Question Neat vs Proac vs ?

Crock56

Standard Member
Reaction score
I recently heard a pair of Neat speakers, the little floorstanders and was very very impressed. The Dealer unfortunately didn't have in the Xplorer as i would probably walked out with a pair.
This dealer is unfortunately ~ 4 hours drive south of where I live, Highlands of Scotland. My local dealer sells Proac which I've always liked and wished to own ever since i heard a pair many moons ago. The Proac need a fair bit of space away from the wall which is impracticable in my living/listening room.
Has anyone else heard these two very different speakers and had any opinions of the two ?
The Guy in Glasgow also set up a pair of Dali ( I think ) floorstanders which I found a little intimidating and incidentally he put about a foot away from the back wall.
I listen to mainly classical but also trad jazz, rock and anything really that is good quality music.

What's your budget My small floorstanding speakers are only 9" from the rear wall without issues in my living room.

My budget, around £3-4K. Old Quad 34/303 amp and Roskan turntable plus other bits that need updating or replacing.

You can look at the Proac Tab 10 Sig’s which can be placed close to the wall since they are a sealed box. Also Proac Studio SM100 with front bass port can work quite close to the wall, let say about 25-30cm.

Last edited:
Many of the current Proac models are bottom or front ported. You can sometimes get away with these models being closer to walls than you can with some of the older rear ported models. Proacs have long had the reputation of needing plenty of space, but it's not always the case.

You must try and and listen to A pair of Klipsch Forte III’s. Just within budget.

My budget, around £3-4K. Old Quad 34/303 amp and Roskan turntable plus other bits that need updating or replacing.
OK, I was going to suggest totem tribe towers but that would blow the budget just on those. They're so room friendly and very slim.
If you want a good integrated amp Google the Lejonklou boazu, you might even get one for £1250 second hand if you're lucky, (a£2500 new) and you'd need a phono stage too but Lejonklou stages are probably the best you can buy for the money. You can find good used examples of those for a couple of hundred or buy a new one for around £600. Check out the for sale section on the Lejonklou forum. Some of the equipment was reviewed in hifi plus I think it was and the reviewer was highly impressed giving it a highly recommended award.

Did you take your quads to listen to the Neats?

I’d be surprised if they have the welly to get the best from them.

A more modern preamp and a 606, say, that would do the job :smashin:

I've not listened with my quad as it was a I'm in Glasgow so I'll pop in and listen visit.

I was asking because the 303 is not of the current dumping variety of Quad and Neat speakers are not shy when requiring current.

The 306, 405, 606, 707 and 909s are current dumping with the latter three having the power to drive just about anything.

I have been banging on about the Dutch & Dutch 8c
Complete system that sounds simply astonishing once dialed in

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom