Midway Review & Comments

Going out on a limb here, and going to say that I get the feeling that you weren't impressed with this Movie. :)
(I've not been a Member anything like as long as many of you, but what was the last Movie to Score a "3"?)

After watching the trailer it seemed like another Pearl Harbour with dodgy dialogue and weirdly old school Pearl Harbour like CGI. Not for me I'm afraid but I will give it a try once its on Netflix or the telly.

Lack of substance aside, what is the action like? Good enough to be worth a watch in the cinema? And enough of it?

After watching the trailer it seemed like another Pearl Harbour with dodgy dialogue and weirdly old school Pearl Harbour like CGI.
AND no Kate Beckinsale!

Going out on a limb here, and going to say that I get the feeling that you weren't impressed with this Movie. :)
(I've not been a Member anything like as long as many of you, but what was the last Movie to Score a "3"?)

Yes, it's quite rare, this year:

Kumari gave Men in Black: International a 2/10.

Sharuna gave the new Hellboy a 3.

Simon gave Batman & Robin a 3 and the new Robin Hood a 4.

I gave Besson's Anna, Escape Plan II and Redcon-1 a 3/10 and Netflix's Another Life, Unicorn Store and Murder Mystery a 4/10 but, you're right, we don't often go that low.

The productions - for me at least - have to be insultingly stupid.

I saw this movie a couple of days ago and i’m sorry but i don’t agree with the conclusion of your review.
Is there a good script ? No but this is all about the action because the story is as it is , real history.
The action is well done and the sound mix was amazing (saw it with Atmos) and the movie took me along for the ride.
I was never expecting a deep going character building movie/story because come on it’s Roland Emmerich , so to expect one was just wishful thinking.

I’m giving the movie a 7 for it was a good time to watch and for all the action scenes.

Oh man... I love that movie. Ships, fights and Aliens ! What's not to like.
It's so absurdly silly it's fun. And the fact that the projectiles that the Aliens fire are modelled on the pegs from the Battleships Board Game makes it even better for me! :)

What a shame; this sounds like the ultimate turkey. I’ll maybe watch it on Blu-ray or a streaming service.

Tora! Tora! Tora! Is still *the* benchmark movie of the genre. Tension, great pace, action, practical effects and a sombre tone. I don’t know why modern America movies get it so wrong!

Regards,
James.

3/10....yep, appears to have lived up to my low expectations for it. I was imagining something even worse than Pearl Harbour, and it sounds like its delivered in spades. Hats of to Roland Emmerich for fattening up this turkey long before Christmas.

Sounds like the movie itself might be pretty bad but hopefully the soundtrack will have some redeeming features to it. I don't mind getting the odd film to use as demo pieces for the home theatre if it has a good scene or two in it. Be interesting to see what rating the soundtrack gets when it comes to blu-ray.

Thx for the review.

I couldn't even finish watching the trailer. So much cliche, so much CGI, such transparent characters, so much American macho bull. I think I'd watch the 1976 'Midway' any day of the week over this.

What’s this? A Roland Emmerich film that’s shit? Well, blow me down with the proverbial.

I must admit, after reading a number of Midway reviews, there's a good chance I would really enjoy the disaster master's latest. The emphasis is on the bigger story, minimizing the hand-wringing soya-induced modern romance melodrama, sticking to vast visuals and the gung-ho square-jaws of the Greatest Generation. And the sound design is exceptional. I think I will buy it.

Just out of a screening and it lives up to being a Roland Emmerich movie. One dimensional characters, terrible dialogue and no depth. Even with historic events and people to draw from it felt cartoonish in its approach to the storytelling. It tried to be balanced but was so poorly conceived that it felt dishonourable in its good intentions to showing both sides of the tale.
Technically it was superbly shot, edited and scored. The sound mix in Atmos is incredible, especially during the dog fights and bombing runs, and in that respect, the action is superbly handled. I also didn't find myself looking at my watch as the pacing was tight, but then he wasn't going for story or character development. Overall I'd give it a 5.5/10

Yup. Expected it to be dross and, seems that's the case.

Probably turn up on Netflix within 3-4 months so will catch it there.

Honestly wasn't too fond of this redo, ill stick with the original.

Sounds like the movie itself might be pretty bad but hopefully the soundtrack will have some redeeming features to it. I don't mind getting the odd film to use as demo pieces for the home theatre if it has a good scene or two in it. Be interesting to see what rating the soundtrack gets when it comes to blu-ray.

Thx for the review.

I actually enjoyed the movie but prefer the older version of it.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom