Question Maybe a daft question!!

Khans

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I am in the market for a sound bar a good all in one unit. I have seen the Beosound stage, Yamaha ysp5600 I was wondering if its worth buying a soundbar at moment as will be getting the xbox x series soon and that needs 2.1 HDMI or does this not effect the soundbar. Also any other recommendations of what soundbar to look for.

Do you have a TV that supports HDMI 2.1?

I have the older Yamaha YSP4100 and would happily go for the 5600. The only downside with the 5600 is the lack of DV and HDR10 pass through. The design is 5+ years old now. In practice, most BR players have the ability to split video and audio. However, where that concept doesn’t work well is with kit like AppleTV and PS consoles, which only have one output over which Dolby Vision and Atmos is presented. The Canton10 might be worth a look, perhaps.

sorry s

Yes the c9

Just make sure whatever soundbar you have has eARC, that way you can use the spare HDMI ports on your TV for Series X/PS5 and the soundbar will output lossless audio without any problems.

I have a C9 got the JBl Bar 9.1 to pair with it a few weeks back, I will be getting the Series X and PS5 and my current setup is ready to get the best out of next gen consoles. At the moment I have a One S connected and it works without issue.

Just make sure whatever soundbar you have has eARC, that way you can use the spare HDMI ports on your TV for Series X/PS5 and the soundbar will output lossless audio without any problems.

I have a C9 got the JBl Bar 9.1 to pair with it a few weeks back, I will be getting the Series X and PS5 and my current setup is ready to get the best out of next gen consoles. At the moment I have a One S connected and it works without issue.
Thanks so when I get the x series I can connect to the TV and the TV will send the sound out to the soundbar is this correct?

I have the older Yamaha YSP4100 and would happily go for the 5600. The only downside with the 5600 is the lack of DV and HDR10 pass through. The design is 5+ years old now. In practice, most BR players have the ability to split video and audio. However, where that concept doesn’t work well is with kit like AppleTV and PS consoles, which only have one output over which Dolby Vision and Atmos is presented. The Canton10 might be worth a look, perhaps.
May give this a miss then as have a shield and Xbox x which will be changed to the x series.

Looks like the beosound one or the arc is there any others I should consider.

Thanks so when I get the x series I can connect to the TV and the TV will send the sound out to the soundbar is this correct?

Yes, if your soundbar has eARC it will send lossless audio straight to the soundbar without issue but if the soundbar you get does not have eARC then the audio getting sent through from TV to soundbar. I'd avoid the YSP 5600 as it's old tech and does not have eARC.

The Beaosound stage is a good but it's atmos performance will be questionable due to the fact it has no dedicated upward firing speakers.

I'd suggest;

Samsung Q90 or the newer Q900T/Q950T
LG SN11YG
JBL Bar 9.1

One quick question on the jbl 9.1 can you leave the sides on permanently on unit? Or will it sound weird

I am a bit surprised that Yamaha hasn’t refreshed the YSP5600. It really is an excellent piece of kit, let down by just a few omissions. I doubt that they can be fixed in software though, hence the 5y old design. Pity.

One quick question on the jbl 9.1 can you leave the sides on permanently on unit? Or will it sound weird

Yes they can remain attached to the main unit, it won't try to do virtual 5.1.4 what it will do is is expand the front soundstage and keep it 3.1.2 I normally leave them attached and only take them off if I'm watching a movie or playing a game.

Yes they can remain attached to the main unit, it won't try to do virtual 5.1.4 what it will do is is expand the front soundstage and keep it 3.1.2 I normally leave them attached and only take them off if I'm watching a movie or playing a game.

Same for me!

The stage has earc and some of its speakers are angled upwards at 45 degrees so you do get at times a good atmos effect, however the caveat with atmos is its room and content dependant so you really need to listen for yourself, if you purchase online you can return within 14 days. I own a stage and before that the yamaha ysp 5100 the forerunner to the ysp 5600, the stage is of course a lot better . its a newer design with a lot of power .

The stage has earc and some of its speakers are angled upwards at 45 degrees so you do get at times a good atmos effect, however the caveat with atmos is its room and content dependant so you really need to listen for yourself, if you purchase online you can return within 14 days. I own a stage and before that the yamaha ysp 5100 the forerunner to the ysp 5600, the stage is of course a lot better . its a newer design with a lot of power .
I ended up getting the jbl 9.1 as couldn't resist the deal

I ended up getting the jbl 9.1 as couldn't resist the deal
as long as it works for you, thats all that matters.

Ive been told today by richer sounds that the YSP5600 has been discontinued and a replacement is in the pipeline..

Interesting. That would make sense as the 5600 is an old design, but overall it works well. To my mind all it needs is updated codec and HDR/DV support and it’s good to go. What I suspect that Yamaha might offer will bear no resemblance to the 4100/5100/5600 bars, and will be poorer for it. Time will tell. I just hope that my 4100 keeps plodding on for now.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom