My MK Sound 5.1.4 Build thread

Definitely demo the X10’s as well

Thanks for recommendation.

I will get another picture up when I’m back home, just doing some research while drinking beer in the back garden at the in-laws watching our new puppy destroy the place.

Budget wise will depend on selling the DD18+ but ideally around 5-6k.

Thanks for recommendation.

I will get another picture up when I’m back home, just doing some research while drinking beer in the back garden at the in-laws watching our new puppy destroy the place.

Budget wise will depend on selling the DD18+ but ideally around 5-6k.

If not in a rush I'd hold off until review start to drop on the new Arendal 1723 range. Arendal are claiming that the 2S is the best subwoofer in the world for music regardless of price (big statement!!!), the specs seem to suggest they'll dig deep for movies as well.

If not in a rush I'd hold off until review start to drop on the new Arendal 1723 range. Arendal are claiming that the 2S is the best subwoofer in the world for music regardless of price (big statement!!!), the specs seem to suggest they'll dig deep for movies as well.

Thanks, no rush at all tbh, the TV will be changed 1st so I’m just in the research and demo stage.

I really love my DD18+ but don’t want to spend another 5.5k on a second one so I’m going to try and sell it first.

I'm also really interested in the X12's as well.

@mb3195 slightly concerned with the 2S only having a 13.8" driver though.

@mb3195 slightly concerned with the 2S only having a 13.8" driver though.

Dual drivers though which I believe is equivalent to around a 20.8” single driver.

Worth looking at these stats. This is the CEA specs for your current 18" velodyne:
Capture.PNG

This is the new 2S:
arendal.PNG

Last edited:
I can’t imagine any of the MK subs being an upgrade from that Velodyne beast you have, even the X12, maybe more of a sideways move. Arendal make nice well priced subs, as do PSA if looks aren’t majorly important!

I can’t imagine any of the MK subs being an upgrade from that Velodyne beast you have, even the X12, maybe more of a sideways move. Arendal make nice well priced subs, as do PSA if looks aren’t majorly important!

I agree however I want to go back to running duals and don’t have 5.5k for another Velodyne.

The PSA is a possibility however I do really like the size of the X12’s. I’m not that bothered with ultra low bass, punch is my thing which I believe this is what the MK’s are best at.

Last edited:
I agree however I want to go back to running duals and don’t have 5.5k for a Velodyne.

The PSA is a possibility however I do really like the size of the X12’s. I’m not that bothered with ultra low bass, punch is my thing which I believe this is what the MK’s are best at.

Won’t hold a torch to the arendals mate in this regard, even the current range.

SVS are also worth looking at.

PSA are supposed to be excellent.

Arendals are easily the best looking though.

Looks good, I bet you’re very pleased.
Now you’ve had it all installed for a while how do you rate the IC95’s?
Are they a good match for your IW150’s

Won’t hold a torch to the arendals mate in this regard, even the current range.

SVS are also worth looking at.

PSA are supposed to be excellent.

Arendals are easily the best looking though.
In your opinion. Horses for courses.

The only way to know is to get a demonstration.

Seriously Cinema have the best home cinema showroom in the UK.

Take a trip and trust your ears.............

Thanks, it’s certainly better than it was, a few issues remain though.

Sub wise I was leaning towards Arendal but I can’t fit the 2V in the alcove as there’s not enough room for the drivers to breath so I’m still yet to decide.

Dual Sub 1’s maybe 🤔

Sub wise I was leaning towards Arendal but I can’t fit the 2V in the alcove as there’s not enough room for the drivers to breath so I’m still yet to decide.

Dual Sub 1’s maybe 🤔
That'll work😉, although what you've already got is no slouch either to be fair. It'll take some beating but two would help👍

If you are not in a hurry, I’d suggest you wait for Lyngdorfs bigger boundary woofers that I hope will arrive next spring.

The Steinway systems I have here give better bass and mid bass than any systems I’ve ever heard because of boundary woofers and RoomPerfect. Anyone is welcome to come and put this to the test.

Here is my take on the difference between boundary woofer and subs:-

Subwoofers are typically designed to give the maximum output below 100Hz, often from the smallest enclosure. The drive units and amps are chosen for maximum output rather than optimal quality. Add a sub to a home cinema and you’ll get more power and low-end extension but typically not the quality of bass an audiophile would be happy with.

Ideally boundary woofers should be used in pairs, placed in the front corners of the room. These are the only location that will give optimal timing because all the energy from woofers arrives at the listener once. Placed in these locations and calibrated with RoomPerfect they provide the best possible power response from your system, so you feel as well as hear the bass. Designed to play flat up to 800Hz, the drive units are chosen for the best timing rather than maximum output. This higher bandwidth requires higher quality amplification than those found in subs.

If the highest fidelity bass and mid bass is required, I don’t know of any method that delivers the same quality and consistency as boundary woofers. When used in this way this also means very small speakers can be used in stereo or surround system without compromising performance.

Dual Sub 1’s maybe 🤔

Dual 2s if you can mate, they kick like an absolute mule!! Full SPL all the way to 10hz, but absolute control through the whole frequency range.

Dual 2s if you can mate, they kick like an absolute mule!! Full SPL all the way to 10hz, but absolute control through the whole frequency range.

That's a good call, I think the 2S stacked could really work well, the alcove is 75 cm wide approx and Arendal recommend a 10cm gap between the driver and any wall, what do you think ?

I could even fit stacked 2V's, I'm getting excited

They should fit in well stacked ?

Last edited:
That's a good call, I think the 2S stacked could really work well, the alcove is 75 cm wide approx and Arendal recommend a 10cm gap between the driver and any wall, what do you think ?

I could even fit stacked 2V's, I'm getting excited

They should fit in well stacked ?

Depends if you want sealed or vented. I always run sealed hence why I changed my sub 3’s for the new 2s. If running sealed, stick with the 2s and save your money (and space).

Watching tenet last week, they are absolute monsters. (I’ve got a pair of 1s as well).

Depends if you want sealed or vented. I always run sealed hence why I changed my sub 3’s for the new 2s. If running sealed, stick with the 2s and save your money (and space).

Watching tenet last week, they are absolute monsters. (I’ve got a pair of 1s as well).

I do prefer a sealed sub if I'm honest, I could then add another near field one at a later date but would need to set that one up as wireless though

I do prefer a sealed sub if I'm honest, I could then add another near field one at a later date but would need to set that one up as wireless though

Both of My sub 2s are relatively near field, watching tenet you would honestly think that i has a Buttkicker installed on my seats 👍🏻

Still some finishing touches to sort.

Carpet tiles to be fitted
New blinds
Curtain for door
Equipment rack to be built
System to be setup and calibrated.

At least we are in the room now and have Sky TV back after living in the dark ages.

Will take some more pictures when everything complete and summarise the journey from start to finish.

Really please with how everything is taking shape.

View attachment 1258266View attachment 1258267
Hi very discreet in wall speakers but your front left and right speakers are so low down. Plenty of space on the wall to have got them placed higher up to the sides of the tv during the installation.

The front left and right speakers would sound audibly better for movies and music if they were at ear level from the sofa sitting position.

Rather than low down below ear level. Even if they have a adjustable angled tweeters/woofers pointed upwards.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom