Microsoft Buys Zenimax (Bethesda)

Cha1ky

Outstanding Member
Reaction score

Welcoming the Talented Teams and Beloved Game Franchises of Bethesda to Xbox
by Phil Spencer, Head of Xbox • Sep 21, 2020 @ 6:00am

Critically acclaimed creators of The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM, Dishonored, Quake, Starfield and more join Team Xbox

Today is a special day, as we welcome some of the most accomplished studios in the games industry to Xbox. We are thrilled to announce Microsoft has entered into an agreement to acquire ZeniMax Media, parent company of Bethesda Softworks.
As one of the largest, most critically acclaimed, privately held game developers and publishers in the world, Bethesda is an incredibly talented group of 2,300 people worldwide who make up some of the most accomplished creative studios in our industry across Bethesda Softworks, Bethesda Game Studios, id Software, ZeniMax Online Studios, Arkane, MachineGames, Tango Gameworks, Alpha Dog, and Roundhouse Studios. These are the teams responsible for franchises like The Elder Scrolls, Fallout, Wolfenstein, DOOM, Dishonored, Prey, Quake, Starfield and many more.
Bethesda’s games have always had a special place on Xbox and in the hearts of millions of gamers around the world. Our teams have a close and storied history working together, from the amazing first DOOM, and its id Tech engine, innovating games on PCs to Bethesda bringing their first console game to the original Xbox, the groundbreaking The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind. Over the years I’ve had many deep conversations with the creative leaders at Bethesda on the future of gaming and we’ve long shared similar visions for the opportunities for creators and their games to reach more players in more ways.
Just as they took the bold first steps to bring The Elder Scrolls franchise to the original Xbox, Bethesda were early supporters of Xbox Game Pass, bringing their games to new audiences across devices and have been actively investing in new gaming technology like cloud streaming of games. We will be adding Bethesda’s iconic franchises to Xbox Game Pass for console and PC. One of the things that has me most excited is seeing the roadmap with Bethesda’s future games, some announced and many unannounced, to Xbox console and PC including Starfield, the highly anticipated, new space epic currently in development by Bethesda Game Studios.
Like us, Bethesda are passionate believers in building a diverse array of creative experiences, in exploring new game franchises, and in telling stories in bold ways. All of their great work will of course continue and grow and we look forward to empowering them with the resources and support of Microsoft to scale their creative visions to more players in new ways for you.
All of our work, and the foundation of our relationship with you, starts with a commitment to deliver a breadth of amazing games to discover and play on Xbox. Over the last few weeks, we’ve been excited to share more detail on important elements of a plan we’ve been building towards for years. A plan that is the fulfilment of a promise, to you the Xbox player, to deliver the most performant, immersive and compatible next-generation gaming experiences, and the freedom to play blockbuster games with your friends, anytime, anywhere. Today is a landmark step in our journey together and I’m incredibly energized by what this step means for Xbox.
Please join me in welcoming all of our friends at Bethesda to Team Xbox.

Absolutely huge news!!!!

Playstation Right Now......

1600694842377.png

Ah Cha1ky you’ve done an Andy! Can’t believe it! :facepalm: :rotfl:

Better than buying tiktok eh? Although, Please Standby for all the 'Fallout isn't as good as it was' comments

Just need Ubisoft on Game Pass now, then I'm set.

Better than buying tiktok eh? Although, Please Standby for all the 'Fallout isn't as good as it was' comments

Just need Ubisoft on Game Pass now, then I'm set.
The recent one with PTW (Fallout 76l was a disaster. I loved Fallout 4 though.

Blimey - and just before the Doom expansion (which is series X ready). Have to wonder if that's delayed to the X launch date.

Microsoft splashing the cash.

BOOM !!!
That’s a scoop and a half.

A day before pre orders go live.....nicely done Mr Spencer!

Its an absolutely huge deal - the list of IP and games (stuff I grew up with like Doom and Wolf to Fallout and Dishonoured etc) is absolutely insane here. Nobody thought it was possible for any of the console players to buy a big publisher....Microsoft just blew the bloody doors off here.

Waiting for ZT to come along and tell us all why this is a negative 🤔🤔🤔

Waiting for ZT to come along and tell us all why this is a negative 🤔🤔🤔
Well it could quite clearly be a negative to a PlayStation gamer no? Suppose it will depend on what happens with future titles.

As if Gamepass wasnt already a beast of a bargain..... With all these superbly talented teams producing content for it also, wow. Amazing news.

Great acquisition by Microsoft and it’ll be interesting to see if future games will be exclusive to Xbox. I could be wrong, but surely they’ll still be multi-platform, as they would be losing out on extra income from the Playstation side? If games are going to be Xbox exclusive though and available on Game Pass on release then that’s huge.

Yep, don't keep them exclusive, let Sony, Nintendo or even Steam users pay full price to fund development for them!

Great acquisition by Microsoft and it’ll be interesting to see if future games will be exclusive to Xbox. I could be wrong, but surely they’ll still be multi-platform, as they would be losing out on extra income from the Playstation side? If games are going to be Xbox exclusive though and available on Game Pass on release then that’s huge.

Surely they will still be multi platform. I’d imagine it’s likely we will get them first and on game pass with possibly some exclusive content . I hope it’s not restricting to other consoles.

Highly doubt the games will be exclusive... just think of all the lost revenue. It would be like the worst business decision ever.

Timed exclusive seems more likely, which seems like a bonus to PS users, as it allows xbox users bug test before releasing the polished less broken version to PS 8 weeks later.

They will stay cross platform but maybe timed exclusives for Xbox and avaliable free on day one to Gamepass subscribers is my guess.

Gamepass was already in a league of its own, this just makes it even stronger.

Highly doubt the games will be exclusive... just think of all the lost revenue. It would be like the worst business decision ever.

Same could be said for PS Exclusives not coming to PC....think of all that lost revenue.
Games Sell Consoles we are constantly told by Gamers.

I would certainly buy the console that had the next Doom or Wolfenstein. Brand loyelty would not stop me from shooting Nazi's and slaying demons no Sir !

As part of this announcement hidden away was the news that GamePass now has 15 Million Subscribers, up from 10 Million from last June. 5 Million in just over a year even before all of these announcements and new consoles going on sale tomorrow.

I think we are definitely going to see a lot of timed exclusives. It’s a tough choice in a way. Spend £60 per game on the PS5 or get a XSS and Gamepass. Interesting to see what MS will do with the IPs. Also they now own Deathloop and Ghostwire Tokyo which are times PS5 exclusives.

That is some announcement to unleash the day before pre-orders open for the new consoles.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom