My best TVs for next gen gaming 2020-21

No idea which is best or if there’s any other brands around this price to consider?
One is ranked higher in the guide for good reason. The Samsung Q80T has brighter HDR, and some gamer centered features the Sony lacks such as Motion interpolation available in game mode, better dark frame insertion to reduce motion blur in game mode.

The Sony is a low-tier HDR TV because it doesn't get bright, therefore it will be unimpressive/troublesome in many HDR games.

Only time I'd personally buy the Sony is if A. I was strictly going to use SDR, and not HDR with the TV and B. I was buying a TV for motion in sports as a priority above everything else.

One is ranked higher in the guide for good reason. The Samsung Q80T has brighter HDR, and some gamer centered features the Sony lacks such as Motion interpolation available in game mode, better dark frame insertion to reduce motion blur in game mode.

The Sony is a low-tier HDR TV because it doesn't get bright, therefore it will be unimpressive/troublesome in many HDR games.

Only time I'd personally buy the Sony is if A. I was strictly going to use SDR, and not HDR with the TV and B. I was buying a TV for motion in sports as a priority above everything else.

Thanks for that info it’s much appreciated. Hopefully the Samsung will drop in price on Black Friday.

But am I right in thinking it doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 and so doesn’t support 120hz?

Are there any others I should be looking at or is the Samsung the best for the budget I have?

Last edited:
But am I right in thinking it doesn’t have HDMI 2.1 and so doesn’t support 120hz?
It has 1x HDMI 2.1 port if you are shopping 55" and higher. It supports all the HDMI 2.1 features including a 120hz refresh rate. Info should all be in the OP.

It's up to you to decide between a TV like the Samsung or the Hisense U8Q. The U8Q has better HDR, but no HDMI 2.1.

It has 1x HDMI 2.1 port if you are shopping 55" and higher. It supports all the HDMI 2.1 features including a 120hz refresh rate. Info should all be in the OP.

It's up to you to decide between a TV like the Samsung or the Hisense U8Q. The U8Q has better HDR, but no HDMI 2.1.

Yeah it’s a right minefield! Thanks again for the help!

Hi,
New to the forum and quickly realised that I know next to nothing about TV's!!! Waiting for the Black Friday sales to get a new TV for the new xbox I've got coming so my priority will be gaming for the TV, however I do play a shit-ton of FIFA so I don't want anything with the risk of screen burn (which I gather is still only small)

Size wise I'm looking between 43 - 55 and would rather higher specs over a bigger screen, I originally was considering a budget of around £700 before I fell down the QLED vs OLED wormhole on one of these threads.

I guess my main questions are whats the best 4K 43-55 TV's currently around £700 that will not be susceptible to screen burn, or is it worth waiting a bit and paying the extra for something like the LG BX - LG OLED65BX6LB : BX 65 inch 4K Smart OLED TV | LG UK

and then if I am going to pay over £1100 what would be the best TV's around that price point for gaming / 4K streaming?

Great forum and I've already spent way too many work hours on there!

Cheers

Hi,
New to the forum and quickly realised that I know next to nothing about TV's!!! Waiting for the Black Friday sales to get a new TV for the new xbox I've got coming so my priority will be gaming for the TV, however I do play a sh*t-ton of FIFA so I don't want anything with the risk of screen burn (which I gather is still only small)

Size wise I'm looking between 43 - 55 and would rather higher specs over a bigger screen, I originally was considering a budget of around £700 before I fell down the QLED vs OLED wormhole on one of these threads.

I guess my main questions are whats the best 4K 43-55 TV's currently around £700 that will not be susceptible to screen burn, or is it worth waiting a bit and paying the extra for something like the LG BX - LG OLED65BX6LB : BX 65 inch 4K Smart OLED TV | LG UK

and then if I am going to pay over £1100 what would be the best TV's around that price point for gaming / 4K streaming?

Great forum and I've already spent way too many work hours on there!

Cheers
Welcome to the forum! The best TVs are ranked in order in the opening post. If you play a lot of FIFA you are at risk of burn in more than other games. How soon you see it will depend how much you play it. 8-10h use a week is considerably lower risk than say 20-30h.

If you want to not worry about burn in completely, look at LCD TVs in the guide instead. Samsung first since they have more gaming features than other TVs. Sony XH9505 and Hisense U8Q are also good options, the latter if on a tight budget.

There's no such thing as a 'QLED' TV. Its just marketing for LCD TVs that have a specific way to create colour.

The LG BX is an OLED, so you'd have to decide about your risk of burn in before considering that model. It's also not in the guide yet because of uncertainty when it comes to HDMI 2.1 VRR.

Welcome to the forum! The best TVs are ranked in order in the opening post. If you play a lot of FIFA you are at risk of burn in more than other games. How soon you see it will depend how much you play it. 8-10h use a week is considerably lower risk than say 20-30h.

If you want to not worry about burn in completely, look at LCD TVs in the guide instead. Samsung first since they have more gaming features than other TVs. Sony XH9505 and Hisense U8Q are also good options, the latter if on a tight budget.

There's no such thing as a 'QLED' TV. Its just marketing for LCD TVs that have a specific way to create colour.

The LG BX is an OLED, so you'd have to decide about your risk of burn in before considering that model. It's also not in the guide yet because of uncertainty when it comes to HDMI 2.1 VRR.

Can you elaborate on the last part about the LG BX. Just looked into it and seems like a good tv for the price

Can you elaborate on the last part about the LG BX. Just looked into it and seems like a good tv for the price
Check the opening post. It uses an older image processor, and HDMI 2.1 VRR whilst using HDR with the TV is uncertain.

My zon and a mate of mine are wanting to buy the 65 cx olecd. They both game a lot one playing fifa for 2 3 hrs most days would this be considered a big risk or would they be better going for a q90t. Both watch a lot of films and netflix. Im telling them oled but i dont want the blame for burn in.. I cant seem to find the video on oled gaming burn in to show them using fifa

Excellent! I'll continue my research!

Think I've decided on a size 55' but thats all so far. LG CX, Sony XH900/905 or one of the Samsungs mentioned are all on my radar. Im hoping to get something at the 1k mark, wishful thinking the CX would drop that much during Black Friday?

They LG CX is very tempting just because it literally ticks ALL the boxes, but my concern is still down to the screen burn. I would of course make sure to look after it as much as possible but....
I do play a lot of FIFA, could easily hit 20 hrs a week on it sometimes (not always). I also watch a lot of sport. From reading various articles plus some youtube tests, they all pretty much say its not something to be overly concerned about however.

Looking at the LCD screens, Im confused on the Sony Series mentioned here. The Sony XH900 has recently received an update that enables HDMI 2.1, but what I assume is an even higher spec model XH950 doesnt have this feature?

Could the XH950 also receive the same update or is the tv just not capable?

Another question I have, outside of gaming, most of the TV/Film content I'll use is
- Sky Go app on Xbox
- Netflix (non 4k)
- Random streams

I dont have fibre so 4k content outside of the console is not obtainable. Will the clearer TV's make the above even worse? Amplify the poor quality of some football streams etc? I also like the thought of being able to use the TV as a second monitor (seen this as wireless feature which I like, not something I would use all the time however)

From reading the above, DodgeXander would you rule out the Oled screen without hesitation due to the FIFA/Sport interest?

My zon and a mate of mine are wanting to buy the 65 cx olecd. They both game a lot one playing fifa for 2 3 hrs most days would this be considered a big risk or would they be better going for a q90t. Both watch a lot of films and netflix. Im telling them oled but i dont want the blame for burn in.. I cant seem to find the video on oled gaming burn in to show them using fifa
5000h till they saw burn in FIFA. The math; 5000h / 3h a day = 1667 sessions. 1667/365 days = 4.5 years.

So fine if you are happy with the TV in the worst case scenario lasting for 4 and half years, but not good if you want to keep the TV for longer without burn in.
Think I've decided on a size 55' but thats all so far. LG CX, Sony XH900/905 or one of the Samsungs mentioned are all on my radar. Im hoping to get something at the 1k mark, wishful thinking the CX would drop that much during Black Friday?
Yep, if you want OLED your only hope really would be the BX, we're hoping it will test out okay with HDMI 2.1 when the consoles are released and tested. Either that or you give up future proofing and go for the Philips OLED754 now.
Looking at the LCD screens, Im confused on the Sony Series mentioned here. The Sony XH900 has recently received an update that enables HDMI 2.1, but what I assume is an even higher spec model XH950 doesnt have this feature?
That is right, it doesn't have HDMI 2.1 but its ranked higher in this guide because the XH9505 is a capable TV with HDR, whilst the XH9005 isn't. - I think I wrote detail on this if you see the XH9005 in the OP of the guide.
From reading the above, DodgeXander would you rule out the Oled screen without hesitation due to the FIFA/Sport interest?
Sport - it depends what you watch, things like Formula one or cricket are going to be higher risk than football.
FIFA - a high risk video game, if you play 2-3h a day you can expect the TV to last around 4-6 years before burn in. Its best to buy an LCD TV if you play a lot of FIFA and want to keep the TV for a longer time.

What about CBeebies on a lot! 😂
LG have a feature that dims logos that reduces the risk, logos aren't as dangerous as they used to be.

If its used a lot though it could still result in burn in in the long term. You could avoid it by keeping the picture mode on zoom when they watch.

If its something you don't want to police, you should go for an LCD TV instead.

5000h till they saw burn in FIFA. The math; 5000h / 3h a day = 1667 sessions. 1667/365 days = 4.5 years.

So fine if you are happy with the TV in the worst case scenario lasting for 4 and half years, but not good if you want to keep the TV for longer without burn in.
I may have misunderstood the cover provided but I believe John Lewis offer burn in protection for an extra £140 or so, for 6 years. Assuming nothing else goes wrong with the panel if you're seeing burn-in after 4 to 5 years due to the heavy usage I believe you might be covered for a replacement or repair under that service (though it hasn't really been tested in practice as to whether they'll pay out). Alternative if no burn in by 7 - 8 years...you've probably done OK out of the set regardless! Is that right?

Really stuck on what TV to get for around £1k, I've just got a refund on my Hisense due to awful software bugs.

The Sony XH90 seems to look really good VFM, and has been updated to support HDMI 2.1 I believe. But this update comes with reports of the TV randomly restarting.

The Samsung Q range seem to have issues with dimming after 6 minutes, and they haven't fixed this since early reports half a year ago.

This puts me off the above 2 TVs, I've just got our of a TV with buggy software and don't want another.

So this leaves the CX, has anyone put an XSX through one yet do we know? Some people are mentioning the HDMI 2.1 ports do not have full bandwidth.

I'm also concerned about screen burn, but as someone who doesn't play Fifa (but I do play racing games a lot), and I don't watch news/shopping channels with lots of static graphics, is this much of an issue?

Are there any other HDMI 2.1 tvs to consider since the guide was written?

Really stuck on what TV to get for around £1k, I've just got a refund on my Hisense due to awful software bugs.

The Sony XH90 seems to look really good VFM, and has been updated to support HDMI 2.1 I believe. But this update comes with reports of the TV randomly restarting.

The Samsung Q range seem to have issues with dimming after 6 minutes, and they haven't fixed this since early reports half a year ago.

This puts me off the above 2 TVs, I've just got our of a TV with buggy software and don't want another.

So this leaves the CX, has anyone put an XSX through one yet do we know? Some people are mentioning the HDMI 2.1 ports do not have full bandwidth.

I'm also concerned about screen burn, but as someone who doesn't play Fifa (but I do play racing games a lot), and I don't watch news/shopping channels with lots of static graphics, is this much of an issue?

Are there any other HDMI 2.1 tvs to consider since the guide was written?

What Hisense did you have and how old was it? What kind of bugs?

It seems a bit limited at the moment. I think I'm swaying to holding off for a year until next years TVs are released and been reduced this time next year as there's not much on release thats going to take advantage of 120. I suppose you need a TV now though dont you.

Maybe go have a play with them in John Lewis as you may not like the menu system on one which could rule that one out.

I have seen on Hotukdeals the Sony 55" has an offer on at sevenoaks and someone has got Richersounds to price beat to £879

What Hisense did you have and how old was it? What kind of bugs?

It seems a bit limited at the moment. I think I'm swaying to holding off for a year until next years TVs are released and been reduced this time next year as there's not much on release thats going to take advantage of 120. I suppose you need a TV now though dont you.

Maybe go have a play with them in John Lewis as you may not like the menu system on one which could rule that one out.

I have seen on Hotukdeals the Sony 55" has an offer on at sevenoaks and someone has got Richersounds to price beat to £879

It was the 55U7A, lots of crashing issues (not just on the smart system, just changing volume/switching inputs etc). Any of the TVs I'm looking at now will be a big upgrade, although I really loved the PQ of the Hisense!

I went to JL last night! I wasn't as wow'd as I expected by the LG, the store displays are pretty crap in the York store though. The Samsung looked great and I preferred the software over the LG initially (not a huge fan of the Wii interface but you don't have to use that I guess).

I would get the Sony if it wasn't for the restart issues, that's a great price!

Also just spotted the Panasonic now - Panasonic TX-55HZ980B (2020) OLED HDR 4K Ultra HD Smart TV, 55 inch with Freeview Play & Dolby Atmos, Black at John Lewis & Partners

Sport - it depends what you watch, things like Formula one or cricket are going to be higher risk than football.
FIFA - a high risk video game, if you play 2-3h a day you can expect the TV to last around 4-6 years before burn in. Its best to buy an LCD TV if you play a lot of FIFA and want to keep the TV for a longer time.

Correct me if I'm wrong, as I may not understand burn in correctly - but doesn't alternating content pretty much eliminate the risk of burn in? I would have expected burn in being because the pixels are constantly displaying the same thing.

Won't say, watching football one day, formula 1 the next day, and playing 3 or 4 different games eliminate the risk?

The more im looking the more im swaying to the Sony XH90. Hoping it drops to <=£800 around black Friday

It looks great, I'm just concerned about the restart issue people are talking about in the Sony section.

I think thats has sold it for me. I think for the price its a cracking TV. So long as VRR isn't far away in a firmware update.

Do you have a link to the discussion about it restarting? Is it since the new firmware with thr 2.1 update?

I think thats has sold it for me. I think for the price its a cracking TV. So long as VRR isn't far away in a firmware update.

Do you have a link to the discussion about it restarting? Is it since the new firmware with thr 2.1 update?

Discussion here - Sony XH90 4K LCD TV Preview

My local richer sounds said they'll do it at £889 but it's on back order, also on order at my local sevenoaks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom