Mark’s garage conversion thread

Handy, if obvious, tip. When the walls go up take measurements and make notes where the pipework is so you don't drill through them in the future.

I made notes and kept them in the room.

Or ignore that method and 25yrs later do the ‘drill - tap -tap- (it seems ok) drill method 🤣

Unfortunately due to schools closing due to corona virus, it means one of our incomes is going to be drastically reduced. With around £1,000 still left to pay to get it to a finish state, we’ve decided to put this project on hold until things get back to normal.

Absolutely gutted as I was really enjoy the project, but it’s the sensible thing to do.

In the meantime we’ve put loads of carpets down and got an electric heater for the room for the kids to play in. I will obviously resume the post when we pick it up again.

I wish you well to all those also affected.

917C5097-1B93-41CB-A552-FDE12E2F457D.jpeg

You’ll get there, Mark.......and appreciate it even more when you do get it finished knowing that you’ve worked hard to get it done :thumbsup:

Well... it's been a while... but work is resuming as of tomorrow! Forecast a good few days so i can work from the garden while trades people come in.

Plumber due tomorrow to do first visit for the radiator pipework.

Electrician coming Saturday to do his first visit also.

Looking good so far! As long as it is all sorted out before the weather changes you'll be fine :)

We have had to put back getting sixteen blown double glazing units replaced :(

Just to throw a slight spanner in the works... so the plumber has advised we need to box in the gas pipe and put a metal sheet over it and seal, then drill a hole to the outside as a vent, in case the pipe ever leaks.

A bit annoyed as i specially asked building control when they were here about having the gas pipe directly behind the plasterboard and they said it was ok... @Wahreo your thoughts?

No idea, I gave up the gas work well over 20 years ago

Just to throw a slight spanner in the works... so the plumber has advised we need to box in the gas pipe and put a metal sheet over it and seal, then drill a hole to the outside as a vent, in case the pipe ever leaks.

A bit annoyed as i specially asked building control when they were here about having the gas pipe directly behind the plasterboard and they said it was ok... @Wahreo your thoughts?
There was someone with this problem, on the home cinema forum, another garage conversion thread. Unfortunately I can’t remember exactly which one, someone else may?

I believe the fix offered by a Gas Safe person, was boxing in and covering the gas pipe with a 3mm (think that was the depth) steel plate. Not sure about the venting thing, gas pipes are run in other voids without such consideratio?

There was someone with this problem, on the home cinema forum, another garage conversion thread. Unfortunately I can’t remember exactly which one, someone else may?

I believe the fix offered by a Gas Safe person, was boxing in and covering the gas pipe with a 3mm (think that was the depth) steel plate. Not sure about the venting thing, gas pipes are run in other voids without such consideratio?
Thanks I’ll see if I can find it. I’ve got building regs coming out again in next few days so I’ll ask again.

Had another think since writing the post and we have the fuse box which is going to be boxed in next to it, so might vent into there which will then vent into the room. Main thing is for the gas does not to build up, and at least we’d smell it that way god heavens forbid.

I don’t think you should vent gas past a fuse box just incase!

I don’t think you should vent gas past a fuse box just incase!
It's a valid point, however the gas pipe already runs directly around it (see pic attached).

Really conflicting information online regarding it!

11BA5E37-3B1E-4771-8296-1C319FA50A91.jpeg

First electrics fitting on Saturday. Got a video call with building control this afternoon, so will ask again about this pesky gas pipe!

529E96B4-F2CC-468C-BD24-5C509BD5084F.jpeg

Gas pipe update... had a video call with building control today as they're aren't visiting sites at the moment.

Shown them around the room, went over the flooring, electrics, plumbing etc. Also went over again the gas pipe situation today and they are adamant there's no issues with covering this pipe with plasterboard (this will be the 3rd different person from building control that I've asked now).

Gas pipe update... had a video call with building control today as they're aren't visiting sites at the moment.

Shown them around the room, went over the flooring, electrics, plumbing etc. Also went over again the gas pipe situation today and they are adamant there's no issues with covering this pipe with plasterboard (this will be the 3rd different person from building control that I've asked now).

Informative. Be interesting on a Gas Safe engineer pov on this? Electrical cables have to have some form of protection in walls, either mechanical or via disconnect of supply. I wouldn’t want to leave a gas pipe in some random point in a wall, where a subsequent owner might drill etc into it.

Can you not box it in, & make a narrow cupboard or shelving unit over it.
That's what I done to mine.

Informative. Be interesting on a Gas Safe engineer pov on this? Electrical cables have to have some form of protection in walls, either mechanical or via disconnect of supply. I wouldn’t want to leave a gas pipe in some random point in a wall, where a subsequent owner might drill etc into it.
Yep, no chance you want someone drilling into it by accident which is very possible. Even if it's just a metal plate running over the top of it before the board goes up

Yep, no chance you want someone drilling into it by accident which is very possible. Even if it's just a metal plate running over the top of it before the board goes up
If you cover with one of those plates I linked, they’d be hard pushed to drill through it, without coming to the conclusion it isn’t brick etc they are drilling into.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom