migrating to UK from USA.... anyone got any tips?

but obviously we wouldnt just take a kid out of the USA without approval etc. so i dont see the relevance.
What does the child's father think about this, I assume it's come up in conversation?

Is he on the scene?

but obviously we wouldnt just take a kid out of the USA without approval etc. so i dont see the relevance.

Can you not be so melodramatic? And not assume that I'm some vindictive harpy who would just rip a child from his father? Because I wouldn't.
Idiotic.
So what is plan B if both your respective partners want the children to remain in the US/UK respectively?

Lets put it this way. If my GF said to me she was leaving me and moving to the USA and taking our daughter. I wouldn't be giving my approval.

Can you not be so melodramatic? And not assume that I'm some vindictive harpy who would just rip a child from his father? Because I wouldn't.
Idiotic.

Hardly melodramatic to point out critical legal flaws in the plan I wouldn't say.

where in the plan did we say we would take a child out of a country without parental approval? obviously we know that would be illegal.

anyway, mods can close this now. its not worth continuing now with any more.

Really? Is that in the US or UK?

Not the UK

Get permission to take a child abroad - GOV.UK

upload_2017-5-12_14-20-59.png

Really? Is that in the US or UK?

US, you can visitation rights etc but whoever has full custody can move and you have no say unless you have some valid points.

Example: Custody holder gets lucrative job, vindictive ex says you can't move, what then.

That's why the law is the law, I have know a friend his kids moved literally half a world away, Hawaii actually. No say in it as "I don't want them to go" is not a valid legal reason.

But if one parent has no custody? They will not need to provide permission?

That's how I read it, as if the non custody parent is a complete fudgewit they can make things impossible if you wanted to take a position abroad (which usually means you have a decent job) and can afford to give the kid/kids a good school/learning a different culture etc.

That's how I read it, as if the non custody parent is a complete fudgewit they can make things impossible if you wanted to take a position abroad (which usually means you have a decent job) and can afford to give the kid/kids a good school/learning a different culture etc.

I'm guessing it would go to family court and be decided there. It would soon become clear if the parent had any valid reasons the children couldn't move abroad. I've read about stories like this, and in each time the process was costly and timely.

You would have to lose all parental responsibility in order to have no say in whether you child goes to live on another continent. Of course you can give permission, maybe with caveats like a return visit frequency or some such.

You would have to lose all parental responsibility in order to have no say in whether you child goes to live on another continent. Of course you can give permission, maybe with caveats like a return visit frequency or some such.

Hmmmmm, so the American Dad would have to be a proper deadbeat, or give permission for his child to move to the UK. And i'm guessing to lose all custody you have to have to have a list of problems like alcohol / drugs dependence, criminal record?

I wonder how this panned out? Neither party seem to be active on the forums anymore with the OP being a very regular contributor historically.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom