Mark’s garage conversion thread

If the thinking is to joint the cables, then cover over with something, so it can’t be seen, i.e. plaster, then don’t think that way anymore :)
Is this allowed? I have to have a certificate for all electrical work complete to show the council.

Is this allowed? I have to have a certificate for all electrical work complete to show the council.
No.

All joints & termination of cables etc, should be accessible for inspection & testing. Unless the joint is one achieved using maintenance free accessories or methods.

Garage door off and some of the toothing done
Builders will finish it tomorrow and start bricking up
Didn’t think about how dusty it was going to be!

A92A510F-9B76-4F67-A211-9C734FD1852E.jpeg

Just having a look and a bit unsure why they’ve gone that far on the left, i assumed it would be the same as on the right

Ok spoke with the builders today regarding the left section, apparently the left section only had one row of bricks, rather than 2 rows, which meant when they tried to tooth them out the bricks crumbled as there was no support behind. So without taking it all the way round the the side of the house and support and re-bulding the corner there's not much they can do but just make it look the best they can.

Not ideal, but just goes to show a simple thing can't always be straight forward :(

Good luck Mark. We moved in to our home last year, the 2nd "garage" was partitioned off so we ripped it down and merged both rooms (see photo). So far, we've blocked up the garage door, put in a window, x2 Velux roof windows and that's all.

It will be my project to complete next year more than likely, but the space is brilliant.

Attachments

• IMG_6402.JPG
    IMG_6402.JPG
    333.3 KB · Views: 156
  • IMG_4996.jpg
    IMG_4996.jpg
    318.8 KB · Views: 157
  • IMG_4580.jpg
    IMG_4580.jpg
    553.6 KB · Views: 151
Lovely tidy brickwork. Why have you cropped out the LHS?
Only reason is that on the left is a pile of stuff that needs to go to the tip (old garage door frame), I’ll get a head on view tomorrow after I’ve nipped it to the tip and it looks a bit tidier :thumbsup:

Sourced all the bits flooring now, updated the first post.

Width of the garage is about 2.38m, and the boards are 2.4m so might even get away if them sliding straight in, if not just a tiny bit off.

Going to level the lower part of the garage my self and give it a good couple of days to set, then will crack on with the flooring

Also, @Wahreo totally forgot to get you that picture, this is the best i have, taken on a wet rainy day. Gives a good idea of how it looks in relation to the rest of the property (the mortar was still drying at this stage).
03b0d777-eebc-461c-a660-697bd36fdd31.JPG

I think it looks absolutely fantastic, really well done, you must be extremely please with with how it’s all looking

I think it looks absolutely fantastic, really well done, you must be extremely please with with how it’s all looking
Really pleased so far.

just levelled the floor myself -came out ok I think

B1805874-DFA8-4C84-BA41-6CE4CF1DF1D6.jpeg

Flooring stuff arrived today, having to work from home until further notice, so might be able to starts bits of this in the lunch break and hopefully get it finished at the weekend

CC301333-A9EF-4118-882F-08B14998A6B0.jpeg

Flooring down, luckily insulation and chipboard only ever so slightly needed trimming

4E618A3B-EC37-4B57-850C-A16DAD4484FE.jpeg
9DF1E414-C816-4663-96EE-F6984E903AAF.jpeg

Last edited:
Average garage in a modern new build. Not designed to actually fit a car in, built purely to tick the box stating that the house has a garage.

I estimate 2.2m once the walls are done ;)

How wide is the room? It appears very narrow to have been a garage but that might just be the camera playing tricks.
I estimate 2.2m once the walls are done ;)
Wahreo is pretty much bang on, size wise the room is currently:
2.4m wide
5.2m long

so maybe another 20cm lost when walls are done and pipe work behind for radiator

We converted our garage 25yrs ago. It’s been a playroom, an office, a cinema room and now it’s a utility room.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom