Question MusicCast vs Chromecast (tidal) volume output (/Sq?)

BarKohba

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello

When playing Tidal through my TV (Bravia), connected via Optical to my DAC (Yamaha WXC-50 Streamer/DAC), the volume output is clearly lower than directly through the MusicCast app (for those that don't know, MusicCast is yamaha's streaming app that centralizes a ton of music services, similar to what NAD does with their BluOS, and other similar apps).

I'm wondering why that is? I like MusicCast, but sometimes it's easier to just use Chromecast straight from the Tidal app, and as the WXC-50 doesn't support chromecast, streaming to my TV, which then sends the info via digital optical to the DAC is the only way to do it. Thing is the volume seems lower, and i THINK the sound is a bit more lifeless.

I checked the WXC-50 settings, and all input volume output are set at 0 db (no extra volume for Tidal or lower volume for the optical input). Same on the TV - the digital volume output is set to max.

Is this normal in general? Does streaming via Chromecast (be it through a Chromecast dongle, TV connected to optical to a DAC, or any dac/streamer/integrated amp that supports Chromecast) result in lower volume and/or lower sound quality comparted to the native app of the manufacturer of the DAC? (Yamaha>MusicCast ; NAD>BlueOS, etc) ?

You have a volume knob to compensate for differences in input volumes - stop stressing and enjoy the music.

Just a thought but do you have the Google Home app on your phone. Regular Chromecast devices have their own volume control accessible in the home app, I wonder if the built in Chromecast on your TV shows up there and can have the volume increased independently of the TVs settings.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom