Monty Python's Flying Circus Season 1 Blu-ray Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Thanks for the review Cas. Timeless Craziness! I'm just imagining what Binge-watching this would do to my head! :eek:

For things where the source picture and/or sound isn't that great I normally lean towards iTunes. However in this case I think this is worth having on disc, just to make sure it can't be lost, taken away or require an Internet connection.

I wonder if they're testing the water for a box set? That'd be of more interest to me.
Quite tempted by this though :p

I wonder if they're testing the water for a box set? That'd be of more interest to me.
Quite tempted by this though :p

There is mate, a "Norwegian" UK Blu-ray Edition available from next week I believe. The individual seasons are staggered one a month.

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
There is mate, a "Norwegian" UK Blu-ray Edition available from next week I believe. The individual seasons are staggered one a month.

The boxset is available now...

Was only £90 when it first went up for pre-order at Network but still the £100 Network want beats Amazon by quite some way.

One of those involved with the restoration has been quite active on another forum answering questions and apparently a lot of the footage is actually 35mm but varies in quality however episode 10 is of very high quality.

Last edited:
big Python fan, but I have to sat I got season 4 from Poundland and didn't even make it through disc 1, was horribly unfunny.

big Python fan, but I have to sat I got season 4 from Poundland and didn't even make it through disc 1, was horribly unfunny.
I don't think it would ever catch me as unfunny, but an episode can feel slow nowadays.
I much prefer the pace of the Movies.
And, though very not strictly MPFC, Fawlty Towers is to me the pinnacle. :)

I bought this the other day, got home, put in the disc and there was nothing on it. The disc was literally a black screen. Nothing. So I went back to HMV where I bought it and said to the chap there 'I wish to complain about this blu-ray what I purchased not half an hour ago from this very boutique'.
  • He said: Oh yes, the, uh, the Monty Python Season 1 blu-ray...What's,uh...What's wrong with it?
  • I said: I'll tell you what's wrong with it, my lad. It's blank! That's what's wrong with it!
  • He said: No, no, it's uh... just warming up.
  • I said: Look, matey, I know a blank disc when I see one, and I'm looking at one right now.
  • He said: No no it's not blank, it's, it's revving'! Remarkable disc, the Monty Python Season 1 blu-ray, idn'it, ay? Beautiful slipcase!

And so on...

Had to skip to episode 10 to see for myself the ‘Ron Obvious’ sketch that is taken from 35mm and my god it looks incredible.

The Complete Series One Blu-ray is currently £22.99 as a ‘Limited Time Deal‘ on Amazon:

That’s a good price - however I plumped for the digipack (or ‘deluxe’ version as Network call it) as I prefer the packaging and you get an additional book with an episode-by-episode production history, which looks interesting. Worth an extra £4 in my view.

I was surprised to find that I actually commented on this. I really don't remember doing so. Anyway it was on special for a tenner so I picked it up. Just looking at it now. I don't know how much of this is Sony but it really does look very good. Of course it is soft but to state the obvious this is the best it has ever looked. For the very first sketch there are skin and facial details, I think I can make out that the wig is part of a fake forehead, the white shirts are bright white, of course a little blown out but that's the technology. The material for the velvet jacket and plaid jumper are clear enough and I could go on. Very nice.

The way each sketch flows into another makes this a very difficult disk to stop watching :)

*edit
Yep, just finished the first disk. I'm not putting in the 2nd one.

Last edited by a moderator:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom