Question NAS for Plex advice

Cheers for that, so it looks like I should be good over wifi will do some testing using different setups and see what works best.

I have just noticed that if I use the built in Android TV on the bedroom PJ it doesn’t allow a 4k input, I can only get that through HDMI, which means I will probably keep both shields now lol.

Having tried loads of different options for wifi mesh in recent years, the best I've found (by far) is the Eero. It's more expensive than most wifi mesh options but in the 2 years I've had it I've never had to worry or think about my wifi once.

What I found works particularly excellently for a situation described above is if you buy an extra Eero to put with your key device (such as a streamer) and then connect the eero to the key device via a network cable, you get unbelievably high speeds. I was getting virtually my max 250Mb download speed on my PC when I did this (which was on a different floor of the house to the main router).

Eero was bought by Amazon last year so you can pick up a pack of 3 from theri website at 250 quid. Might be worth "trying before you buy" from Amazon for a couple weeks to see if there's a dramatic difference. Plus as an added bonus, it clears up any wifi deadspots in your house!

Having tried loads of different options for wifi mesh in recent years, the best I've found (by far) is the Eero. It's more expensive than most wifi mesh options but in the 2 years I've had it I've never had to worry or think about my wifi once.

What I found works particularly excellently for a situation described above is if you buy an extra Eero to put with your key device (such as a streamer) and then connect the eero to the key device via a network cable, you get unbelievably high speeds. I was getting virtually my max 250Mb download speed on my PC when I did this (which was on a different floor of the house to the main router).

Eero was bought by Amazon last year so you can pick up a pack of 3 from theri website at 250 quid. Might be worth "trying before you buy" from Amazon for a couple weeks to see if there's a dramatic difference. Plus as an added bonus, it clears up any wifi deadspots in your house!

cheers mate il look into that. I just got an email from ebuyer to say they have sent out a replacement for the devolo magic 2 I returned, so il give them another go, I thought I’d asked for a refund but they sent a replacement anyway, so I might as well try again.

if I get the same results l try and get a refund and try the eero.

Well after trying several different setups, servers and means of wiring, I think I’m going to go back to using the Shield Pro with a 10TB external USB storage as my server.

As @Sloppy Bob suggested I’m struggling to play 4k hdr movies over wireless. I set up the replacement Devolo Magic 2, after some tinkering I managed to get 1000Mbps on all devices (Devolo LAN plugged direct to router 20/25m run of Cat 6 - Devolo wifi plugged into same ring main with Cat 6 plugged into Shield Pro) I still got buffering/pauses during playback.

So i went back to plugging the external USB drive in and it plays no problem at all. I dont think I will bother with the Euro either as I have already spent over a grand trying to improve my Plex setup and the thing that works best cost under £400, I dont have any other issues with wifi so the Euro would be purely for improving my Plex setup and I just dont think it makes sense at the moment. When I finally move il look at hard wiring everything and revisit the NAS setup then.

Cheers for all the help and advice guys.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom