migrating to UK from USA.... anyone got any tips?

Yup, meeting someone online who lives in Swansea and turns out to be a gremlin is very different from someone who lives in Arkansas coming over.

being honest, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Both married, met online, different countries. Your real name is Daz.

Not going well so far. :laugh:

Checking the latest fees on the Home Office site (HERE), the fee for Indefinite Leave alone is just over £2,200. I think £7-8k is more of a realistic figure now. Absolutely ridiculous.

Bugger. I haven't even looked in to that yet as we are years away from it. Might as well start saving now, haha.

Have you really not met each other? I'm pretty sure you have interviews etc & you have to tell the story of how you met, fell in love etc so they can (try) ensure it's not a sham marriage etc

I think there are only interviews in rare cases nowadays. But you are asked to prove your relationship with photos, chat logs, travel itineraries and so on.

not yet, im probably jumping the gun, i just want to find out how easy it all is. still a long way to go but i like to be prepared.

In that case it may be pertinent to do all this nearer time when this can be a reality. The rules, regulations and fees for these things keep changing so all your research now may mean nothing if this wont be a reality for say another 2-5 years.

As others have mentioned you'll be interviewed or asked to provide evidence for how/when you met, how long you've known each other etc... so say for arguments sake its another year down the line where she comes over and you go over to build up some history, thats still time for fees to go up, thresholds to change, rules to be amended. If you need to earn over a certain amount first and you're not quite there, that puts your first spanner in the works so would be something you'd have to rectify.

Obviously theres no harm in having a look at prepping yourself but it seems a way off yet, if only to get the application requirements met.

best of luck

Saf

One thing to be aware of if you do get married is to look in to the benefits of marrying in England vs USA. A friend of mine married an American girl and if they married in the USA they could live there OR England. However if they married in the UK they could ONLY live here. Don't know why but look in to that.

Also you need to make sure your marriage is legally binding in the country in which you are married to ensure that you can bring your wife here on a spouse visa.

One thing to be aware of if you do get married is to look in to the benefits of marrying in England vs USA. A friend of mine married an American girl and if they married in the USA they could live there OR England. However if they married in the UK they could ONLY live here. Don't know why but look in to that.

Also you need to make sure your marriage is legally binding in the country in which you are married to ensure that you can bring your wife here on a spouse visa.
He could enter and live in the US as he married to a US citizen, but he wouldn't be able to work or get paid for gainful employment.

Subscribing, pictures now and when you actually meet will be interesting ;)

well, ive done enough vid chats now to know what she really looks like. i would post some photos but i dont want you old geezers getting hot under the collar :D

Yup, meeting someone online who lives in Swansea and turns out to be a gremlin is very different from someone who lives in Arkansas coming over.

being honest, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

Both married, met online, different countries. Your real name is Daz.

Not going well so far. :laugh:

oh, and i have a son too! just to make it even more interesting.

i know what you mean dude, it does sound like that doesnt it!

whats the Daz thing?

well, ive done enough vid chats now to know what she really looks like. i would post some photos but i dont want you old geezers getting hot under the collar :D
Is she and her friend paying for their own plane ticket to London or have they asked you to pay for it? ;)
The Skype sex scam - a fortune built on shame - BBC News

In all seriousness though, you sure everything checks out? Just be aware of any red flags - send me money for bills, my child is ill I need money for hospital bills etc :)

I believe the yoof call it Catfishing, there I said it. The Op is absolutely entitled to do what he wants, but there are so, so many underlying factors here.

If she is from the potato farms in Idaho as a crude example, the London will likely scare the hello out of here, NYC not so much.

Many Americans that I know rarely cross the state line never mind relocate with kid in two to a new continent to play happy families with a internet contact. The readjustments needed are immense too, from a cultural perspective.

So many other things to consider but I don't want to rain on your parade, just relaying my personal experiences

whats the Daz thing?

Daz was involved in a complex sexual/emotional triangle the details of which he wasn't entirely honest about and one of the other parties discovered the thread and challenged him on it. He has since gone to ground.

Daz was involved in a complex sexual/emotional triangle the details of which he wasn't entirely honest about and one of the other parties discovered the thread and challenged him on it. He has since gone to ground.

I sincerely hope this doesn't turn into Daz Mk 2.

Seriously though, Liam. Be careful. Try to speak about what's going on with your friends as they would have slightly less clouded judgement.

Last edited:
I've booked the month off and already started taking screen shots.

I'm now imagining Daz turn up at his door with a blonde wig on.

I really do have an overactive imagination.

IG already has, a mere hour before you posted.

Liam, how old is her kid? Personally I'd be worried about her age and the potential for this to be a knee-jerk reaction to something that happened between her and her man, internet relationships are different from real life ones with farting and nose picking. All the best.

IG already has, a mere hour before you posted.

Liam, how old is her kid? Personally I'd be worried about her age and the potential for this to be a knee-jerk reaction to something that happened between her and her man, internet relationships are different from real life ones with farting and nose picking. All the best.

Ah, missed that post. Im clued in now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom