My best value TVs, 2019-2020 Edition

Fab - about to pull the trigger at £574 for the 65". upgrading from a 12 year old sony KDL-52W5500, so should be a good step up

so i pulled the trigger on the tx65gx700b, had it for a week, but the firmware kept bugging out. so its going back to richersounds now.

So now on the lookout for a new tv, ideally a 55-60 inch, i think 65 was too large.

Dont have wide viewing angles so VA is fine.

so i pulled the trigger on the tx65gx700b, had it for a week, but the firmware kept bugging out. so its going back to richersounds now.

So now on the lookout for a new tv, ideally a 55-60 inch, i think 65 was too large.

Dont have wide viewing angles so VA is fine.
Try to stretch to the Sony XF9005 or XG9505 both at 55". See special mention section of the guide regarding 60" TVs.

Hi Garioch, I'm looking to buy a 55" for living room with mainly central viewing. Watching TV plays and films (not all of them have 4K option) mostly with occasional sports and Xbox gaming. I'm kind of hesitating between AE7400 and U7QF.

I know U7QF has a bigger spec but not sure if I can justify the £200 difference with my purpose. Hisense U7B was in my list too but not sure if it's a better TV than AE7400 overall.

TCL C71 was considered but complaints on dirty effects and banding in this forum really pushing me away.

If you are going to be watching a lot more HDR content, then you might be able to justify the U7QF. It has a FALD panel and at a claimed 700 nits, is going to be brighter than the AE7400, and subsequently have a higher colour volume.

That said - I just purchased a 43" A7500 for the kitchen, which has marginal differences to the AE7400 you mentioned. It is a stonking little TV and you certainly get a lot for your money. I know on paper, it is statistically an entry level TV. But I played some 4K HDR youtube clips that I know well and was genuinely surprised. I had it in "cinema mode" but the footage exhibited enormous clarity and depth.

I already have a calibrated TV that I use as my "main" TV. I was expecting a "flat" look to the image; akin to the Echo Show or first generation iPad pro that sits in the kitchen currently. But for the money; initial impressions were highly positive (but I confess - my expectations were low). It's not perfect (I noticed some crushed blacks) but it wasn't bad at all.

Reviewing your needs, it depends on what access you have to HDR content. If the bulk of your footage is going to be SDR, then it probably makes sense to save the £200 and get the AE7400. It'll still play HDR content and look decent IMO. If you've access to things like Netflix premium, UHD player, Apple TV, Disney +, Amazon etc. then you could justify the upgrade to the U7QF.

Some comparisons of the models I've mentioned below. Hope that helps.

hisense.png

hisense2.png

If you are going to be watching a lot more HDR content, then you might be able to justify the U7QF. It has a FALD panel and at a claimed 700 nits, is going to be brighter than the AE7400, and subsequently have a higher colour volume.

That said - I just purchased a 43" A7500 for the kitchen, which has marginal differences to the AE7400 you mentioned. It is a stonking little TV and you certainly get a lot for your money. I know on paper, it is statistically an entry level TV. But I played some 4K HDR youtube clips that I know well and was genuinely surprised. I had it in "cinema mode" but the footage exhibited enormous clarity and depth.

I already have a calibrated TV that I use as my "main" TV. I was expecting a "flat" look to the image; akin to the Echo Show or first generation iPad pro that sits in the kitchen currently. But for the money; initial impressions were highly positive (but I confess - my expectations were low). It's not perfect (I noticed some crushed blacks) but it wasn't bad at all.

Reviewing your needs, it depends on what access you have to HDR content. If the bulk of your footage is going to be SDR, then it probably makes sense to save the £200 and get the AE7400. It'll still play HDR content and look decent IMO. If you've access to things like Netflix premium, UHD player, Apple TV, Disney +, Amazon etc. then you could justify the upgrade to the U7QF.

View attachment 1348435
View attachment 1348448

Thank you very much for the thorough reply. I'll be mainly streaming from Amazon and IPTV so would assume not all of them will be available in 4K.

I've ordered an 55AE7400 from RS with amazing 6 years warranty! I think this will be a lot TV for a 4K newbie (my first 4K device) and as I'm looking to buy another TV for a dark room later this year, I can give myself enough time to decide if I want to pay the premium for a higher end.

Would be great to know your calibration for your A7500 when you've done it!

I've got the newer non-pro model and a 2017 one. There is no discernible difference between them in everyday use I can find other than the newer one has no USB ports, which I don't need.

If I had a working Shield, I wouldn't waste any money "upgrading" it. I doubt you'd notice.
Hi mate, I've been wondering about shield lately, if your not interested in the gaming side are there many benefits to it over using stock smart TV apps for Netflix, YouTube etc?

The stock smart apps on your TV, if you keep it long enough will eventually end up unsupported in all likelihood. The Shield keeps getting updated.

If your TV isn't capable of streaming the DD+ Atmos audio over HDMI to an Atmos capable system, the Shield is.

The main reason I keep choosing it is performance. I have a huge media library and updating and browsing it can be very slow on a lot of cheaper boxes. I have a Vero4K as well, it's more than decent for just using Kodi, but compared to the Shield it is considerably slower.
Basically, the Shield works, a lot of cheaper boxes I've seen have been bug ridden with issues that never get fixed.

Try to stretch to the Sony XF9005 or XG9505 both at 55". See special mention section of the guide regarding 60" TVs.

the XF9005 has certainly peaked my interest - but sadly not in stock at richer sounds /john lewis.

Hi all. Im new to the forum so not 100% sure on the protocol here. You all seem like a friendly and informed bunch so I will jump in and see what happens!

Im looking to get a new TV (obviously). The space I have in my room will fit a 49". My sofa is about 10 feet away from the tv which is straight on. A further chair is at an angle of maybe 30 degrees and maybe 12 feet away.

We generally only sit down properly to watch films and Netflix. I would upgrade my Netflix to 4k once I have a new TV in place. I was looking to spend between £500-£600 on a TV and then maybe £200 on a soundbar. I could forego the soundbar and get that later in the year so if it was worth it I could spend between 700-800 on a TV.

After looking at the recommendations by the excellent Dodgexander 2 are standing out.

The LG 49 Inch 49SM8500PLA Smart 4K HDR LED TV which is £500 in Argos and apparently on "Clearance". It doesnt mention anything about warranty however it is on the same price at HBA Woolacotts with a 5 year warranty. I would have to research a little into that site as its a new one to me.

This would give me a bit of money to play with for a soundbar

The other option would be the Sony Bravia KD49XH8196BU which is at the higher end of what Id want to pay and would mean waiting for a soundbar.

Any thoughts on these or other options available?

Thank you in advance
make sure Argos have them in stock !!! They tend to offer some of the best deals,,,, until you're ready to buy. Just check first. Good Luck.

I have found a Q90R at under £1400 online, I wanted a C9 really but they are all sold out. Do you think I will miss Dolby Vision and eArc?

I don't know.

Why do you think you might miss them?

We don't know your setup, what you want from your TV.

Do you game a lot, have plans to buy a next gen console, have an AVR, have or are planning to have any 4k sources?

These and many other things are relevant to your question.

I don't know.

Why do you think you might miss them?

We don't know your setup, what you want from your TV.

Do you game a lot, have plans to buy a next gen console, have an AVR, have or are planning to have any 4k sources?

These and many other things are relevant to your question.

Sorry I should have included that info! I want a versatile TV used for tv shows (mostly kids show), films and occasional gaming. I am planning to get a next gen console, I have a PS4 pro and Xbox one X. I'm coming from a Samsung 43 inch KS7500 tv.

I was thinking of getting a JBL 9.1 Soundbar at the same time as my new TV. I would imagine having eArc would be better for this soundbar?

Dolby vision seems to be better than standard HDR, i guess it is just FOMO really

HDR, with the right TV, is a game changer. It's more noticeable than the resolution bump to 4K.

Dolby Vision, it's a nice thing to have, but it's an incremental difference, it's not the difference between HDR and SDR difference. I should note I don't have an OLED, perhaps DV is much more noticeable on those.

eARC would benefit the soundbar if you have more than one external source but you'd really be cutting your options down regarding choice.

Appears that most 55 inch TVs recommended on here are out of stock. Mega frustrating. Anyone able to tell me the best TV out there for about £750? @Dodgexander / anyone? Lol

Last edited:
Appears that most 55 inch TVs recommended on here are out of stock. Mega frustrating. Anyone able to tell me the best TV out there for about £750? @Dodgexander / anyone? Lol
There's discussion just above about one. The Sony XF9005. The other that is also in the guide is the Sony XG9505. Snap them up before they sell out. 2020 stock that is left otherwise will be poor value for money for some time.

So the Sony 55XF is £750 - thats a 2018 model?
The Sony 55XG is £1000 - thats a 2020 model?
Surely the 2018 is better value for money?
Sorry for the noob questions

The XG is a 2019 model and a step up for HDR quality. I wouldn't deny the XF is excellent value for money.

It's down to you.

Im choosing between hisense 55u7b for 500€ and Samsung 55TU8505 600€.

Wich is the better deal?

The Hisense. The Samsung is a 2020 model and for that reason is overpriced and not included in the guide.

You won't find comparable deals on new 2020 models until Black Friday 2020, perhaps later. Not only that, but that Samsung TV could be using either type of panel (VA or IPS) which makes it hard to recommend at all.

View attachment 1348435
View attachment 1348448

View attachment 1348435
View attachment 1348448

Hi Garioch, I had my TV delivered today but noticed 2 stuck pixels straight away, pics enclosed. I ran an hour flashing but they didn't go. Would such issue be normally covered by RS or Hisense please? Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_20200814_224147.jpg
    IMG_20200814_224147.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 64
  • IMG_20200814_224159.jpg
    IMG_20200814_224159.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 61
Would such issue be normally covered by RS or Hisense please?
You are in your right to return the TV, even if there's no fault. If you mention you have dead pixels I'm pretty sure they'll offer to swap the TV.

Hi. I'm looking for a budget 43" for the bedroom. The hisense that's recommended - 43B7500 - has been replaced by the AE7400 according to Amazon? Is this right, seems like a lower number lol. I know nothing about this end of the market so I'm just looking for the best 43" at around £400.

Hi. I'm looking for a budget 43" for the bedroom. The hisense that's recommended - 43B7500 - has been replaced by the AE7400 according to Amazon? Is this right, seems like a lower number lol. I know nothing about this end of the market so I'm just looking for the best 43" at around £400.
That is correct, although with the newer model having less reviews or feedback we are uncertain if it performs as well. Usually TVs improve, but not always.

If I were you I wouldn't buy a 2020 model until Black Friday. There are some older B series models floating about still if you can still find one. B7120, B7100, B7300 as well as B7500.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom