monitor audio mass 5.1 ?

Cheers mate. I've passed on that 250e with sub and set up my alerts for SH selling websites => 2 months later, le' perfect bargain!

Can't find the pins on ebay. I'll contact MA directly they should know.

Simply repurpose something else and use them as pins. All you need is something that aproximates the diameter of the orginal pins and if whatever you find is too long then cut it to the length you require. You could even use se;f tapping screws in the holes?

Cheers guys! I got some M3 screws from work, they find wonderful inside without touching the cable and will get some extras because they seem to keep the speaker itself stable compared to the original plastic one which have a slight jerk.

Having my eyes on a 50euro sony str-dn1040, does it pair nicely with the mass setup?

What kind of features should I look for? I'll mostly use my mass for 4k hdr content.

I find 4k upscale or native, hdr support on receivers quite useless because the receiver it only does audio so what's the point of advertising them?

Cheers mates :)

Also found this, I don't know how relevant is cnet or if it does make any sense:

Attachments

• ReceiverComparison.jpg
    ReceiverComparison.jpg
    304.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:
I'm looking at the MASS gen 2 speakers, I know with the gen 1 it was recommended to get a different sub. Can the same be said about the gen 2 sub or has it improved?

I'm looking at the MASS gen 2 speakers, I know with the gen 1 it was recommended to get a different sub. Can the same be said about the gen 2 sub or has it improved?
With any 5.1 system, you can always improve the overall experience with a better subwoofer, so this isn't just for a MASS package. Even adding something like the Rel T-Zero to 5 Single Mass Speakers will transform the way the standard Monitor Audio MASS speakers will perform in its original 5.1 package. Adding the high level cable again will improve stereo sounds to creating a dynamic experience whilst leaving surround sound with the larger kick than you would expect from a system costing so little

New Mass compared to old Mass is a different bread of speakers and as I've mentioned before, you cannot compare the two as they are very different products and if Monitor Audio had launched a like for like, they would have been closer to £1k (based on the Bank Of England's Inflation Calculator) and not almost half of that

Now I'm not saying that Gen 2 Mass is half the experience either as it's not. What Monitor Audio have done at the its price point has to be commended and if you're trying to compare the out going price of old MASS with launch price of new MASS. Then you cannot do that as old Mass has paid for its development many times over it 8 year life span hence why it was so cheap in the end

Last edited:
@diabolik123
my advice would be to ditch that 1040 AVR even if it is cheap, it is very OLD and sound will be nothing special.
for a 100/150 euros more you can buy a more recent avr if you look around (new or used)

50GBP on a Yam V475 coming end of week. I hope I didn't overbid.

I've lost a str1080 at 260GBP a few days ago :( so close

@nenito2k any pro tips to pair the mass to the receiver?

sorry for delay....! i have the v475, it is a good model...for 60 euros it is DIRT cheap.
no advice really just set to small speakers after calibration

just be aware that a decent 4K does not come cheap; if you want REAL HDR 4K get a model that CAN give you that; not some crap 400 euros TV that claims to be 4k ! :rotfl:

back to subjet...

@Dasiz i want your input as i have the same speakers as you (MASS Gen1):

- i listen to some music MP3 HQ or FLAC, i feel underwhelmed by the sound it's "meh"; but i never compared to a higher end AVR

reviews say the MASS are just "ok" for stereo playback and i have a very low end AVR so i always thought it was normal; but when i read your post when the MASS sounded much better with your high end Marantz...i got to wonder so here are the questions :

1- when you FIRST only had the "old" DENON 2300 were you satisfied subjectively with music sound ? was there any difference between flac and MP3 ? or was your feeling like mine ?:confused:
2- when you got the MARANTZ did you immediately notice the difference or was it after a few days until you re-compared with DENON ? and this time is there a difference between mp3 and flac ? what are the differences in music reproduction exactly ?

Hi all.
I’m going for an 5.1.4 system. The room is being refurbished and I have the cable in place. Room is being plastered tomorrow.
I already have 4 x MA C165’s for the .4 speakers in the ceiling but I am yet to buy the 5.1.
my wife will only let me have micro satellite speakers like MA MASS or CA Minx.
what do you recommend? Mass, Minx or something else?

Hi All,

I would like to say big thanks to all of you for your posts that helped me to Finalize in bet Monitor Audio V1 and V2.
Among Polk Audio TL-1600 , Focal Sib Evo ,Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 400 & Paradigm 100 CT and MA Mass Gen-1 ; I have finalized MA only.
Was in dilemma in bet MA Gen1 and Gen2. But CCAM driver and other specification of Gen1 and useful posts on this thread help me a lot.

Special Thanks to @pops107 ,@nenito2k , @sanjualf , @PhilYerBoots for your detail description and pictures.

My 5.1.2 Setup :
  • Yamaha RX V585 - 7.2 Channel (474 £)
  • MA Mass 5.0 – V1(600 £)
  • MA MRW-10 Sub (421 £)
  • Focal IC-106 In ceiling Speaker
  • Konig Professional - 16 Gauge Speaker Cable
I have 16*10" Living Room. Mass speakers full filled my Dolby atoms set up dream with Clear and superb sound quality.

Attachments

• 7_IMG_20200920_081407.jpg
    7_IMG_20200920_081407.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 125
  • 6_IMG_20200919_211837.jpg
    6_IMG_20200919_211837.jpg
    189.7 KB · Views: 125
  • 4_IMG_20200920_090214.jpg
    4_IMG_20200920_090214.jpg
    165.8 KB · Views: 117
  • 0_IMG_20200919_220409.jpg
    0_IMG_20200919_220409.jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 115
  • 2_IMG_20201009_174253.jpg
    2_IMG_20201009_174253.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 117
  • 5_IMG_20200920_090200.jpg
    5_IMG_20200920_090200.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 111
  • 1_IMG_20200913_180338.jpg
    1_IMG_20200913_180338.jpg
    179.6 KB · Views: 114
Last edited:
Not been on this thread in a long time as I have moved on from the fantastic mass now

Great set up that looks very clean and stylish hope you loving the sound

A big bump but I must say I am impressed with the Mass 5.1. I purchased the gen 2 set for £280 and I like them a lot.

Have put them in my office/gaming den and they sound so good when playing games such as Doom Eternal. Even listening to music is very pleasurable to the ears.

However reading this thread they are apparently a downgrade from the original gen 1 Mass? How much of a difference are we talking about? In truth I don't like the styling of the gen 1 Mass - prefer the look of the gen 2 Mass. However if there is a big difference in quality I might end up returning them.

A big bump but I must say I am impressed with the Mass 5.1. I purchased the gen 2 set for £280 and I like them a lot.

Have put them in my office/gaming den and they sound so good when playing games such as Doom Eternal. Even listening to music is very pleasurable to the ears.

However reading this thread they are apparently a downgrade from the original gen 1 Mass? How much of a difference are we talking about? In truth I don't like the styling of the gen 1 Mass - prefer the look of the gen 2 Mass. However if there is a big difference in quality I might end up returning them.

Not sure has anyone really compared both in same room, i doubt. There is very noticeable difference in size. Old ones have ported cabinets with larger midbass drivers so they should have more weight and depth on them while struggling less when pushed. Safe to assume they will sound larger more toward bookshelf speakers. Generally the Mass G2 size speakers tend to sound bit thin from my experience, but that might not put you off. However is it worth the hassle to return as you enjoy the speakers so much now (sound and looks) and hate the looks of old ones.. Also you paid low price for them so i would say "don`t try to to fix it, if it ain`t broken" . In past i have bought something ugly just cause for good price, sadly it starts to annoy later. We watch the audio gear daily so i feel it needs to look good for full satisfaction!

Not sure has anyone really compared both in same room, i doubt. There is very noticeable difference in size. Old ones have ported cabinets with larger midbass drivers so they should have more weight and depth on them while struggling less when pushed. Safe to assume they will sound larger more toward bookshelf speakers. Generally the Mass G2 size speakers tend to sound bit thin from my experience, but that might not put you off. However is it worth the hassle to return as you enjoy the speakers so much now (sound and looks) and hate the looks of old ones.. Also you paid low price for them so i would say "don`t try to to fix it, if it ain`t broken" . In past i have bought something ugly just cause for good price, sadly it starts to annoy later. We watch the audio gear daily so i feel it needs to look good for full satisfaction!
That's true. In truth I'm quite happy with them - I thought for £280 they were a steal. Black Friday FTW.

I'm curious if there are any other speakers that fulfill the "looks criteria" but also pack a punch/sound good.

@viper900 just read the specs between both and you will know what you are missing : plain and simple; its obvious. there is no secret in speakers; the bigger the driver the better the sound...in 95% of cases.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom