and the bricks either side are covered in dust from cutting out the old bricks, so looking forward to having it all dry out and being able to give the other bricks a good scrub down so it can blend in better.

£300 labour for brickwork and window installed

Total cost so far: £1,373

12 March 2020
Starting the flooring now,so need to level this off as the end of the old garage is 20mm lower than the rest to avoid water running in.

5m x 4m 1200 Damp proof membrane bought £15 (bought from ebay in the end as i could only find larger rolls which were £25-30+)
2x MAPEI ULTRAPLAN self leveling compound £37.98

5x Celotex 50mm 2.4m x 1.2m
9x Chipboard moisture resistant 22mm
£218 delivered

Total cost so far: £1,643.98

18 March 2020
Flooring is down, just need to sort plumber and electrician now before anything else

CF2F7D12-696C-4F8E-B3EB-2D8442C63F13.jpeg

Pu glue - £8

28 May 2020
Work now resuming, plumber been out to do pipe work for radiator. Electrician coming Saturday.

29 May 2020
First visit from electrician. 3 sockets installed, removal of some existing sockets which were mounted half way up the wall for washing machine. Removal of the 2nd light switch for the main light and had 2 external down/up lighters installed for outside.
Meeting with building control later to discuss gas pipe and their final visit before plaster board goes up.
No updates on costings yet as not paid plumber or electrician until they’ve finished fully.

12 June 2020
Final bits are here to finish the room!
Hoping to try and start work next week.. will be nice to get it done.

Wood, plaster, plasterboard, plasterboard adhesive
£228

Total so far: £1879.98

Couple of extra plasterboard's and wood needed and screws - £28

Total so far: £1907.98

25 June 2020
Plasterer £200

29 June 2020
Joiner to fit new door casing, door flipped the other way to open inwards towards the room, window sill and skirting board
£425

Total so far: £2532.98

2July 2020
Radiator installed £460

4 July 2020
Electrician (sockets, lights and certificate) - £180

Grand total (excluding decorating i.e. carpets, paints, wallpaper): £3,172.98

D460F03E-BD8E-45AC-B4A6-8D65387DA8F2.jpeg

E9D06534-8352-4D54-BB8D-E629A4DD7194.jpeg

Attachments

• 78C05694-C77A-489C-8954-DDA97D8FE4B3.jpeg
    78C05694-C77A-489C-8954-DDA97D8FE4B3.jpeg
    237.8 KB · Views: 693
  • 91682040-5C25-41F5-B1FB-D4974CC54226.jpeg
    91682040-5C25-41F5-B1FB-D4974CC54226.jpeg
    583.1 KB · Views: 609
Last edited:
Are you doing this yourself?

If not, if I may ask an indelicate question how much it’s likely to cost?

we are looking at possibly turning our garage into a living room, kitchen and building on top for a bedroom and bathroom for my MIL to live in.

Are you doing this yourself?

If not, if I may ask an indelicate question how much it’s likely to cost?

we are looking at possibly turning our garage into a living room, kitchen and building on top for a bedroom and bathroom for my MIL to live in.
The only bits I’m doing myself is likely the flooring and maybe some of the boxing in.

We’re estimating about £2,000 excluding any carpets.

So rough costs:
* Brick work and full width window fitted £400 (inc materials which I’m sourcing)
* Window £300
* Radiator plumbed in £250
* Electrician £200
* Flooring £150 (me doing labour)
* Plasterboard and plaster £350 (materials and labour)
* Wood for boxing in £50 (me doing Labour)
* Council fees £258
* Skip £100 (smallest one they did)

We did have 3 builders out to quote, but only ever got one back to us.
He quoted £5,200 excluding any plumbing, but that was an original idea of having a separate utility room (so in the first picture where the washing machine is that would have a stud wall) and a door putting in in our hallway. However we’ve now decide to go for the full garage converted instead (washing machine and tumble dryer are being sold and we’ve had a new washer dryer installed in the kitchen). Which means we don’t need a door way putting in as we have an existing one and will just flip the door the other way.

I hope that helps!

Are you insulating you’re floor at all? Or raising it? Assuming the garage floor is lower than the rest of the floors in your house?
Yes, had building regs out today to discuss the floor to bring it to the same level as rest of the house.

Flooring will be:
DPM
Levelling Screed
Insulation
Chipboard

Following with interest. If this can be done for £2k, I may well convert my garage too.

I don’t believe it can be.

Get some prices from some local builders. The only people who would be able to do it for £2k would like to be paid in Crack.

£2k I think is optimistic , insulated plasterboard is £30 a sheet alone , skirting , etc the flooring insulation etc ,

a skip in London starts at £200 plus !! I think it’s £380 for an 8 yard near me

That's a garage in name only :rotfl: what do they expect you to park in there? a kids bike?

Sounds suspiciously cheap to me.

* Plasterboard and plaster £350 (materials and labour) - this especially.

Where are you going to put all the crap? I need somewhere for all those bits and pieces that might come in handy one day. Plus the bikes, bodyboards etc.

£2k I think is optimistic , insulated plasterboard is £30 a sheet alone , skirting , etc the flooring insulation etc ,

a skip in London starts at £200 plus !! I think it’s £380 for an 8 yard near me
Skip is a 3 yard skip, so tiny, we have a suv so can move larger stuff if needed to the tip.

building regs hasn’t mentioned insulated plasterboard (yet), the house is a double layer brick with cavity wall, so can’t see why they would require insulated plasterboard when the rest of house probably isn’t (unless all existing are insulated).
The only place I potentially see them wanting insulated plasterboard is the wall that sits with the new window. But yeh, if the do require insulated plasterboard it’ll take it from £10 a sheet to £30.
That's a garage in name only :rotfl: what do they expect you to park in there? a kids bike?

Sounds suspiciously cheap to me.

* Plasterboard and plaster £350 (materials and labour) - this especially.
10x plaster boards (£10 per sheet) - one wall and all the ceiling is already plasterboarded and plastered

To be honest, I’m probably am under on this (didn’t have my spreadsheet to hand), but it’ll probably be £400-450 thinking about it again

Where are you going to put all the crap? I need somewhere for all those bits and pieces that might come in handy one day. Plus the bikes, bodyboards etc.
Exactly that, most of it is crap, my bike has been sold now (never used it), washing machine, tumbler dryer and freezer will be getting sold (washer dryer in one now in kitchen, also new fridge freezer now in kitchen - none of this including in any costs mentioned in the thread).

Rest is going in our shed or loft, it’s kind of the next job to do by us to get the garage empty.

Would love to convert by external garage, such a wasted space but costs are just so high and then where do you store all the crap thats in there like gardening stuff, outdoor toys/inflatables, tools etc

£150 materials for the floor?

consisting of:-

DPM
Levelling Screed
Insulation
Chipboard

Seems cheap for the materials.

I have been on with a project recently and best prices I could find locally (North West), last year were;

Insulation 2400 x 1200 x 100mm £33 ea.
OSB flooring boards 2400 x 600 x 25 £12ea.

I would recommend looking at the OSB T&G boards for you flooring, a much better for the job.

£150 materials for the floor?

consisting of:-

DPM
Levelling Screed
Insulation
Chipboard

Seems cheap for the materials.
I've estimated:
Damp proof membrane(1000 gauge) 4x3meters - £18.70
Tape for DPM - £5.29
Insulation - Celotex 50mm 8x boards - £10
Screed - 2 bags self leveling screed - £25
Chipboard - 8 chipboards £90

I know my figures overall will be a little off, I've probably underestimated how much it'll cost, i'm no expert, but i'll be as honest with all figures :)

Council came out today, happy with foundations that are already there :)

Last edited:
You might be surprised how much all the ‘bits’ add up.

odds and sods. Also, two bags of self levelling would be enough for a small cloakroom, not a garage. I latexed a kitchen last year and used 20 bags. Mechanical mixer was essential. Primer, brush and roller. Spiked roller to smooth over. It’s not a DIY task. Large buckets, several buckets with water loaded up ready. Don’t underestimate some tasks.

If I were you I'd insulate all the walls now while your at it. It will benefit your hallway and whatever room backs onto it.
For the extra cost its definitely worth it.

Remember that insulated plasterboard does need mechanical fixings as well as dot and dabbing plus you need to get the correct vapour control plasterboard.

Let’s focus on the positives. :)
Whilst we've on the negatives... plumber price came in way over what i was expecting for plumbing in the radiator... £480 (i had estimated £250) going to get a few more quotes to see how it compares.

Also, the left side of the garage has less than a half brick return, so looks like we're going to have to have 2 small pillar sections each side of the window :(

What’s involved in doing the radiator? Does that include the radiator/valves/pipe work etc?

Dare I say that £480 doesn’t seem all that far off of he has to come from another room for example.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom