Munich High End 2019 Show Report - article discussion

1. Why is so much of this stuff so hideous? Is it function over form?

Some of is (particularly in the world of turntables and speakers) genuinely form being thrown under the function bus, though given how gorgeous Rega manage to make their decks I do occasionally wonder.

Other stuff would very much like you to believe that the form is achieving a function other than signalling that this is actually getting you something for your fortune, mind you.

The Nagra room with YG Acoustics speakers was well over a million pounds.

That room sounded awful, it was embarrassing the number of expensive items on expensive racks. Ordinary at best, I didn't even sit down for more than 30 seconds

The best room by a country mile was the Silbertone/western Electric room. The valves were made in 1917, the horns in the 1930's........ Some of the guitar, jazz, female vocals, and church choirs were remarkable. The more you sat there the more you wanted to stay, not a feeling I came across very much at the show, if at all....

No glamorous presentation or expensive stands.....

Munich 2.1-9512711.jpg
Munich 2.2-9512708.jpg

Didn't Steinway-Lyngdrof or Lyngdorf Audio have any stands?
I also didn't realise that Yamaha and Wharfedale did high end?? Maybe I'm not up to date.

The Lyndorf room was shared and the 2 channel set up was not very memorable, at this price point to me a number of rooms where better. The revamped JBL's driven with Levinson were good

Munich 3-9512666.jpg

Whatever you do, don't show that picture to Dennis @ Acoustic Fields.
Glass! :eek:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom