My garage to home cinema conversion 2020.

Pretty sure you dont need planning permission and you only need to inform building control if its structural work being carried out. Unless you have grade 2 listed garage doors ? you can have what you like out front!! your dont have any windows at present so thats not a problem. and imho the projector route is the best way forward, you should get a 120" screen in your room. 4k HDR projectors are really coming down in price now and have excellent lumens output.

I’ve received my pre application advice from my LBC.

I can confirm that the proposal will require planning permission as a condition on the original planning consent for the development removed Permitted Development rights for any alterations, additions, or other works to the property.

Which was the response I expected. So I better crack on with the application.
Re planning permission, my LBC think differently. They’ve also highlighted concerns over the impact of reducing my off road parking from 3 to 2, by converting my garage. That came from pre application advice. I’ve now had to submit a planning permission application.

I think I might be okay, as I can widen my driveway slight to provide scope for three vehicles (planning portal width of 2.4m per vehicle; council previously did not object to converting part of turfed lawn to tarmac drive). The developer has no objections, in fact in the sales blur, they suggest converting the garage into a room.

My is one of the first on the development, I think my LBC is just being careful in setting a precedent.

Last edited:
Go for it, you NEED that man cave!! life will be so much better with the cinema.

My planning permission to convert my garage, has now be formally submitted. I beginning to have the feeling, that my boast of having the conversion completed by Xmas 2020, as a bit ambitious.

Hi buddy. I needed planning permission for my garage conversion but this included a window. As long as you can demonstrate an additional car park space to cover the one taken for the garage you'll be ok.

Hi buddy. I needed planning permission for my garage conversion but this included a window. As long as you can demonstrate an additional car park space to cover the one taken for the garage you'll be ok.
Thanks think I can achieve that. The window, was that something you wanted or was required to do?

It's something I did later. Originally I blocked the garage door. Externally appearance was the same with an internal wall blocking off.

Needed the room to be multifunctional so applied for full planning to add window. Bear in mind as council had removed permitted development rights I didn't need to pay planning fee for change if use. If your applying for planning which is beyond PD limits then a fee is applicable.

It's something I did later. Originally I blocked the garage door. Externally appearance was the same with an internal wall blocking off.

Needed the room to be multifunctional so applied for full planning to add window. Bear in mind as council had removed permitted development rights I didn't need to pay planning fee for change if use. If your applying for planning which is beyond PD limits then a fee is applicable.

I had to pay £200 when I went applied through the planning portal?

Still waiting to hear from my planning officer. In the meantime, just planning ahead, seems my garage conversion will need a window added as a means of fire escape. Currently the garage access door is an escape via another room. So a new window will have to be put in as part of the plan.

Don't really want a window, but there it is (will clarify with LBC). Don't fancy black blinds or film. Is there such a thing as blackout glass? My google search just seems to reveal expensive switchable privacy glass.

Why don't you fancy a black out blind?

You could make a 'bung' that effectively blocks out the light on the inside, but that can be removed easily if required.

Why don't you fancy a black out blind?

You could make a 'bung' that effectively blocks out the light on the inside, but that can be removed easily if required.

Suppose I could get one of those thats in a cassette frame. Just wondered if you can get dark glass.

Suppose I could get one of those thats in a cassette frame. Just wondered if you can get dark glass.
Mine is the cassette type and doesn't let any light through, even when the afternoon sun is shining right on the window. I did have to paint the cassette frame black though as they only come in white or silver.

I imagine you can get black glass, but you can also get film that sticks on the glass. There is even printed film, so from the outside it can look like a normal room!

Mine is the cassette type and doesn't let any light through, even when the afternoon sun is shining right on the window. I did have to paint the cassette frame black though as they only come in white or silver.

I imagine you can get black glass, but you can also get film that sticks on the glass. There is even printed film, so from the outside it can look like a normal room!

I found one site Vertical Blinds - Shy (UK) where I think the frame can be given an RAL colour.

An update.

My LBC has approved my application.

There was one objection as such, from the Town Council. In the original conditions of approval (for the new build development),there was a requirement for provision in garages, for parking of vehicles and storage space for pedal cycles. Pedal cycles 'In the interests of maximising opportunities for travel by sustainable modes of transport in accordance with the NPPF'. Its a 4 bed house, so it needs storage for 4 bikes.

I'm not quite sure, if I could of parked a reasonably sized family car in my garage and 4 bikes. But hey ho, and I can accommodate space for 4 bikes, in the storage area of my conversion.

However, with the current COViD19 crisis, getting anything done would be difficult and probably not appropriate. So I will still put things on hold, for the time being, till this crisis is over.

I don't think my idea of having this conversion completed by Xmas is going to happen.

Still waiting things out. Spoken to Building Control, I just need to submit a Building Notice, which I do shortly.

In the meantime, planning ahead. I'll probably have to provide some ventilation, which could be just a trickle ventilation on the new window. However I'm thinking of installing some mechanical ventilation, as the room will be mostly closed during use.

Quite like these Prana & Blauberg. I've read on here before, about sound loss through mechanical ventilation (i.e. annoying the neighbours), what have others done?

I have always been green with envy of others home cinemas. We moved to a new build house last year, and the internal garage was earmarked for a home cinema conversion from the beginning.

So in the New Year I will be starting. I intend to do most of it myself, mostly at weekends. I've posted here today, Xmas Day 2019, to kind of ensure its completed for Xmas 2020, peer pressure and all that.

I know almost diddly squat about AV, but have been reading here, getting some knowledge & ideas. I'm not sure what system to have, what kit to buy or even how much I will be spending. So I will be keen to hear of advice on that.

I've not drawn up any plans as such yet, but it will be done on the back of a fag packet. We've spent a fair bit on getting the rear garden done, so I can't afford to get any professional advice or planning. As you can see, my first task will be to get a skip(s). The remnants of my closed electrical business, and the last bits of crap from the old house.

View attachment 1236590
View attachment 1236591

The only thing I do know, is I would like a projector and acoustically transparent screen. The misses also wants the room to double as a playroom for our young grandchild, so no fixed seating I suspect. I would like it to be able to accommodate about 4 people. The dimensions of the existing garage is 5900mm x 2900mm. So I suppose my first question, is the project realistic with those dimensions? From what I've read, I think its a goer.

For 'cinema' use, I will be watching films supplied by Sky Q, Ultra HD player, I might even start downloading stuff? I'll also use it to watch F1. I'm also keen to have it well soundproofed, so as not to upset the neighbours and not wake the misses up, when I watch my F1 at odd hours, and or she can watch her tv programmes in the house.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Cheers for sharing.. Following your thread :clap:

Hi, when I converted my integral double garage I used mechanical ventilation - vent in hallway (to provide make-up air) to s-bend insulated ducting into room (via pelmet) - then x2 extract ducts (one in main room , one in cupboard) another ducting s-bend attached to TD-Silent Ecowatt 24/7 fan ( installed behind plasterboard in cupboard) then another s-bend ducting to outside) - separate fan controller set to 4/10 - works a treat

cheers

Tony

Quite often with new builds since at least 2008, some paranoid local authorities remove permitted development rights which is a PITA. We are not in a listed building or area. Although the full application seems to be free it was a farce. In our experience, Mole Valley District Council’ s planning dept is staffed by an incompetent bunch of maladministrating idiots, but they still get great benefits and gold plated pensions.

They insisted on 3 separate occasions that we needed planning to ’construct’ a one decking board high, wooden deck in our back garden. Oh yes that was their professional view. This put back our garden design to the following year as by the time they responded it was too late to find a contractor.

I didn’t mention when the brains trust finally inspected the site, they said permission wasn’t necessary. 🤬 Complaining got us no where. It was shocking and I can tell you this caused a GREAT deal of conflict at home. You do the right thing and get *****d in the process.

All the best with your project, you’ll love it when it’s done😀

No updates, just adding some links for my information. :)

Amazon product ASIN B07WRDTX4C

Amazon product ASIN B01LF8AQUO

Amazon product ASIN B01MU2YSR4

Which acoustically transparent screen fabric | Page 3 | AVForums

Last edited:
Things moving very slowly, much down to COVID.

Had my garage door replaced with electric roller one. Had the gas boiler moved into adjoining utility room. Had to have installed a fire escape window. Got a builder in to make an opening in side wall. Window due to be installed, end of September. Have removed the existing plasterboard ceiling.

Think I’ve found a Third Party Certifier Electrician, to inspect and certify me new electrical works. So that’s one thing covered. Just need to locate an installer for my ac, been declined by two local companies.

Once the window has been installed, looking at installing the stud work, and first fix my electrics, hopefully starting in October.

Might be finished by Xmas 21!

Thought I’d drop you some images of my internal garage conversion. This was done 3yrs ago. Fully sound-proofed (well as much as I could!). Might give you some inspiration. Screen is a 94” Sapphire.

Speakers have been upgraded very recently to something else!

Attachments

• 64C023F7-7929-4F4D-8CB4-3888DF3E956F.jpeg
    64C023F7-7929-4F4D-8CB4-3888DF3E956F.jpeg
    166.8 KB · Views: 415
  • 71262F40-2627-406E-88D5-7B47B9594377.jpeg
    71262F40-2627-406E-88D5-7B47B9594377.jpeg
    171.5 KB · Views: 394
  • CB9BB302-BCEF-405A-8A8B-D35838D0057B.jpeg
    CB9BB302-BCEF-405A-8A8B-D35838D0057B.jpeg
    332.5 KB · Views: 391
  • 3946D80D-6A23-4102-A914-6BDA668A12C4.jpeg
    3946D80D-6A23-4102-A914-6BDA668A12C4.jpeg