Question Naim Nait 5i Hum

Stringybob

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am new to this Forum and just after a bit of advice please. I have recently acquired a second hand Naim Nate 5i integrated amp to upgrade my old (and relatively cheap) Cambridge Audio amp. I use 3 inputs to the amp. The main one I use is my Pro-Ject Debut Carbon turntable through a Rega Fono Mini. For convenience I have a Chromecast Audio. I also have a cheap DAC converter to connect the Optical output from the TV. All of this worked fine with the Cambridge Audio amp into my cheap and cheerful Cambridge Audio Sirocco s30 speakers (which will be upgraded next).
The problem I have now is that the Chromecast is fine when it is connected i.e. the amp is silent with zero hum. However as soon as I connect either the Turntable or the DAC, I have a relatively loud hum on all of the channels.
Does this sound like a problem with the amp, or is it a problem with compatibility with the speakers? Any suggestions would be gratefully received as I am tearing my hair out!

Your not the only one who has had this issue on AVforums

and if you Google your subject it also pops up in multiple other forums

Hi Larkone - thanks for digging those out, very helpful. Having read through, the key points seems to be the following (quoted from a couple of those links):
"Naim amplifiers have a double earth system. In order to prevent hum, you need to put in a link wire from the source casing to the amplifier casing. This effected a 100% cure."

"Taking a length of wire from the chassis to the middle pin of an unused DIN socket silenced the nonsense. I have, for the last couple of months, been enjoying my music once again."

So just to be clear, I need to attached a wire (any wire?) to the middle pin of one of the DIN sockets (how would this attach?) and then attach it (solder?) to where exactly?

Thanks in advance and apologies for being a bit dense!

There is a very good community at naimaudio. it is worth asking the question there, you will get a much more focused reply to your problem. Worth checking there before any soldering.

Hi - thanks to those links that you kindly directed me to and some guidance over on the Naim forum I have sorted this now. I connected a wire from the earth junction on the phono amp box to the mains earth. I dont want to even try to understand how or why this works, I can only assume it is some sort of magic, but thanks very much for your input, it is very much appreciated!

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom