Movies broadcast on channels being edited for any violent content

WildeKarde

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wasn't sure where to post this but has anyone else noticed an increase in editing of movies (and some TV shows) for any violence and even innuendo?

Couple of examples I could state would be Volcano was on STV (I think) last night and one scene completely cut. The scene where the railtrack guys rescue the disabled metro car. The last guy comes to the door with the driver and jumps into the lava, throwing the driver to safety. In last nights version he comes to the door and it cuts to the metro car in flames. Did he save the guy? I guess we'll never know. :rolleyes:

Even is something like Diamonds are Forever tonight they cut the machine gun being fired when Bond releases the balloon as a signal. Why oh why? :confused:

Mrs has mentioned it a couple of times with even a show like Hart to Hart broadcast having lines edited out where maybe a comment is made by either characters that could have some innuendo in it. Even some of the violence is removed as clearly it's an 18 rated show for that kind of content :D

We quite often flick through the channels and put something on to fill some time. It seems to happen in a lot of the movies broadcast and doesn't seem restricted to any particular channel. It's been on STV, Channel 4, channel 5, sony, paramount, etc.

The Mrs seems to think it might be starting a movie at 8pm so before watershed but surely that's what movie rating are for not simply to have it pre edited.

Anyone else seen this kind of thing?

Haven't noticed anything specific, but then I don't watch a lot of what nowadays is deemed controversial on linear TV -- anything that involves violence, sex, free speech, etc. as it is, I suspect, now being censored by the thought police, in order to protect us from ourselves, and to make sure that we see the world through their eyes. After all, free speech is bad, so by definition free thought must be too.

George Orwell was pretty accurate in his thoughts on what society would eventually become, just read that 1984 was published in 1949, amazing that it was written so long ago!

I noticed about 4 years(well when I asked Bri who had the disc if I imagined it, but Bri said I not) back a big edit in The Professionals but took it they cut to fit more adverts in but the scene sort of made a huge gap in the flow of the story.
2 villains catch up with Pamela Salem who just found they used her daughter in a plot to blackmail a politician and one goes to grab her and she pleadingly cry's No No, next news Bodie and Doyle are looking for her and find her naked body washed up on the Thames embankment shore but all that was cut and you only see the two villains catching her then it cuts where the police carrying the dead body on a stretcher to an ambulance.

That’s just the start, I suspect. These ‘enlightened’ times that we now find ourselves in will result in more cuts, more programmes and films being withdrawn so as to protect us from ourselves.

I am more cynical. If they chop a film, are you more likely to buy or rent the full
version. Causing a second market for sales. Same way they sell directors cuts.

I noticed about 4 years(well when I asked Bri who had the disc if I imagined it, but Bri said I not) back a big edit in The Professionals but took it they cut to fit more adverts in but the scene sort of made a huge gap in the flow of the story.
2 villains catch up with Pamela Salem who just found they used her daughter in a plot to blackmail a politician and one goes to grab her and she pleadingly cry's No No, next news Bodie and Doyle are looking for her and find her naked body washed up on the Thames embankment shore but all that was cut and you only see the two villains catching her then it cuts where the police carrying the dead body on a stretcher to an ambulance.
Yep thats the kind of thing we'd noticed. You're left not knowing what happened to arrive at that scene

Couple of examples I could state would be Volcano was on STV (I think) last night and one scene completely cut. The scene where the railtrack guys rescue the disabled metro car. The last guy comes to the door with the driver and jumps into the lava, throwing the driver to safety. In last nights version he comes to the door and it cuts to the metro car in flames. Did he save the guy? I guess we'll never know. :rolleyes:
I only seen the film once and apart from the actors in it that scene the only thing I remember about it. Funny that was out the same time as Dante's Peak about a Volcano and has a similar scene only
but this time someone jumps in the water that turned acidic to save others.

Well Channel 4 has an open policy of slowing down a film's footage involving muzzle flash from automatic weapons, whether they are covering themselves legally over strobe lighting effects or trying to make gunfights seem less violent, I don't know, but it doesn't matter what time the film is on, even the Film 4 graveyard film ending at 4am sometimes has this kind of editing.

If ITV are editing Bond films at the weekends now that is strange, they will show them forever, maybe they're pushing the box set for the older films if they're not just cutting for a timeslot.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom