Question Multi-Cookers Anyone?

David Briggs

Established Member
Reaction score
Our 20-year old Tower Pressure Cooker is getting leaky, so I was looking for a replacement when I came across multi-cookers. For those who hadn't heard of them, like me, these are devices that combine more than one cooking function, like slow-cooking and frying. There are quite a few on the market, ranging in price from not much more than a basic pressure cooker, through mid-range £100+ devices like the Breville/Sage by Heston Blumenthal Slow Pro, to all singing (or possibly singeing) devices like the Tefal Cook4Me Connect for about £200, which seems to be aiming at non-cooks, with a Bluetooth version that allows you to download recipes and monitor cooking from a tablet.

Then I came across the Bosch AutoCook for best part of £400... Not so much singing or dancing, just a solid multi-function slow / rice / fast / pressure cooker / fryer with an induction element and some brains.

The wife said she wouldn't have anything that expensive in her kitchen, so I bought her a new Tower pressure cooker for about £50. However, I know there are more tech-savvy readers here, so does anyone have a view on these devices?

The Instant Pot seems to be popular on the forums, and I think at least one member has the Sage Slow Pro.

A quick update to add that Which? currently do not have plans to review these devices, but they can see that "such a report would be of interest to many".

Any other interested Which? subscribers can add their voices...

I have a Sage Slow Pro. In terms of VfM I think it hits the spot. If we were a larger family my only criticism might the size of the pot compared to the whole machine. But that's a small gripe. I cooked a bolognese ragu sauce the other day from scratch (using tinned tomatoes rather than fresh) with minced beef, soffrito and a good slug of red wine. Usually it'd take me about 3 hours on a low heat to get it right. With the Sage, I browned the mince and soffrito with some frozen chopped garlic, then added the tomatoes, herbs and a beef stock cube, and cooked it on the bolognese setting in the pressure cooker function. It took exactly 20 minutes. It was pretty much perfect.

Thanks for that. I have seen the Sage Slow Pro on the John Lewis web site but was disconcerted by the review(s?) saying the control buttons were flimsy, I think it was.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom