NAD T 778 AV Receiver Review & Comments

So I'm probably doing something wrong 'cause I tried to do a test in which I plugged out my Apple TV4K from my ARC receiver and plugged it in direct to TV. I was not able to get any sound from my receiver although both arc setting are turned on (Both on my TV and my receiver)
I’m on the phone so can’t see your AV kit within the signature but I have a

LG C9 (has 4*hdmi2.1 ports) - sound setting has Arc-eArc On and set to Passthrough.
Nad - 4K output connected to the LG hdmi2.1 port 2 (eArc port).
Both console & uhd player for a test had been plugged into the LG’s hdmi port 3 and just worked (as long as the Nad was displaying HDMI ARC as the source).
I’m using hdmi 120Hz cable (not certified) but the console worked a few months back on a 60Hz certified hdmi cable.

Does your receiver display Arc as it’s source?

Last edited:
I’m on the phone so can’t see your AV kit within the signature but I have a

LG C9 (has 4*hdmi2.1 ports) - sound setting has Arc-eArc On and set to Passthrough.
Nad - 4K output connected to the LG hdmi2.1 port 2 (eArc port).
Both console & uhd player for a test had been plugged into the LG’s hdmi port 3 and just worked (as long as the Nad was displaying HDMI ARC as the source).
I’m using hdmi 120Hz cable (not certified) but the console worked a few months back on a 60Hz certified hdmi cable.

Does your receiver display Arc as it’s source?
Ok, I got it now! Wow, I really missed this feature's full intent. I thought it only concern "sources" that are coming from the internal apps of the TV.

So EARC is for apps only , that conflicts what Denon say about haveing only 1 8k HDMI , they say connect your PS5 XBOX X to TV with 2.1 and theTV Will send the audio signal back to the avr for atmos ect .
@Killzone My apologies, I was wrong. Please discard my remarks regarding eARC.

Thank you so much for this review @Phil Hinton, I've been really looking forward to it. All of the major design elements including the hybrid amps running cooler and more energy efficient, the lovely looking front panel, the display, all very compelling. But I don't think I'll get the plastic out for this just yet.

I don't think those pops would annoy me too much. Amps years ago used to do similar things before speaker protection circuits, and it's not damaging to speakers like taking a woofer from rest and then instantly over extending it (seen that a few times!). Nevertheless it's the niggles and lack of full range Dirac Live that's holding me back on this one right now, but it's tempting...

Nevertheless it's the niggles and lack of full range Dirac Live that's holding me back on this one right now, but it's tempting...

The full Dirac is around £80, I just bought it as soon as the unit arrived. Agree it would have been nice for it to be included but on a 2.5k unit an extra £80 isn't breaking the bank.

Only mono subwoofer management is strange .I am going to hold of any purchase AVR wise untill next year , but the 778 nearly ticks all the boxes .

Only mono subwoofer management is strange .I am going to hold of any purchase AVR wise untill next year , but the 778 nearly ticks all the boxes .
From the leaked info of the new Anthem receivers (Official info will be out this weekend), the MRX1140 will have separate sub outputs, but it's also a more expensive receiver.
AF087367-54BD-4F6B-BFE5-E1D116CD1179.jpeg

Surprised to see a receiver (Anthem) launching in 2021 with hdmi 2.0b, however with the current Panasonic hdmi2.1 chipset issue facing Denon/Yamaha its maybe not a bad thing ...

Surprised to see a receiver (Anthem) launching in 2021 with hdmi 2.0b, however with the current Panasonic hdmi2.1 chipset issue facing Denon/Yamaha its maybe not a bad thing ...

On another image, there's a note regarding 2.1 8k (Upper left side), and something regarding an update, so everyone's best guess is that the Anthem HDMI board will have HDMI 2.1 capabilities that will be addressed by a near-future update.

29DEA8D9-F2E3-4CC7-B77C-F7AE19E5B17A.jpeg

Last edited:
That’s good, a bit like the Yamaha’s.

I may still come back to the T778 (after they will fix the pop issue).
Currently, I'm trying to figure out if the benefits of separates are really worth going that route.

Just to confirm in case it's unclear from the above that eARC works with this AVR. I connected my 4k Blu-ray player directly to the TV to test it, and it passed Dolby TrueHD to the AVR. Also, after the PS4 firmware update, it passed multichannel uncompressed LPCM to the AVR (I have the PS4 connected directly to the TV), whereas it had previously only passed stereo.

Just to confirm in case it's unclear from the above that eARC works with this AVR. I connected my 4k Blu-ray player directly to the TV to test it, and it passed Dolby TrueHD to the AVR. Also, after the PS4 firmware update, it passed multichannel uncompressed LPCM to the AVR (I have the PS4 connected directly to the TV), whereas it had previously only passed stereo.

Agree @RebulahConundrum - eArc working well.
I think it was the LG firmware update that sorted the LPCM issue, and it works a treat.

I may still come back to the T778 (after they will fix the pop issue).
Currently, I'm trying to figure out if the benefits of separates are really worth going that route.
Are the pop sounds bad for the speakers? I read on the NAD FB Group that the issue is now fixed with the latest production.

Thanks.

No. You plug all your 4k sources to the T778 inputs and the TV to the 4k outputs.

I may be mistaken but eARC doesn't work that way.
The eARC on the TV allows you to send lossless audio (Dolby Atmos/DTS-HD) from supported streaming apps (that are installed in your TV) through your eARC supported reciver (i.e T778) or a soundbar.

If you connect the ps5 to one of your HDMI 2.1 supported TV inputs, you will enjoy the benefits of higher bandwidth but then your receiver is out of the chain.

Hate to break it to you but none of the internal apps on an LG TV can send lossless audio (I learned this the hard way!)... eARC is only suitable for passing through lossless audio from a device connected to an HDMI port on the TV, passing that back to your receiver

Do the internal apps actually support lossless audio, I thought they only supported lossy (Atmos over Dolby digital plus), so still Atmos but not as good as lossless you will get from hdmi?
Either way, the Nad supports both.

Hate to break it to you but none of the internal apps on an LG TV can send lossless audio (I learned this the hard way!)... eARC is only suitable for passing through lossless audio from a device connected to an HDMI port on the TV, passing that back to your receiver
Yeah, I already correct lossless audio to Dolby Atmos.

Btw, there are remote apps for your phone/tablet. I use Nad OSD on iOS, allows me to turn the Nad on/off, adjust volume, source, Dirac slot, upmix and Av presets.
Use in conjunction with Bluos app to control streaming services including internet radio.
So while the touch screen is handy for settings, I don’t use it on a day to day basis, just admire the cover art from afar.

Regarding ARC, can you turn off your TV without the receiver also being turned off?
Can't do that with my current Onkyo receiver, so had to switch to toslink instead of HDMI.

Regarding ARC, can you turn off your TV without the receiver also being turned off?
Can't do that with my current Onkyo receiver, so had to switch to toslink instead of HDMI.

Yes you can turn HDMI CEC power off, but it also means you would have to manually power the AVR on.

Are the pop sounds bad for the speakers? I read on the NAD FB Group that the issue is now fixed with the latest production.

Thanks.

Could you post a link to that statement, please, as I am unable to find it for myself.

I received a brand new unit a few days ago which is still popping, despite it having the latest firmware update installed.

Could you post a link to that statement, please, as I am unable to find it for myself.

I received a brand new unit a few days ago which is still popping, despite it having the latest firmware update installed.
Here you go. It's from a NAD representative on the FB forum.
NAD1.jpg

Also, it's not a firmware issue, but a hardware one.
At least that's what this NAD representative says.

Here you go. It's from a NAD representative on the FB forum.View attachment 1404934
Also, it's not a firmware issue, but a hardware one.
At least that's what this NAD representative says.
Thanks for that, Bman. Does this mean that units that had the popping 'preinstalled' can't be fixed?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom