My eyes are rolling into the back of my head after too much virtual shopping

rousetafarian

Reaction score
Budget £40k on PCP and aiming for around £500/month max upto £3k deposit and roughly 14k miles/annum over 4 years

Lightly used, nearly new or pre-reg probably German

330+ bhp
Petrol preferably
AWD or RWD

Coming from a 310bhp Golf R so I want to up the game from there.

Narrowed down to BMW M340i or X3 or X4 M40i but the used PCP rates from a franchised dealer are around 10% (is that typical these days for used my new Golf R was on 4.3% APR)

No kids

No other conditions as my mind is open, help me spend my car allowance.....

Thanks

A new M340i isn't much over £40k and new PCP rates are much lower then used.

BMW M2 Competition in stock £1.6K down and £599.month based on 8K miles is attractive if I didnt want to actually drive t anywhere often

BMW M2 Competition in stock £1.6K down and £599.month based on 8K miles is attractive if I didnt want to actually drive t anywhere often
One helluva drive, but I think you'd be mildly peeved every time it needed a service. The service intervals are less than half of a cooking M240i, and a good bit more expensive. That's the golden ticket with the M340i which journalists don't seem to pick up, that it's got the power to nearly embarrass an RS4, but costs the same as a 320d to run, albeit a bit thirstier on fuel.

I gave the M2 serious thought a year ago. The drive was sublime, smiles with every mile, but the problem I had is the interior was already dated, and in 4 years will look seriously old. Each to their own, but the design is already 10 years old. Modern classic though, so you'd stand to have some equity back at the end

Same thing that put me off the M140i, I'd get into it every time after seeing a friends A35/45, RS3 I know I'd be left a bit flat every time I got in.

Honestly a tough one - in your position, my shortlist would be the M340i, C43, X3M40i - with two curveballs. A slightly older Macan Turbo, or total wildcard - Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio..... just for the thrill every time.

How about a new Nismo 370z
Forget about white and get it in BLACK 😎
340bhp
RWD
Do it now before kids come.

How about a new Nismo 370z
Forget about white and get it in BLACK 😎
340bhp
RWD
Do it now before kids come.

No fear of kids....just my OH in the passenger seat and a Corgi-cross in the back

One helluva drive, but I think you'd be mildly peeved every time it needed a service. The service intervals are less than half of a cooking M240i, and a good bit more expensive. That's the golden ticket with the M340i which journalists don't seem to pick up, that it's got the power to nearly embarrass an RS4, but costs the same as a 320d to run, albeit a bit thirstier on fuel.

I gave the M2 serious thought a year ago. The drive was sublime, smiles with every mile, but the problem I had is the interior was already dated, and in 4 years will look seriously old. Each to their own, but the design is already 10 years old. Modern classic though, so you'd stand to have some equity back at the end

Same thing that put me off the M140i, I'd get into it every time after seeing a friends A35/45, RS3 I know I'd be left a bit flat every time I got in.

Honestly a tough one - in your position, my shortlist would be the M340i, C43, X3M40i - with two curveballs. A slightly older Macan Turbo, or total wildcard - Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio..... just for the thrill every time.
Your shortlist is almost matching mine, bar the Macan Turbo, the Alfa QF is a little bit of a stretch plus hefty running costs, so my I’m leaning towards a M340i, with a bunch of local dealers within walking distance from work for servicing etc.

I’ve no Interest in the M140/240 or RS3, A35/45 - I’m too old and grumpy. The C43 could be a viable option but then I’d always be wondering about the C63 and ’what if’?

Your shortlist is almost matching mine, bar the Macan Turbo, the Alfa QF is a little bit of a stretch plus hefty running costs, so my I’m leaning towards a M340i, with a bunch of local dealers within walking distance from work for servicing etc.

I’ve no Interest in the M140/240 or RS3, A35/45 - I’m too old and grumpy. The could be a viable option but then I’d always be wondering about the C63 and ’what if’?
Looked at a Macan Turbo with my old man around launch back in 2014, and still reeling from the total lack of reality from Porsche in general. £3k deposit, upfront - for a 16 month lead time, for what is essentially a Q5 in drag with a beefy engine..... Nevertheless, I still like them :laugh:

The Alfa is one of those cars I'd love to drive, but not to own - tested one last year and was one of the best drives I've had - but I would expect it to be having something fixed more often than I could use it.

Can understand the aversion to the M140/A45 - bought by youfs intent on racing up and down urban streets at night. Which is why I as a youf bought an S3 I suppose :laugh: ... Very true with the C43, always had in the back of my mind it's the poor man's C63......

How about a pre FL S5 Sportback, so you get the last of the V6 petrols?

Looked at a Macan Turbo with my old man around launch back in 2014, and still reeling from the total lack of reality from Porsche in general. £3k deposit, upfront - for a 16 month lead time, for what is essentially a Q5 in drag with a beefy engine..... Nevertheless, I still like them :laugh:

The Alfa is one of those cars I'd love to drive, but not to own - tested one last year and was one of the best drives I've had - but I would expect it to be having something fixed more often than I could use it.

Can understand the aversion to the M140/A45 - bought by youfs intent on racing up and down urban streets at night..... Very true with the C43, always had in the back of my mind it's the poor man's C63......

How about a pre FL S5 Sportback, so you get the last of the V6 petrols?
I had a 3.0 S5 Couple on a 15 plate and loved it, there is a S7 locally at £35k from a subsidiary of a local BMW dealership which has the spec but is a little old at 2017.

I guess.I want it all... lol

I had a 3.0 S5 Couple on a 15 plate and loved it, there is a S7 locally at £35k from a subsidiary of a local BMW dealership which has the spec but is a little old at 2017.

Only that would put me off the S7 is the sheer size of the damn thing, it's like a barge. Trying to convince the old man to change from his 540ix to an 8GC, but I didn't realise how long the damn thing was.

Ok then, real curveball - haven't explored price, but what are used Alpina B3's at the moment? Other than that, I think you're struggling to find an all rounder better than the M340/X3 M40

I had this
FAF0B8E5-4324-4452-BBEF-56F7DE8DCDE8.jpeg

My 3.0 S5 Coupe Black Edition on a 15 plate and loved it, there is a S7 locally at £35k from a subsidiary of a local BMW dealership which has the spec but is a little old at 2017.

That was the supercharged V6 right? Always liked that shape, aged well

Something like this would be a nice refresh compared to that, new model and a decent enough step up in quality from the Golf R. Maybe a bit underbudget, but that's not a bad thing

However, between that and the M340, the BM fanboy in me still holds firm..... especially after seeing the carwow videos lately

That was the supercharged V6 right? Always liked that shape, aged well

Something like this would be a nice refresh compared to that, new model and a decent enough step up in quality from the Golf R. Maybe a bit underbudget, but that's not a bad thing

However, between that and the M340, the BM fanboy in me still holds firm..... especially after seeing the carwow videos lately
Very much supercharged, it was a lovely drive.

370Z is getting a bit long in the tooth now, they need a new model. Shame you can't get a Supra for £40k.

370Z is getting a bit long in the tooth now, they need a new model. Shame you can't get a Supra for £40k.

True, 0% offer though but you need a £15k deposit...

It can stay in the field, not for me. German ideally or Japanese at a pinch.

A mate of mine is seriously considering ending his lease early of an Audi S5 3.0 black edition for a Hyundai i30n Sportback after test driving one. He said hands down the Audi is faster, but it's boring and the Hyundai is much more fun to drive. The Hyundai is petrol and manual Vs the diesel automatic Audi.

Found a rather nice looking BMW M2 Competition from Stratstone on a 69 plate with 3k miles, but the clincher is their quoted 2.9% APR.

14k miles/annum over 4 years £500.00 on the nose with £2k down. I haven't seen any PCP rates that low in my time researching. What am I missing?

Getting such a nice car unless you put your money down... :D

On a used car that's great.

You can get a new one at 2.9% but it's nearly £600 a month and nearly 5K deposit.

You can get a new one at 2.9% but it's nearly £600 a month and nearly 5K deposit.
Exactly, that’s why I think the used one is a cracking deal and got their quote in writing.

Currently typical APR’s for used cars on a PCP start at 7.9% to 10% it seems. Obviously new is nice at @2.9% but the £40k limit is breached and the road tax increases etc never mind the £5k down and higher monthly fees.

I’m sure this must be a misquote.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom