Microsoft Buys Zenimax (Bethesda)

If I was MS I would consider putting some of the biggest IP's out on all platforms, Elder Scrolls 6 for example was a HUGE seller, mad not to want that money, BUT I sure as <insert swear> would make sure it was written with the Xbox in mind and played best on that console just to stick it to the competition. OK this is not likely but I like it in my mind palace..I am off there now, its lovely.

@apolloa can you lend me a few quid if you sold it for that much you must be able to afford it :)

Hahahaha I would be living on my lovely island if it really was ‘my’ company, as is rumoured where one of the directors, maybe one of the family that started the company? Not sure, anyway apparently they went off to some private island after the sale......
I always think I work for a big company, then realise it’s literally peanuts in value compared to the American tech giants! I believe Apple is now worth more then the entire U.K. debit and more.

Anyway I still think this is fantastic news, such a good move by Microsoft.

I also think this is why Xbox Live membership is fading - it's to tempt non console/pc users onto xcloud ala stadia (RIP). Why would they subscribe to GPU, if they perceive Xbox Live as part of it and something they wouldn't benefit from?

I read this a bit as it’s fine for Sony to take games away but not Xbox. People always say Xbox needs more games. This deal gives them that. Means everything is day one on gamepass and some will be exclusive. It’s not good for Ps owners I agree but neither is Sony locking timed deals away or Spider-Man nonsense for Xbox fans. We need to just try to move consoles into a space where every game is available on every system.

No, that’s not what I meant.
Although there will be people out there thinking this.

As for the Spider-Man specific thing. Sony own more than just game rights to Spider-Man.
As crap is it is that the 2018 Spider-Man game was PS exclusive, that’s Sony’s right as the rights holder to the general Spider-Man IP.

And I wholeheartedly agree that Sony gets all kinds of special treatment when it comes to content for multi platform games being exclusive to PlayStation, even if it is timed exclusivity.
Same with entire games from third party studios.
And it’s fine whenever Sony does it, but how dare Microsoft have something like a 6 month exclusivity on Tomb Raider.
Not my opinion, but one that a lot of people seem to have.

I will point out again that there is absolutely nothing wrong with first party exclusives.
If it’s a studio created or bought by Microsoft. Sony or Nintendo, and not some huge studio but someone smaller like Ninja Theory, then that’s not an issue.
Every console manufacturer has the right to have in-house developers making games that are only available on their console.
It’s the way it’s been since the days of SEGA v Nintendo(and even before then), and there should always be titles that you can’t get on this or that platform.
Otherwise what’s the driving decision to go with one console over another?

Yes you've jumped to the conclusion that going forward they won't be multiplat. Who knows at the moment. I doubt they would pass up the revenue easily but maybe use the talent from those devs to make other exclusives for Xbox.

Yes, because that’s the first thing that usually happens when studios/IPs are acquired by a console manufacturer.

I mean, even if the next Fallout or Elder Scrolls isn’t console exclusive to Xbox, it may as well be(kinda) as it’ll be day one on game pass.

However, it was pointed out, and not in this thread as far as I could see, that there was no mention of console exclusivity. Something that I did come back to mention.

What I was initially concerned with is that kind of precedent it sets, with a console manufacturer buying a huge company like Zenimax/Bethesda.
Microsoft may yet allow games developed by a company they now own to be published on other platforms, but would Sony be so sharing if they acquired Rockstar for example?
That’s what worries me.

MS had obviously decided to play the long game some years ago. Since then they’ve been steadily building an ecosystem. Today’s announcement is a monumental statement. A ginormous investment. They’ve the hardware at different price points, now they’ve a huge boost on the software front. It’s massive. Sony will be very worried tonight - Game Pass has just become an absolute Must Have, whether on Xbox or PC.

Yeah pretty much. There is no way PlayStation will allow xcloud on their system but MS have it on androids and Phil seems bullish on getting it on iPhones.

There will be options for people to play the games that aren’t coming to PlayStation. And they won’t all involve buying new hardware.

Before long it will be a pre installed app on TV's i have no doubt, especially with their Samsung partnerships. Can't see why there wouldn't be availability on the likes of LG and others going forward.

Before long it will be a pre installed app on TV's i have no doubt, especially with their Samsung partnerships. Can't see why there wouldn't be availability on the likes of LG and others going forward.
Well they already partner with Samsung for the Galaxy phones. TV next...

MS had obviously decided to play the long game some years ago. Since then they’ve been steadily building an ecosystem. Today’s announcement is a monumental statement. A ginormous investment. They’ve the hardware at different price points, now they’ve a huge boost on the software front. It’s massive. Sony will be very worried tonight - Game Pass has just become an absolute Must Have, whether on Xbox or PC.
Maybe for the ultimate hardcore gamer but for everyone else who leaves the console over the summer apart from a bit of Fifa or COD I don't think much has changed.

This is just crazy, I don't think anyone saw this coming. Very exciting for Xbox owners with gamepass and hopefully they can get to work immediately on making a series X version of Skyrim on gamepass we all need I'm out lives.

Can Sony afford to compete on this level? I know they've been buying exclusivity but for Ms to just swoop in and buy the company that Sony bought that from is ridiculous. With the financial backing they have they could easily turn the game development side in to the same monopolies as the consoles.

Maybe for the ultimate hardcore gamer but for everyone else who leaves the console over the summer apart from a bit of Fifa or COD I don't think much has changed.

Not for the absolute casuals, but Xbox owning, fallout, Doom, Dishonoured, Deathloop and the highly anticipated Starfield is a big big deal and definitely moves the needle significantly. Which selfishly I wish they’d waited two days till I’d got my pre order.

Do you think, as Phil has a background as a programmer I believe? He said well it isn’t my money, when they settled on a price? Lol.

Better than buying tiktok eh? Although, Please Standby for all the 'Fallout isn't as good as it was' comments

Just need Ubisoft on Game Pass now, then I'm set.
Bang on cue in the PS section 😂😂 Like clockwork from the usual faces.

also apparently doom is too fast and exciting for old gamers. So don’t care about doom. Too fast.No one uses Id engines now anyway.

And so on.

Before long we will go back to chatting about how amazing it is that we have a £70 PS3 remake day one (!) and two brand new PS5 exclusive launch games too that can’t be done on last gen - (both from Microsoft game studios 😂😂😂)

Last edited:
I certainly never saw this coming, but I welcome it. To be frank - Xbox fans have taken much flack from elsewhere. That’s all I have to say about that.

also apparently doom is too fast and exciting for old gamers. So don’t care about doom. Too fast.No one uses Id engines now anyway.

And so on. Before long we will go back to chatting about how amazing it is that we have a PS3 remake day one and two brand new PS5 exclusive launch games too - (both from from Microsoft game studios 😂😂😂)
As the new owners can they delay the new titles to after hall infinite is finished as unfinished leaving the ps5 with just a ps5 remake 😂

Yep, don't keep them exclusive, let Sony, Nintendo or even Steam users pay full price to fund development for them!
Boom. You got it.
Gamepass day one for subs.

Happy for you guys to play it on PS5 - 60 quid please 😊 oh you want fallout and scrolls - that’s 120 quid.

Are you sure you don’t want to just sub to game pass? Series s is only 250? Get a month free when you buy one anyhow?

ahh doom 3 - 60 quid please. And so on.

the sales of these mega franchises onSony platforms will fund development of games and ip owned by Microsoft. Sony gamers and ninty to a lesser degree will be paying full price for these games so people subbing to Gamepass get them on the sub 😂😂

With EA access already on Gamepass - it’s juts Ubisoft. And ms already have marketing ties with them for the latest assassins creed game.

Microsoft game studios are releasing more PS5 only games at launch than Sony WWS . 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Last edited:

And so on. Before long we will go back to chatting about how amazing it is that we have a PS3 remake day one and two brand new PS5 exclusive launch games too - (both from from Microsoft game studios 😂😂😂)

It’s amazing how out of the long and diverse list of Zenimax/Bethesda games and IP that so many ‘aren’t interested in any of them’. Hmmmmmm

Just when you thought gamepass couldn’t get any better value. Adding EA Play was huge and you started to think ‘how are they making money on this’ and then they go and break out the wad and add some amazing IPs and some great developers that I’m sure will also develop new IP and it’ll all be on gamepass day 1!

Massive, massive deal.

It’s amazing how out of the long and diverse list of Zenimax/Bethesda games and IP that so many ‘aren’t interested in any of them’. Hmmmmmm
Hopefully they all come to PC gamepass @ £3.99 a month

Its not 3.99 after this month. Its doubling to 7.99
All these purchases taking their toll, I'll cancel it til Halo comes out

Haha I’ve seen that everywhere, or the games are poor, or crap! Yeah rrriiggghhhtttttt..

ok come on MS, youR profits were up on the back of all this cloud stuff so why not get something sorted with ubi. If they could add Ubisoft games to Gamepass along with everything else / end game really.

or buy R*? That is a machine that prints money And super high profile.

exciting days for gamers that’s for sure.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom