MK sound speakers (part 2)

As there a lot of educated bass people on this thread I thought id ask you all something about subs. I have been a long time MK user, absolutely love the sound. I have my lounge sounding great with just 1 sub (MK v8) and MK 7's, but recently put in another 5.1 MK in a much larger open plan extension area approx 9 x 6m with half of it a kitchen and the other half dining and TV area. Problem is the sofa is bang in the middle of a 4.7 x 6m open space, which is making balancing the bass a bit tricky. Anthem ARC can do a good job from MLP but near the boundries the bass after ARC is massively reinforced eg - in the dining area behind sofa, even standing up almost doubles the percevied bass. Also has a pitched roof whihc probably wont be helping. So my question is, would adding another sub level out the bass allover including near walls or just add to the problem, am thinking the latter! I dont really want another sub (well, she doesnt want..). Sub is currently by front 3 about a metre in from corner. Was going to try and put it in corner and see if ARC flattens the bloat out enough but TBH ive always avoided corners as before ive lost the punch of the sub. Bloody hell, what a long winded question. Sorry, any advice appreciated!

As there a lot of educated bass people on this thread I thought id ask you all something about subs. I have been a long time MK user, absolutely love the sound. I have my lounge sounding great with just 1 sub (MK v8) and MK 7's, but recently put in another 5.1 MK in a much larger open plan extension area approx 9 x 6m with half of it a kitchen and the other half dining and TV area. Problem is the sofa is bang in the middle of a 4.7 x 6m open space, which is making balancing the bass a bit tricky. Anthem ARC can do a good job from MLP but near the boundries the bass after ARC is massively reinforced eg - in the dining area behind sofa, even standing up almost doubles the percevied bass. Also has a pitched roof whihc probably wont be helping. So my question is, would adding another sub level out the bass allover including near walls or just add to the problem, am thinking the latter! I dont really want another sub (well, she doesnt want..). Sub is currently by front 3 about a metre in from corner. Was going to try and put it in corner and see if ARC flattens the bloat out enough but TBH ive always avoided corners as before ive lost the punch of the sub. Bloody hell, what a long winded question. Sorry, any advice appreciated!
I have an open plan room which is L shaped and one sub MK V12 with in-ceiling speakers and Anthem. I have the sub in the corner and this gave a better response overall in the room.

What I would recommend in the first instance is loading your PDF from ARC to allow us to have a look.

How many measurements do you use? Do you adjust the height slightly as ARC recommends?

You may also need to adjust the distance on the sub to align the bass and mains betters. Once you load your graphs I am sure we can help.

I have an open plan room which is L shaped and one sub MK V12 with in-ceiling speakers and Anthem. I have the sub in the corner and this gave a better response overall in the room.

What I would recommend in the first instance is loading your PDF from ARC to allow us to have a look.

How many measurements do you use? Do you adjust the height slightly as ARC recommends?

You may also need to adjust the distance on the sub to align the bass and mains betters. Once you load your graphs I am sure we can help.
Thanks will upload when I get a chance, cheers!

You can get fab results with one sub but when it has to go on one side of the room and you have multiple seats, results are going to vary across from seat to seat.

A pair of subs in either front corner of the room gives very consistent bass plus it doubles the headroom. By placing them in the corners of the room you get the best timing and more room gain, plus you can experiment with higher crossovers between the subs and speakers which can make a huge difference and give even more headroom to a system.

I realise that in many lounges this may not be practical or affordable but the upgrade to two subs is obvious………absolutely anyone will hear it.

Attachments

• Onemorething_ARC.pdf
    193.8 KB · Views: 71
You can get fab results with one sub but when it has to go on one side of the room and you have multiple seats, results are going to vary across from seat to seat.

A pair of subs in either front corner of the room gives very consistent bass plus it doubles the headroom. By placing them in the corners of the room you get the best timing and more room gain, plus you can experiment with higher crossovers between the subs and speakers which can make a huge difference and give even more headroom to a system.

I realise that in many lounges this may not be practical or affordable but the upgrade to two subs is obvious………absolutely anyone will hear it.
Thanks Rob, I might try that and bring the v8 in from the lounge. Cant imagine id get away with keeping it there though but be good to try it out.

Overall the graphs look good, what I would try is the following.

Change the Maximum Correct Frequency to 1K rather than 5K, this should give you more depth to the sound and help overall balance.

Change the Subwoofer Crossover Frequency to 80Hz on all speakers.

What is the distance on the subwoofer set to? I would suggest trying actual distance plus 60cm to see if that helps align the bass.

You will need to remeasure and when you do this start with the 5 measurements, 1 as the MLP, 2 and 3 60cm either side. 4 & 5 60cm in front and side of MLP.

Obviously you will need to judge by your ears if this has any improvement.

Overall the graphs look good, what I would try is the following.

Change the Maximum Correct Frequency to 1K rather than 5K, this should give you more depth to the sound and help overall balance.

Change the Subwoofer Crossover Frequency to 80Hz on all speakers.

What is the distance on the subwoofer set to? I would suggest trying actual distance plus 60cm to see if that helps align the bass.

You will need to remeasure and when you do this start with the 5 measurements, 1 as the MLP, 2 and 3 60cm either side. 4 & 5 60cm in front and side of MLP.

Obviously you will need to judge by your ears if this has any improvement.
Thank you. Will give that a try. Did you mean 4 & 5 in front and behind. Do you think its worth doing 4 & 5 higher up also?

Thank you. Will give that a try. Did you mean 4 & 5 in front and behind. Do you think its worth doing 4 & 5 higher up also?
I meant in front, ie: into the main area of the room. Also ARC suggest raising the height by about 6 to 12 inches. Here is a good link: Anthem | ARC® Mobile

Hi Everyone,

I am currently in possession of an older M&K Sound surround system (7.1) in mint condition.
3x LCR-35 (FL, C, FR)
2x LCR-25 Satellite
2x LCR-25 Surround Satellite (different build with ports or speakers to the side too)
V76 Subwoofer - a beast

I bought them a few years back from my friend and never actually used them.
They are still packed in the box (not original) because I was moving houses and never had a chance to install them in the old one.
Now, that I am building a new house I am wondering what to do and will need you help please.

I attached a floor plan of the kitchen/dining/living room area. It is a big space, roughly 8m x 6m,
and also very high ceiling with visible beams at the height of just over 4m!

I have a dilemma now if I should risk it and install those speakers as per the attached image (satellites are high up at the height of the beams), or simply invest in a good two-channel AVR (like Marantz NR1200 or similar) and a decent stereo speakers instead?

My worries for surround are that there are large windows as you can see (one of them over 5m wide)
and this could be a problem acoustically?
Another thing is aesthetics and having to hide that beast of a sub somewhere.

Could you please help? I could probably sell those speakers for good money I think too?
Any thoughts are appreciated. Thanks

Speakers.png

I think as you have those speakers and they will be used with a TV, presumably for several hours a day, you should definitely install them as shown as a surround system.
As an upgrade from what you have, if you can get another identical sub and place it at the other side of the TV and set the crossover between speakers and subs to 200Hz it will sound terrific.

Thanks Rob!

This is only a visualisation of what that room could look like.
Would the height and lots of glass not be a problem?
I am also thinking about the placement of that sub, and have no idea where it would be fitted best.

PS. Too much bass is not my thing anymore (I think) and also I am not quite sure how good the LCR-35's are with just music in stereo when needed?

68_salon z huśtawką.jpg

Acoustics are very important but first you need great speakers, well placed that can play comfortably without distortion.

As a TV system this will be great with the speakers and subs you have. The biggest upgrade you could make would probably be to a second sub on the other side of the TV with a higher crossover between the speakers and subs.

This will mean the speakers will do less, so there is less drive unit distortion, while the bass is coming from two locations, so you get more even sound around the room as well as more headroom. This will make for better sound, not just higher volume levels.

It like a more powerful car, it will just do everything effortlessly.

BTW.... lovely room......

Thanks again Rob.

So two questions really:
1. The LCR-25 (the tripole ones) go to the side, not the back?
2. Is it still possible to buy a V76? Highly doubtful, no?

I assume you would place the subs exactly opposite to each other like below?

Attachments

• Screenshot_1.png
    Screenshot_1.png
    577.1 KB · Views: 50
  • Screenshot_2.png
    Screenshot_2.png
    551.2 KB · Views: 46
Sides are more important than rears so put them to the side.

Symmetry for the subs is ideal.

The V76 is about 15 years old. I'd say a V10 is the closest match if you cant find a matching unit.

Looking for a bit of advice, i have a spare chanel available from my anthem amps and was wondering if i can hook up another s150 to the centre chanel to have two centre speakers. Is this worth it to get more in centre presence / output ! how do you split the signal, or is it a complete waiste of time?

I wouldn’t usually recommend two centre speakers as you lose the focus that a single speaker gives.

Close your eyes in front of a good home cinema and the dialogue from a film should make you feel that the actors are right in front of you.

You don’t get this in a commercial cinema.

Thanks for the reply rob, it was just a thought as i have a spare chanel doing nothing. I have pretty much talked myself into changing from my Mk 1 s150's to the Mk2's or even a front 3 S300's. just not sure how much of an upgrade the 300's will be over Mk1/Mk2's. Unusally for me i normally just jump straight in with a purchase. What to do!!

What to do!!

The 150's in their now 3rd iteration are really good in comparison to the original 150's - new drivers and x-over design so you're definitely getting a fair jump up. I was never keen on the Mk1 series so I went straight to the 300's.

That said, new 150's if you plan to go no higher than the AVM60, but if down the road you're going to upgrade then the 300's are a no brainer.

Many thanks for the reply, what a dilemma, will definitely make that decision this week. nice set up you have there.

If you hear the latest spec 150's you'll immediately hear how far MK have moved on in the last 10 years.

FYI The same is true with their surrounds. They are far more detailed and open and have better power handling. If you have time you really should have a listen and then compare them to the 300's.

thanks again, 99.99% there !

nice set up you have there.

Thanks bruv. I got my 300 series before there was any in wall versions. I think the first thing that turned me on to MK was the ST150 surround. We were watching War Donkey at Gecko in a scene where a shell rockets past the listeners head. I ducked in my seat and then felt like a bit of a tool.

And then it just kinda sprawled out from there - everything sits in front of a chimney so I had limited options, but now the new JVC N7 and Lyngdorf MP60 are in I'm pretty much there.

thanks again, 99.99% there !
300’s are indeed another step up form the 150’s with higher power handling.
Depending b on where you are based we have both the latest 150’s with a. AVM60 on dem and the 300’s in the main cinema room.
Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Hi Guys,

I thought I would chime into this thread since I have recently set-up my 5.1 MK Sound package with the new M-Series.
  • 3 x M70 LCR (black)
  • 1 x M40T Pair (white)
  • 1 x V10 Subwoofer (black)
Initial impressions are this is an absolutely stellar system and I will have more detail later. Let me know if there are any questions in the meantime.

p.s. Thanks @Seriously Ltd (Rich) for hooking me up with them as soon as they got into the country.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom