Movie Releases Pushed Back Chat Due To Coronavirus(Covid19)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I know we all love films and cinema but on a human level, the Tweets about Odeon staff and Cineworld staff are so so sad to read. To be losing your job now, in October 2020, is a terrible thing for all those folk. They can bounce back but the road is long and hard.

The higher level you go, that talk is normally about distribution and how Cinema will survive long term. But the path to getting there is a horrible one.

Business simply doesn't allow a catastrophic loss of earnings for 7-15 months or whatever it turns out to be. And let's not forget, when it comes to 2021 and 2022, will people be keen to actually work in cinemas after this culling?

I'm an optimistic person, and cinema remains a wonderful vibrant medium, as full of life as ever, but what we come back to I don't know. You have to wonder whether the multiplexes of the future will be like some underground stations, mostly automated places, with very few staff there.

Something will be in place to watch movies publically, because the profit of several billion dollars worth of product depend on it.

But we don't know what that is yet AND who will own it.

It's an awful situation for so many industries. It's definitely gonna change so much of our lives going forward and yes, the job market is gonna be truly woeful. :(

In the case of movies... I feel a bit sorry for people involved with 'LET HIM GO'...

The Diane Lane / Kevin Costner thriller is apparently still going ahead with it's wide theatrical release in the US on November 6th.
It has since changed from December 11th here in the UK to 'Coming Soon'.
There is lots of awards buzz - particularly lots of buzz about Diane Lane's performance being Oscar worthy - so I think that's why they want to still release it in 2020-early 2021 to be in contention for awards season (if there is one).
Really unique situation out there - do they release it? do they hold it back and miss the awards? Crazy.
Yeah, it's unique out there... I was a Cineworld Unlimited user and feel real bad for the whole industry.
:(
Let-Him-Go-poster-1.jpg

I know we all love films and cinema but on a human level, the Tweets about Odeon staff and Cineworld staff are so so sad to read. To be losing your job now, in October 2020, is a terrible thing for all those folk. They can bounce back but the road is long and hard...

The higher level you go, that talk is normally about distribution and how Cinema will survive long term. But the path to getting there is a horrible one.

Business simply doesn't allow a catastrophic loss of earnings for 7-15 months or whatever it turns out to be. And let's not forget, when it comes to 2021 and 2022, will people be keen to actually work in cinemas after this culling?

I'm an optimistic person, and cinema remains a wonderful vibrant medium, as full of life as ever, but what we come back to I don't know. You have to wonder whether the multiplexes of the future will be like some underground stations, mostly automated places, with very few staff there.

Something will be in place to watch movies publically, because the profit of several billion dollars worth of product depend on it.

But we don't know what that is yet AND who will own it.

I was optimistic, but it was fading. And now after what's happened to Cineworld and Bond being pushed back, I'm very pessimistic to be honest.

The knock-on effect of all this to the industry will be huge as well. To smaller studios, film crews, set designers, writers etc etc - the list is endless to be honest. As right now there will be stoppers being applied to projects, especially the larger ones, as uncertainty spreads fear around the industry. Fear leading to paralysis.

Therefore there's also likely to be a real lull of releases in approximately 24 months time that cinema's will have to contend with too. Because of projects being paused and/or cancelled right now, that would normally be completed and ready for release in a few years. So there will be a future period where there won't be much to distribute at a particular time. Quite simply not as many films have been or will be getting made.

Less cinema's also means films may screen longer in order to recoup money, as they will lose the revenue stream from theatres that will have closed. And this could also lead to longer delays for films that are ready to come out. And then these films and lower budget affairs could end up bypassing cinema altogether and being pushed straight to VOD or disc.

There's so much that could happen the next few years, I've barely really touched the tip of the iceberg there.

In what is probably the first of many big releases now making the shift directly to streaming, sequel Coming 2 America has just been sold to Amazon to make it's debut streaming...

Went to a new local small 5 screen cinema for the first time last night which only opened 2 weeks ago, talk about poor timing for them only agreeing planning and starting work not long before the lockdown

We watched Tenet but they're going to start showing some more back catalogue stuff and family / kids film to tick over until the bigger releases start to filter through

Diane Lane and Kevin Costner's thriller 'LET HIM GO' - (currently doing well at No.1 in the U.S. box office) - is being released on December 4th in the UK.

Diane Lane is getting Best Actress Awards buzz (Oscar anyone?) and the reviews Stateside have been superb.

Whether this UK release date is subject to movement (due to the Covid lockdown) we'll have to wait and see. At least there is some quality product on the horizon.

Netflix has bought international rights for News of the World {Dir Paul Greengrass w/Tom Hanks] for streaming early 2021. USA still getting a theatrical release on 25/12, Id of thought netflix will be sometime late Jan onwards (after US & PVoD)

Netflix taking international territories on Universal’s ‘News Of The World’

Id of thought there will be announcement from Warners regarding Wonder Women 1984 later this week or next (as they would want to advertise in US over Thanksgiving) - I cant see this keeping its date of 25th (US)/26th Dec(UK) with all the possible reintroduction of restrictions in NY & LA + those in western europe ongoing

Last edited:
Our movie (a thriller) was pushed back, but we're hoping to make in January...

Last edited:
I believe 'Let Him Go' has got a new release date of December 18th in the U.K.

Freaky - Now Boxing Day
Blithe Spirit - 15 Jan 2021 (Sky Cinema + cinema)

It’s hard to imagine Cineworld surviving with that level of debt and law suits.

The cinemas have been truly shafted from noth sides, by the film industry and the landlords who can‘t see past the present and what the consequences will mean for them in the long term.

Cheers,

Nigel

I'm assuming cinemas in Wales are closed until the New Year?

Warner releasing 2021 catalogue straight to streaming

Sad news today - but sadly inevitable...

'WONDER WOMAN' and the Diane Lane / Kevin Costner thriller 'LET HIM GO' are completely screwed. All the marketing money has been spent on them releasing this week and now over 60-70% of the nations cinemas are out of action. The remaining cinemas have greatly reduced capacity. Awful news... but it was on the cards I guess. Both films will have to find an audience another way. 'LET HIM GO's reviews were 'phenomenal' too - with a possible Oscar nomination for Diane Lane.

Most studios are thinking why bother now spending all that marketing and distribution cost going theatrical when going digital is right now the most cost effective route.

Very sad and WW84 was getting splendid reviews too.

FREAKY now 19th Feb 2021 (was 13/11 then 26/12)
MORTAL kOMBAT 19 April (was mid jan)

looks like distributors expecting a 3-4 week lockdown or a lot of country on tier 3 restrictions post christmas as after Wonder Women opening today & Let Him Go/Come Away on Fri theres nothing opening wide till Blith Spirit on 15 Jan. Then Chaos Walking on 22/1 Monster Hunter & little Things on 29/1.. Though all subject to change

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom