moving away from itunes - what do i use now?

xand_xand

Established Member
Reaction score
Having always used itunes for my album downloads - i need to move away from it now...(obs it took care of my purchasing new music, making playlists and adding to ipod)

Can you suggest my best options please:
Download service?
Music organiser - creating playlists, adding to mp3 player etc

I have a new Hiiby R3 pro - so will need to transfer my itunes albums to it. Then my cd collection. Then of course new album downloads from whichever source is now recommended.

thanks in advance

A quick search says the R3 Pro has Tidal and Qobuz apps. So i would start there with a streaming subscription. And with a streaming subscription you would have an offline option

Separate to streaming, you may wish to purchase songs or albums outright from Tidal or Qobuz. I do not know whether download purchases can be done on the player itself. Or whether you need to purchase downloads on a computer first and transfer to the R3 Pro manually

Playlists - no idea, bit more research than I am willing to do for something I do not own. I think @psikey has experience with this brand

Thanks so far Steven appreciate your input.

Have no problem with downloading to pc .. hence my need for a music organiser...

I've downloaded musicbee which seems to be popular is this a recommended option?

Having always used itunes for my album downloads - i need to move away from it now...(obs it took care of my purchasing new music, making playlists and adding to ipod)

Can you suggest my best options please:
Download service?
Music organiser - creating playlists, adding to mp3 player etc

I have a new Hiiby R3 pro - so will need to transfer my itunes albums to it. Then my cd collection. Then of course new album downloads from whichever source is now recommended.

thanks in advance
I am very new to the portable DAC part of the hobby (FIIO M11 Pro), so FWIW I use Media Monkey in place of iTunes.

Thanks so far Steven appreciate your input.

Have no problem with downloading to pc .. hence my need for a music organiser...

I've downloaded musicbee which seems to be popular is this a recommended option?
Music bee is very good .. can I be naughty and suggest Sony Media go .?. I am being naughty because it is intended for use with Sony music players ,and because it is now obsolete, Sony have removed it from their site. However it can be easily sourced and downloaded. Sony has replaced it with ..in my opinion an inferior substitute. Mediago is very like iTunes and remarkably will pick up an itunes library. It is also streamable ..ie if it is running, on a pc with network access, the files can be picked up on other devices for streaming around the house. I could not do that with musicbee.

Cheers guys.. I'll check out each of those suggestions.
Love these forums.. So much great advice as always.

Ooh sorry if this is really basic stuff but if day I purchased and downloaded album from tidal, Spotify etc.... It's the process for adding this to media monkey or musicbee etc very simple?

I'm just used to iTunes.... i.e.purchase, download, add to library/playlist.

Ta

Sorry just realised my post above doesn't read very well.... More questions:

1. Can any album i download from Spotify or tidal be added to musicbee.

2. Can any album i download from Spotify or tidal be transferred to my portable player assuming compatible file type.

Or do Spotify & tidal etc have protected systems in place to prevent listening to downloaded music on devices..

Or am I just worrying over nothing.. And confusing myself even more!?!

All I want to do is buy music, create playlists and listen on my portable device

I doubt the Hiiby R3 pro will not support the format. It is a question of DRM protection.

I know the Qobuz store markets itself in DRM free purchases

I have not looked into Spotify and Tidal stores

Band camp also has DRM free purchases

You could also try out Google and Amazon

To minimise the loss, just buy one single rather than an album and test whether you can move the purchase download to your Hiiby R3 pro

Good advice thanks.
As far as your know are both Amazon and Google music DRM free?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom