Media player HDR10+ Atmos

LCR_Dave

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi guys. I’ve had a search but can’t find anything.
I have an NVidia shield running KODI for all my media library (Mainly full UHD Blu-ray rips). It passes through HDR and atmos through to my tv and soundbar perfectly but no HDR10+ support only Dolby vision.
My Samsung is HDR10+ and wondered if there is a media player I can buy to do this?
I ordered a Firestick 4k to load KODI as I read it passes HDR10+ through but I also read no atmos pass through so im hesitant to open it and maybe I should just send it back.
Thanks
Dave

Appreciate the links and have read through most what I understand but nothing really telling me if there’s a player in the market to buy that will do HDR10+ and lossless audio at the same time.
Best I can make out is CoreELEC is capable of HDR10+ on certain chipsets but I don’t really understand what that all means.
I’ll keep looking

Hi Dave,
I have an Odroid-N2 (4GB/32GB CoreELEC Edition) running the latest 9.2.2 version of CoreELEC. This version now includes support for HDR10+ while the audio support includes HiRes audio support. In my opinion this box is not suitable for beginners to this field, it's nowhere near as easy to setup and get going as the Nvidia Shield for example. The Odroid also doesn't come with a handset of any description and has no easily visible power indicator. However once set up it works really well. My main use for it is music playback and for this it plays 44.1, 48, 96, 176 and 192KHz FLAC files at the correct sample rates while DSD64 files play back at 192KHz. I'm using the Transparency Kodi skin which in my opinion makes for a great looking user experience but again this is not easy to configure for someone not familiar with Kodi skin configuration. I have a number of 4k and 1080p video test files and they all seem to light the correct indicators on my A-V receiver (I don't have any BD rips).

You can read more about the Odroid here:

And CoreELEC here:

--
JB

Hey, @JBA6 , have any of your 4K test files shown DV or HDR10 or HDR10+? How was the experience, does it have any issues shifting the larger files?
Hi Dave,
I have an Odroid-N2 (4GB/32GB CoreELEC Edition) running the latest 9.2.2 version of CoreELEC. This version now includes support for HDR10+ while the audio support includes HiRes audio support. In my opinion this box is not suitable for beginners to this field, it's nowhere near as easy to setup and get going as the Nvidia Shield for example. The Odroid also doesn't come with a handset of any description and has no easily visible power indicator. However once set up it works really well. My main use for it is music playback and for this it plays 44.1, 48, 96, 176 and 192KHz FLAC files at the correct sample rates while DSD64 files play back at 192KHz. I'm using the Transparency Kodi skin which in my opinion makes for a great looking user experience but again this is not easy to configure for someone not familiar with Kodi skin configuration. I have a number of 4k and 1080p video test files and they all seem to light the correct indicators on my A-V receiver (I don't have any BD rips).

You can read more about the Odroid here:

And CoreELEC here:

--
JB

Hi @eliotcole, Just finished watching the Shadows special on TV. I'll check in the morning for you.
However I can confirm that I have the odroid wired up with Cat 6 e'net cables on a Gigabit network and have not had any issues playing any media files from my NAS.
--
JB

Cheers, mate.

If you get a chance I'd be curious about files that are local to the player? (USB or onboard). I rarely stream, I've never managed to get my network running well enough for it ( ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ ), plus I'm paranoid of a crash or something on the server ... can't stand stopping a film or distractions ... ;-)

Obviously I'm not expecting or feeling entitled for you to do *anything* ... just purely if you know any of this off the top of your head was the original reason I asked ... If you have the ability and can be arsed to check anything else, I'm interested to hear it! :)
Hi @eliotcole, Just finished watching the Shadows special on TV. I'll check in the morning for you.
However I can confirm that I have the odroid wired up with Cat 6 e'net cables on a Gigabit network and have not had any issues playing any media files from my NAS.
--
JB

Well, sadly plugging my external USB 3 drive into the Odroid seems to have permanently taken out it's USB sub-system. So no further testing of the Odroid is going to be possible. Now to decide which of my two spare media players (A95X Max or Zidoo Z9S both currently running Android) will take it's place.
--
JB

JB thanks for the reply I’m reading up on it now, I am a noobie when it comes to this, well kind of I’ve messed around for years with stuff like this but it all leaves you behind when you turn your back for a while.
Thanks again

My Samsung is HDR10+ and wondered if there is a media player I can buy to do this?
The OSMC Vero 4K+ can output HDR10+ on locally streamed files, if that's what you're after, although it's not much use for internet streaming services like Netflix and Amazon.

The OSMC Vero 4K+ can output HDR10+ on locally streamed files, if that's what you're after, although it's not much use for internet streaming services like Netflix and Amazon.
Exactly what I’m after as long as it does it along with Dolby atmos/dts-x

Exactly what I’m after as long as it does it along with Dolby atmos/dts-x
Vero 4K+ can bitstream pretty much any audio format, including those. There is an unfortunate bug, though (which affects all Kodi devices, not just the Vero 4K+) that causes occasional audio drop-outs on Atmos titles when the bit-rate goes very high - Disney animations are often affected.

Vero 4K+ can bitstream pretty much any audio format, including those. There is an unfortunate bug, though (which affects all Kodi devices, not just the Vero 4K+) that causes occasional audio drop-outs on Atmos titles when the bit-rate goes very high - Disney animations are often affected.
That’s great I’ll check it out thank you

The new Dune 2020 players do HDR10+ and pass Atmos/DTSx.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom