Mark’s garage conversion thread

Yep, no chance you want someone drilling into it by accident which is very possible. Even if it's just a metal plate running over the top of it before the board goes up
If you cover with one of those plates I linked, they’d be hard pushed to drill through it, without coming to the conclusion it isn’t brick etc they are drilling into.
Yeh i think we're going to box it in at the moment, not much more work.

Does make me wonder about other gas pipes in myhouse... for example to my cooker hob. There's no visible pipe outside so the gas pipe for that must be routed in the walls somewhere...which seems 'OK'... which i guess is the same thing i have in my garage... in that i want to hide them in the wall.

Get it in writing from building control to say they are happy

Final bits finally here!
AC187D2D-6E5A-4BD0-B242-33EB0675B79D.jpeg
C198F082-0D62-4BFF-88FF-37F5BD17CA62.jpeg

Another blow... having the garage door flipped around to open the other way. Essentially take the frame off and insert a new frame and architrave, door, fixings and handles... it's not a standard size door frame... Cheapest quote for a joiner is £280! Not something i'm wanting to attempt myself unfortunately.

Keep in mind that the PB that’s being dot and dabbed must be stored so it doesn’t become distorted. Any distortions won’t knock out when being dabbed on, unlike screwing it to a stud wall.

Keep in mind that the PB that’s being dot and dabbed must be stored so it doesn’t become distorted. Any distortions won’t knock out when being dabbed on, unlike screwing it to a stud wall.
Thank you! I better go lay it down, never thought of that!

It doesn’t need to laid down necessarily horizontally, just that it needs to sit flat, if it’s against a curved wall for example or resting against each other with gaps between boards then they might bow.

I’d offer up a piece of your timber horizontally against your brick wall and rest the top of each sheet against that with no gaps and you should be fine.

A bit of progress the last few evenings.
Couple of pieces of wood short and a 2 plaster boards short also, so need to arrange another delivery

95FBA666-7DE3-407D-9780-B46F1D9C7665.jpeg
427DFFDE-45BA-473F-B327-7CEF9CEE1A61.jpeg

How wide is the room? It appears very narrow to have been a garage but that might just be the camera playing tricks.

He probably does not have the same lens the Estate Agents use, which I believe is custom make by NIKON to make all rooms look at least 50 ft wide x 100ft deep fro any angle ;)

Project looking amazing by the way.
Could have just put mastic around the garage door, emulsion on the walls, and throw straw on the ground to save money. Would kids have even cared? ;)

Last nights update

so fake chimney section now complete (so this hides our mains water coming into the house (water can be turn off the other side of the wall outside)

just insulated plasterboard to install now and attempting the dot and dabbing (a friend is coming to help who’s done it before)

EEA3CC3F-7765-4B51-97BE-8040E838A751.jpeg
3387A2F3-8121-46A3-A9DA-C059DDAF2B7D.jpeg

Plasterboard all done.

just need to give it a couple days to dry fully before guy comes and plasters.

2F8491A2-C3FF-47F3-B20C-E30E5931B3DD.jpeg

9454676D-BFB7-44A5-A836-C7C9CFE84700.jpeg

Attachments

• 58F08D2F-2D2F-4780-B51F-2BAD418CBADA.jpeg
    58F08D2F-2D2F-4780-B51F-2BAD418CBADA.jpeg
    161 KB · Views: 31
looking good. Your plastered supplying materials ?? There looks to be a shortage of multi finish locally to me so not sure if you may face the same issues ? Might be worth checking 👍

Yeah, looking good, same this area with the multi finish, those that have it are increasing prices (naughty).

You might want to put some corner/edge trim around the hole in you plasterboard, I think it's around a consumer unit, if you leave bare edge your plaster will flake away, it also gives the plasterer an edge to finish to.

looking good. Your plastered supplying materials ?? There looks to be a shortage of multi finish locally to me so not sure if you may face the same issues ? Might be worth checking 👍
Yeah, looking good, same this area with the multi finish, those that have it are increasing prices (naughty).

You might want to put some corner/edge trim around the hole in you plasterboard, I think it's around a consumer unit, if you leave bare edge your plaster will flake away, it also gives the plasterer an edge to finish to.
Also had a nightmare sourcing plaster here too. A couple of weekends ago i drove 40 mins to a wickes which was showing 505 bags of plaster the night before, got there for when it opened and 200+ people were queuing up outside... 99% there for plaster! I waited in the queue for 1hr and they ran out of stock (even limiting people to 5 bags per person... then i realised why people were going in couples - so they can get 10bags).

When i was ordering my wood i happened to ask if they had plaster in stock and she told me she had some due in a couple of days, so i managed to grab 5 bags.

Oh the consumer unit... this has caused arguments. I've wanted to box this in and puta door and handle on it... but the misses just wants to put a picture over it! I've let this one go as i've pretty much had it my own way so far (originally the room was going to be play room and utility room). But yes your right, i better but some edging on that section - cheers

So far so good. :)
Are you putting any access hole lids in your fake breast, in case of needed maintenance??

Are you putting any access hole lids in your fake breast, in case of needed maintenance??

I did think the same actually.
Having gas/water/electric type stuff, boxing it in and plastering over it, then decorating, whilst near and easy today, does sound like it could be something to regret in years to come if you have to tear great holes in it to gain access.
Some removable panel, built in nicely now, could save a whole load of regret at some point in the future.

Having gas/water/electric type stuff
Why would he need access to them? A house would need access points everywhere if that were the case

Why would he need access to them?
The first thing I did was to make access to everything that had access before.
Any place where there is a connector, valve, coupling, etc etc.
Cut out PB with razor knife (PB knife).
Just make a panel which is easy to remove, timber frame the inside edge of the PB with a little over size of hole, that way your panel will not fall through.
Then secure with a couple of screws with a caps on it.
I will tell you you will not regret it.

I did think the same actually.
Having gas/water/electric type stuff, boxing it in and plastering over it, then decorating, whilst near and easy today, does sound like it could be something to regret in years to come if you have to tear great holes in it to gain access.
Some removable panel, built in nicely now, could save a whole load of regret at some point in the future.
Why would he need access to them? A house would need access points everywhere if that were the case
The first thing I did was to make access to everything that had access before.
Any place where there is a connector, valve, coupling, etc etc.
Cut out PB with razor knife (PB knife).
Just make a panel which is easy to remove, timber frame the inside edge of the PB with a little over size of hole, that way your panel will not fall through.
Then secure with a couple of screws with a caps on it.
I will tell you you will not regret it.
In short, no. The only access we will have is to the consumer unit.

We did think about this, but we decided not to from a purely aesthetic point of view. I've taken pictures of the pipework behind, along with measurements in case i ever need to know where they are or get access to them. We did have a utility point from the water pipe, which i have capped off (in case that valve fails).

I do know where you are coming from with regards to access, but if we did have a water leak, we'd likely need to strip that whole section anyway, regardless if we have easy access or not.

I'm not sure that the faff of putting in access points now is worth it either, since it will be a matter of minutes to cut one in the right place if one is ever needed.
Keep that utilities layout map somewhere safe though :)

If you had an access panel, then there's probably just enough room to get a body in there. If not needed now, may be useful at some point in the future.

I may have missed this point, so forgive me to asking if this has already been covered.

Firstly It's looking amazing, VERY well done on making this such a pro job.
One little point that's niggling me a tiny bit, and just wondering about decisions at the start.
Is there a reason, why, when you go in your front door, you did not punch a hole in the wall, on the left in the hallway, which opened up into this new room, either a door, or a decorative archway?
to make it feel more open generally?

Just wondering :)

I may have missed this point, so forgive me to asking if this has already been covered.

Firstly It's looking amazing, VERY well done on making this such a pro job.
One little point that's niggling me a tiny bit, and just wondering about decisions at the start.
Is there a reason, why, when you go in your front door, you did not punch a hole in the wall, on the left in the hallway, which opened up into this new room, either a door, or a decorative archway?
to make it feel more open generally?

Just wondering :)
It's a good question.

We was originally going to have it open from the hallway as you came in the house. However (a) it was extra cost to have a support put in. (b) we wouldn't be able to see the kids from the kitchen and would have to walk to the other end of the house to check they were ok. So these were the main reason why we decided against it. It probably doesn't mean much without knowing the floor plan of the house, so i've attached one below - hopefully that makes sense.

C77A37E4-3B7F-4EE8-83AE-B4F8532AB399.jpeg

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom