Migrating to MAC... I think?

NonPayingMember

Previously Liam @ Prog AV
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I need some advice before I go and potentially waste a lot of money! I want a MAC. I always have done and I always will do! But I'm worried that I've overlooked the transition as to me it doesn't look too tricky. I use Macromedia for web and graphics which I have MAC s/ware for, I use Outlook a lot but can easily export that to another email package or use Office 2004 for MAC as a last resort, same for Excel, and I don't use many external devices except a HP printer/copier/fax (which never bloody works in windows anyway!). I can always dual-boot windows if I'm really up **** creek, and I have a laptop for programming on-site or at home on my windows machine. Most of my day is spent browsing forums with Firefox anyway :rolleyes:

So am I missing something obvious or can I generally get an emulator for anything I can't do in MAC OS?? Anyone who has done similar to what I am about to do I would love to hear your experiences? i.e. what has caused you the most stress in making the changeover? Do these emulators slow down the machine to the point I might just as well stick with what I have here or am I really gonna get my 2 grands worth out of this?

Sorry for all the questions! Oh and incase it has a bearing I'm going Mac Pro 2 x 2gHz, 1gb RAM, 160g HD (have 1tb file servers) etc

THanks!

I moved to mac a year ago.:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

The only thing to be aware of is that you will have to change mail programs from outlook to "mail". Your diary moves from outlook to "ical" but it can still synchronise with mobiles/PDAs.

Otherwise you will love it and never go back!!!!!

Liam @ Prog AV said:
can I generally get an emulator for anything I can't do in MAC OS??

Why are there so many emulators available for running Windows on Mac?

If you only have one computer or mainly exchange files with Mac users then Mac is a good way to go.

However if you regularly exchange files with PC users, need to network with other PCs, mount PC drives etc etc. then stick to PC.

If you want a stylish robust machine that you don't expect to upgrade / modify then a Mac is great.

If you like tinkering, upgrading, modding, then there's probably more scope on PC.

Right, must get back down under the parapet and put my hard hat on - I promised I wouldn't ever get involved in a Mac / PC debate again.

regards

Brian

p.s have both, use both, never ending source of grief but have to keep the clients happy so we have to be capable of interacting with both.

I moved to MACS three years ago and now all my machines are mac (powerbooks, imacs). The only thing I dual boot for is access to run a few database bits at work.

My wife uses the macs for design stuff, Internet etc and I use it for everything now - inc excel and powerpoints, video editing etc.

I have never looked back but am worried about how I must sound to PC users at work who just dont seem to understand my new found mac passion!:D

I will in all likliehood end up with powerbook and an imac at home too! But this is for my office. Filesharing is only to a Buffalo Linkstation, but I do have a networked HP printer/scanner which I expect I will lose. Might see if I can set it up as a local printer to the Linkstation via the MAC, and for the PC it can be a network printer.

But what worries me is that you guys don't like the idea of mixed networks. Is it just file-sharing from PC to MAC and vice-versa? Seeing as I could never get this working properley with windows anyway no major loss LOL LOL. I assume iTunes on PC can find iTunes on MAC? It's just windows file sharing that will (continue to) not work.

Have been a PC tweaker for years (built first x86 machine when I was 11). But have had enough, this is exactly why I want the MAC. I want robust, fast, 'ard, and sexy :D

Also does anyone have one of these Mac Pros??? They look the absolute nuts! I assume I'm going for the right model here??

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm feeling more confident about this (my credit card on the other hands is cacking itself!)

I have never owned a p.c . Mac's from day one , since 1998. I will not dis p.c's as most Mac users tend to do , my wife uses mac and p.c , but will only say i look forward to using my mac when doing anything from my itunes , photography,whatever else. Reliable, virus free and very easy on the eye . I still use my first imac as it still works very well with most programs , apart from latest photoshop C.S, not bad for a really old machine . Now i use a g5 imac , 1 year old . I know you would be fine with a mac , and don't often hear of people going back on their choice . Mine was a refurbed one off the "Apple store" , came with a mint casing , new mouse and keyboard and years guarantee, and nearly £400 cheaper than it was when new . You could do worse by getting one of these to dip your toe in .

Mac? you wont regret it! Now with ther intel chip which means you can use Windows OS as well Mac OS10.
I bought my G5 last year and absolutely love it. Only snag( with mine) is lack of compatability with MSN products and the fact iChat & iSight can only be used with other Mac users:thumbsdow . Just takes a while to get used to but its easy and the tutorials are great.:smashin:

bsuttie said:
Why are there so many emulators available for running Windows on Mac?

If you only have one computer or mainly exchange files with Mac users then Mac is a good way to go.

However if you regularly exchange files with PC users, need to network with other PCs, mount PC drives etc etc. then stick to PC.

If you want a stylish robust machine that you don't expect to upgrade / modify then a Mac is great.

If you like tinkering, upgrading, modding, then there's probably more scope on PC.

Right, must get back down under the parapet and put my hard hat on - I promised I wouldn't ever get involved in a Mac / PC debate again.

regards

Brian

p.s have both, use both, never ending source of grief but have to keep the clients happy so we have to be capable of interacting with both.
Go away heathen!:D

Liam @ Prog AV said:
I assume iTunes on PC can find iTunes on MAC?
Yep there won't be any problems there. You'll be able to share music on both platforms.

In the early days of PCs you could argue Macs had their advantages with a very user friendly interface.
Since then I don't see the point. The Mac comeback hasn't been through making their computers better than PCs but through slick marketing about selling a certain lifestyle - a bit like selling sanitary towels. :D

All IMO <flame suit on>

I also was an original 386 builder (for gaming on my 28.8 modem-lol) right through till a few years back (Macs and xbox360's now).

My work network is all PC bar me (and my newly refitted Mac class) - takes a bit of tinkering sometimes but any network manager can work out any issues - MACS talk to everything!

I got work to buy me the new macbook pro (titanium) thingy - buily in camera etc - it's the mutts nuts! Go for it!

Pete

:clap:

Liam @ Prog AV said:
Also does anyone have one of these Mac Pros??? They look the absolute nuts! I assume I'm going for the right model here??

Thanks for all the replies so far. I'm feeling more confident about this (my credit card on the other hands is cacking itself!)

Liam @ Prog AV said:

Personally, I think the 2x2.66Ghz is at the sweet spot in the range, but they all look like great machines and the pricing was a real suprise for a Xeon workstation. If I could justify one, I'd buy one in a second. I've tried real hard though, and have to grudingly accept that I don't really need all that oomph :(

Hi Liam

Keep in mind you'll have to start Cycling to work, eating Tofu and enrolling in a Yoga class or two!!!

Best regards

Joe

:rotfl: :rotfl:
Joe Fernand said:
Hi Liam

Keep in mind you'll have to start Cycling to work, eating Tofu and enrolling in a Yoga class or two!!!

Best regards

Joe
don't forget the open toe sandals..

Here we go ! Beige plastic brigade starting up . Honestly , ipods and titanium laptops ,way cool ,and not a hippy in sight . Come on.

Hi rob64

Toys for the well off, grown up hippies :)

Best regards

Joe

PS Plenty of 'Beige' Macs (and MAC clones) have been used in vengeance around here - inc a very expensive one at the heart of an AVID edit suite (when we had one!).

Joe Fernand said:
Hi rob64

Toys for the well off, grown up hippies :)

Best regards

Joe

PS Plenty of 'Beige' Macs (and MAC clones) have been used in vengeance around here - inc a very expensive one at the heart of an AVID edit suite (when we had one!).
They are not that expensive nowdays:nono:

Overpriced, overhyped, lifestyle cack. There is NOTHING you can do on a Mac that you can't do just as well, and for less expense, on a pc. And still a lot of stuff that will not work on a Mac. For instance, how often have you looked at the cover of a dvd only to see "not compatible with macintosh computers" on it?

Do yourself a favour and spend your money on the most extravagant pc you can find. Then buy yourself a new car with the money you've saved.

I find Macs so much easier to mantain and troubleshoot, etc. Yes you pay a premium for the apple logo. But the OSX is great and with Leopard coming next year its going to get even better. And the intel imac is a amazing piece of hardware geared towards everyone to use.

http://www.apple.com/uk/macosx/leopard/

Also apples iLife software thats come with every mac is great way of sharing photos, editing movies, creating custom dvds, creating music, and making websites, all interact with each other and very easy to use. I have been using macs for over 14 years, so i am biased. :hiya:

la gran siete said:
They are not that expensive nowdays:nono:
Why the ' :nono: '? On the laptop front;

If you look at what Apple give you for the entry Macbook, you're charged a couple hundred £ more for equivalent Windows spec...read over-priced. Sure they give you free software - and OSX is superb, but you only get integrated graphic with standard ram and HD space

Not to mention Apple won't depart from their strict design ethic, so their laptops have no vents. Looks nice...until your knees melt

My sister has an iMAC G5 and I find it a pain to use. I'm so used to the right click mouse button of a PC, I find it just doesn't give you enough control.

And while other companies fall over themselves trying to hand out free emails, she pays £50 a year just to keep an @mac.com email address!

Joe90sDad said:
My sister has an iMAC G5 and I find it a pain to use. I'm so used to the right click mouse button of a PC, I find it just doesn't give you enough control.
Mighty Mouse is the answer to this if you want mac design otherwise a standard MS 3 button mouse will do fine!

Joe90sDad said:
And while other companies fall over themselves trying to hand out free emails, she pays £50 a year just to keep an @mac.com email address!
.mac is more than an email - file storage/sharing, website, etc - I find .mac very useful and it isn't my main email account but I do use it more and more as time goes on - money well spent!

LFC_SL said:
Why the ' :nono: '? On the laptop front;

If you look at what Apple give you for the entry Macbook, you're charged a couple hundred £ more for equivalent Windows spec...read over-priced. Sure they give you free software - and OSX is superb, but you only get integrated graphic with standard ram and HD space

Not to mention Apple won't depart from their strict design ethic, so their laptops have no vents. Looks nice...until your knees melt
i dont use a laptop, strictly G5 which is the dogs cojones. Pc ?? Bah!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom