Mortimer & Whitehouse: Gone Fishing

encaser

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Could be a diverting gentle laugh from the mainstream.
RT description here
At least the description made me smile, middle-aged men! How old do people actually live to now..?
webANXmwfishS1E1.jpg

Quite touching at times along with its gentle humour and stabs at life. As I'm fast approaching 50, this sits right in my wheelhouse of considering what life has gone and what's left. This is particularly apparent with Bob and Paul who've both had life threatening medical issues as 'middle-aged men'.
The opener goes to show that Englishness of carrying on with a healthy cynicism that doesn't mean failing to find humour in the simplest of (often annoying) things and making life actually more than livable.

I like these two and also love fishing. At times this reminded me of when me and my old school mate go fishing sometimes. I will carry on watching but at times this episode seemed a little slow.

Middle-age is generally 45-65, so they're both still there, though at only 46 I certainly don't regard myself as middle-aged.
That would account for the majority of the world's population dying prematurely.

Middle-age is generally 45-65, so they're both still there, though at only 46 I certainly don't regard myself as middle-aged.

Your definition of middle age reminded me of my definition of a half when sharing my favourite sweets with my brother...3 for me and 1 for you :)

I'm stuck in the house with a foot injury at the moment so I'm seeing lots of tv I don't usually watch. I've discovered a short coming in my social skills from the ads I'm seeing. I'm supposed to talk constantly about the cost of my funeral and the various over 50s saving schemes that are around. It seems us older folk should think about little else. I just thought I'd give you the nod so you can get in training now. I'd hate for you to be lacking in this area as I've been.

Bri

Am already excited about all those free Parker pens

Hope the foot is recovering nicely

There's vouchers too. One of them gives you a chance to win £10,000. I'm wetting myself with excitement which is not good in my present condition. I'm on the mend aided by the loan of crutches from the local NHS hobble in centre.

:)
Bri

There's vouchers too. One of them gives you a chance to win £10,000. I'm wetting myself with excitement which is not good in my present condition. I'm on the mend aided by the loan of crutches from the local NHS hobble in centre.

:)
Bri
You clearly missed the Adult Diapers ads which would make life so much easier for you now and in your dotage.
Do people get them signed like plaster casts...

Although not my definition, the OED's
- looks like childhood and early adulthood is neglected and it's the middle 20 year period of 25-85
Childhood and adulthood have been fluid in definition and social standing throughout the centuries. Although the introduction of Teen and Youth last century are recent additions and now Millennials.
Anyone unfortunate enough to be in hospital of late, will no doubt have succumbed to being called Young Sir by a nurse or Dr younger than them.

You clearly missed the Adult Diapers ads which would make life so much easier for you now and in your dotage.
Do people get them signed like plaster casts...

I have stairs to tackle to the toilet so I could use them at the moment. :laugh: I don't think I've one of those ads in years.

Bri

I love fishing (sea mainly), and Bob is great, so I will definitely be watching this.
Paul W is fun too, but Bob's a Boro fan so he's extra special.

I love fishing (sea mainly), and Bob is great, so I will definitely be watching this.
Paul W is fun too, but Bob's a Boro fan so he's extra special.
Any man that does his own dentistry deserves respect.

This is great. I am a huge fan of Vic and Bob and Athletico Mince is where Bob's genius really can be appreciated. This is great fun though, as a straighter, funnier and more involving version of The Trip....

Not too sure about Bob's pizza's cauliflower crust being 'heart healthy' (I believe additional binding ingredients are used - egg and ground almonds - so contains cholesterol and fat) ... certainly would have given non-coeliac self-diagnosed gluten intolerant idiots a boner though.

Last edited:
Loving the this and I can't wait to see them go proper fishing and stop messing around with tap water !

Series 2 starts next Friday (2nd Aug) at 8pm on BBC2 ...
This second series follows the two popular comedians as they fish side by side in some of the most stunningly beautiful locations in England, Ireland, Scotland and Wales.
Paul and Bob travel to the picturesque River Usk in Wales, where Paul’s father first taught him to fish as a young child. Their quarry is the wild brown trout. They discuss their respective childhoods and reflect on their own family lives. In their cosy cottage accommodation in the heart of the countryside they compare school photographs and Paul serenades Bob with his guitar.

My love affair with fishing began almost 40 years ago when I became my dad’s fishing buddy in a rural town in PA. I would never have known then that he had given me the best and most therapeutic gift a father could ever give his son. He also taught me how to properly equip your rod. There are so many sizes when it comes to spinning reels and because of this, it can often be a little difficult to comprehend what the sizes mean. Places like under-the-open-sky.com/best-saltwater-spinning-reels tend to help with such things. When you are looking for a reel you will need to keep in mind where you are likely to be using the reel. For example, what may work quite well for rivers or lakes may not be the best fishing reel for saltwater fishing off a boat or from the rocks.

Last edited:
I enjoyed this. Made me not want to die.

I've not seen every episode, but I've thoroughly enjoyed what I have seen. Looking forward to seeing what I've missed.

They are two very likeable characters, and the whole thing is just so easy going it's a joy to watch.

Think season 2 got a bit staged and it was clear that PW was not too onboard with that. It doesn't need a season 3 really and have to say BM must have forgotten his whole 3 men in a bath parody on Last of the Summer Wine as he is turning into Bill Owen ;)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom