Monitor Audio GS20 substitutes

Flashgordon1982

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi
I have a pair of the above, used mainly as front surrounds, and music when I get the time. I’m trying to remodel my living room and as such thinking of changing to a pair or bookshelves. Something like the Kef LS50
Or kef350s.
my question is would I lose much sound quality, or even gain? they would sit on a solid floating shelf.

i cant comment on the kefs but if u do sell the gs 20 id be interested depending on colour, location, price. youd need to pit up a for sale ad to stick to forum rules.

You really need to be looking at the R3 and not the Q350's as that will be a real downgrade on overall performance levels. The R3's are closer to the R5's in overall performance with only the low frequencies running out a little sooner

Obviously, the price is a big jump, but in reality, you should be look at the Gold 200 as a direct replacement which makes the R3's look somewhat a bit of a bargain

if you like the gs20 but want bookshelves. why not go for the gs10..they won't be as deep but will probably sound similar in all but the low frequencies.

Hifi is like a drug. I start at cheap and end up crying after i spend more than I can afford. 500 ish is my limit on a used pair.

£500 is bob on the money for the GS10 used - example, shop trade in with 3 month warranty, looks in good nick -

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
Yeah spotted those. Not sure the wife will take the colour though.
Are these much better than the KEFs I mentioned?

£800-900 when new over a decade ago.

i sold my gr10, same rrp, for way less.

a pair of gs20 were available for £465 so £500 for gs10 are way overpriced

Note - ebay prices do seem to be inflated at the moment across the board, supply less than demand at the moment with various restrictions etc.

I think the Kef R300 would be the obvious competitor to the GS10 but the R300 has the benefit of a mid driver in 3 way rather than the 2 way GS10.

There is a light wood GS10 on ebay but the payment details look a bit sketchy, the GR10 is the predecessor of the GS10 with a different tweeter, the GS being marginally less bright in the upper register by all accounts but pretty marginal.

-- As an eBay Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases --
You mention front surrounds so does that mean you are using a centre speaker and if so will that feature in your new layout?

I have both GR10's and GR20's on different systems and while the 20's obviously go lower, another pair of 10's would be my first choice if I had to downsize as they are still very capable speakers.

The GS and GR are very similar. Both very good and another level to the Kef Q 350

I believe the Silver 100 are closest speakers currently on the market to the old gr10/gs10.

maybr look at the silver 100 if you have the space? £500 vs £650. the £150 extra gets you full warranty, factory sealed so less chance of being in a stranger's home.

£450 is way overpriced for the GR10. I sold mine (mint with box, etc.) for much less.

Last edited:
Yeah spotted those. Not sure the wife will take the colour though.
Are these much better than the KEFs I mentioned?
Often mentioned in reviews of the KEF R300s as an option. Going back some six years ago now I auditioned the Golds against the R300s and preferred the KEFs, which I bought. Close call to be honest.

Kef R300 are ridiculously expensive..used pairs are rare and typically fetch more than the gs10s and a new pair are £1300.. similar money to the MA gold 100s.

You mention front surrounds so does that mean you are using a centre speaker and if so will that feature in your new layout?

I have both GR10's and GR20's on different systems and while the 20's obviously go lower, another pair of 10's would be my first choice if I had to downsize as they are still very capable speakers.
[/QUOTE

I have the C350 centre speaker which is a beast.

those KEFs are stunning but yikes they are expensive!
My Golds where my baby, but they just take up so much space. If I can keep them I will. Wife does like the look of the smaller speakers as well.

If you plan to keep the MA centre then I would have thought you would be best off sticking with MA all round. Do you use a sub? While the GS10's don't go as low as the 20's, a sub may put that right. That said, I do have a sub in the system that my GR10's are on the end of but I don't use it for music as they still sound great without it.

If you have a Monitor Audio centre and you cannot stretch to the R3 or R300, maybe see if you can find a GX100 as it should be different enough to bring some new sonic's whilst allowing you to reduce the size of the speaker. You still won't have the deepness of the floorstands, but the GX100 were noted for their deep bass (based on cabinet size).

Unlike the Kef's they are not a true 3 way speaker, but they are a very competent one. The only down side is you might have to wait to find one which turns up at the right price, but I feel it will be your best option without compromise to much

Kef R300 are ridiculously expensive..used pairs are rare and typically fetch more than the gs10s and a new pair are £1300.. similar money to the MA gold 100s.
I've noticed, makes a change for me to buy something that holds it's value. One flea bay seller described them as 'the legendary R300s' asking £800. I've also seen the R200C being sold for over the original retail price.

I've noticed, makes a change for me to buy something that holds it's value. One flea bay seller described them as 'the legendary R300s' asking £800. I've also seen the R200C being sold for over the original retail price.
Sellers are asking similar money for the r300 as the r500. There's currently a pair of r300 on fleabay asking for £850 and a pair of r500 asking for £800.

There is plenty of choice for £800 new and used.

If you have a Monitor Audio centre and you cannot stretch to the R3 or R300, maybe see if you can find a GX100 as it should be different enough to bring some new sonic's whilst allowing you to reduce the size of the speaker. You still won't have the deepness of the floorstands, but the GX100 were noted for their deep bass (based on cabinet size).

Unlike the Kef's they are not a true 3 way speaker, but they are a very competent one. The only down side is you might have to wait to find one which turns up at the right price, but I feel it will be your best option without compromise to much

How do you feel the GX range and later compared to the GR/GS speakers? I know there was quite a big design change with the GX but do they share similar characteristics? I love the GR/GS speakers so not looking for something different but something similar only better would be very tempting!

How do you feel the GX range and later compared to the GR/GS speakers? I know there was quite a big design change with the GX but do they share similar characteristics? I love the GR/GS speakers so not looking for something different but something similar only better would be very tempting!

There’s always the PL series ;):devil:

More musical in my opinion, but yes you can tell they are Monitor Audios. So to me the answer is they are better. Now as you have just commented on the fact that you love the sound of the GR/GS series of speakers you could really do with listening to a ribbon tweeter before purchasing to make sure you like the sound

As others have mentioned about the R300, these cannot be ignored (it’s why I mentioned them to) and are a reason why Monitor Audio refreshed the Gold series twice during the R300’s lifespan.

I feel you also have more chance in finding a cheaper pair of GX100 than a pair of R300 and so long as you like the ribbon tweeter sound, they are a step up in all areas expect the low level bass notes. Oddly, even though neither speakers mentioned will go as low, you will gain a more accurate stopstart bass sound experience than what you experience today

My full setup is
Gs200 front
C350 centre
Radius 270 rears
With a denon AVR6400. I was planning on adding a power amp.
I am selling the rears as I want to wall mount. The rest I just can settle on.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom