Need a tv with built in freesat not freeview

matts360

Standard Member
Reaction score
New kitchen being done, nice.
Require a freesat tv with the tuner built in, that has good Internet connectivity, and good speakers. Must have iplayer access and not bothered About being able to record stuff.

32-40" size, slim and good refresh rate for fast actin smoothness. Doing my head in as it seems on panasonic do this, but their viera cast seems worthless... Any help most appreciated....

Matt

Panasonic are the only manufacturers at present although Sony may join them soon. LG did do a freesat TV but have now dropped out of the market.

Freesat on a Europe wide (and world-wide) basis is such a limited market that very few manufacturers are interested in producing a set that not only receives satellite TV but also conforms to the freesat specifications (with its capabilities and licensing requirements etc limited to use in the UK only).

The place to check on this is the Freesat site and it confirms that only Pana have shown any interest in Freesat: freesat HD TV - freesat.

32-40" size, slim and good refresh rate for fast actin smoothness. Doing my head in as it seems on panasonic do this, but their viera cast seems worthless... Any help most appreciated....

Matt

Viera Cast is being replaced with Viera Connect for the 2011 models. If these kind of online services are important to you I would look at hiding a netbook or slimline PC into a kitchen unit. That way you'll be free to use whatever services you wish and won't be dependant on the TV manufacturer to provide (and keep providing...) them. Or wait and get a YouView STB in future.

Cheers kev

Looking at the latest Panasonics now, the 37 3D led tv looks quite good actually, with freesat internally. Will let you know how we get on...

Matt

It does look good. :thumbsup:
It's odd though that it's not listed as an official Freesat TV - the site only shows 3D in models from 42" up.

It does look good. :thumbsup:
It's odd though that it's not listed as an official Freesat TV - the site only shows 3D in models from 42" up.

It doesn't look as though it is a freesat TV as its spec says (no mention of either freesat or Freeview EPG support)
EPG (Now and Next) yes
EPG for DVB-T (7days) Gemstar EPG: UK, Italy, Germany, Spain
From this page
http://www.panasonic.co.uk/html/en_...ecification/7098162/index.html?trackInfo=true

If that spec is correct then the TV is falsely advertised as both a freesat HD and Freeview HD TV with only "now and next" and Gemstar DTT EPG support although appearing to be capable of tuning the channels of both services.

Last edited:
Huh?
The downloaded PDF shows freeway connector and full install instructions, so my guess is that it is freesat

Huh?
The downloaded PDF shows freeway connector and full install instructions, so my guess is that it is freesat

What is a "freeway connector"?

I cannot download the manuals from Panasonic's website for some reason. Does the manual actually mention the freesat and Freeview EPGs (Electronic Programme Guide)? The specifications page I linked to states clearly under EPGs firstly only "Now and next" and then under DTT it states Gemstar. "Now and next" is a form of EPG broadcast on satellite under DVB-S specification and is receivable on virtually any satellite tuner - however it is NOT the freesat full 7 day EPG that is required legally for a tuner to carry the "freesat" logo and branding. Also Gemstar is a proprietary EPG service also known as "Guide+" available for many European countries and downloadable from the teletext pages of several terrestrial and satellite channels for different countries across Europe but it is not the official Freeview EPG.

From this it would appear very unlikely that unless that specifications page is way out of date that this TV is a generic one made for the European market and not specifically for the UK market and thus not able to receive all of freesat's features including the EPG and iPlayer although it would be capable of viewing all the freesat and Freeview channels.

Freesat is a specific specification for satellite receivers/TVs that this set does not appear to meet in several ways and as such (unless that specification page is wrong) should NOT be carrying the freesat branding/naming. What it would appear to be is a Free To Air satellite and terrestrial TV receiver.

If you really want a full spec freesat TV then I would suggest emailing Panasonic for them to confirm or deny the above features or lack of them.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Should have guessed.:D So what does the "connector" bit mean?

F-type sat cable adaptor input ?

See extract from manual

Matt

Attachments

• image-380351965.png
    image-380351965.png
    126.5 KB · Views: 224
The page that I linked to also says "a one off installation payment for Freesat HD services" which is nonsense, and therefore increases my doubts about it.:D
The AVF review confirms dm2's note when it says: "The EPG is provided by Gemstar".

Last edited:
The Gemstar EPG is Freeview - not Freesat. The Panasonic TV in question has the usual Viera Gemstar EPG for Freeview and the Freesat one for Freesat.

It's also got the facility for receiving other satellites as well as Freesat - just like my G20.

Cheers,

Ray D

dm2 pointed out that "Gemstar....is not the official Freeview EPG" and I assume that the same would apply to this TV's satellite EPG.
They don't claim that it "conforms to the freesat specifications (with its capabilities and licensing requirements etc)" (again dm2).

Last edited:
The Gemstar EPG is Freeview - not Freesat. The Panasonic TV in question has the usual Viera Gemstar EPG for Freeview and the Freesat one for Freesat.

It's also got the facility for receiving other satellites as well as Freesat - just like my G20.

Cheers,

Ray D
Does it support iPlayer and other "red button" freesat applications? If not then it is NOT allowed to use the freesat logo or name.

If it does have the freesat EPG why does it not mention this under the specifications on that page and merely states "now and next"?

This TV appears to be a generic European spec TV and NOT a UK specific freesat TV. All other Panasonic models have specific models for the UK and other versions for the rest of Europe which is what makes me very suspicious of this one being freesat compatible.

I suspect the advert itself is generic. I presume the reference to now and next is either just to mention that they all have it, whether or not you are using it in a freesat country.

I did download the UK manual, just to have a look, and it is exactly the same as my G20 as far as satellite and freeview TV is concerned. Mine has iPlayer, so I presume the new one does as well under the red button.

Cheers,

Ray D

Ray

Are you generally happy with the panny and how do you use it? Ie kitchen, main telly, games...? And do you use iplayer much, if so, easy to work with?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Does it support iPlayer and other "red button" freesat applications? If not then it is NOT allowed to use the freesat logo or name.

If it does have the freesat EPG why does it not mention this under the specifications on that page and merely states "now and next"?

This TV appears to be a generic European spec TV and NOT a UK specific freesat TV. All other Panasonic models have specific models for the UK and other versions for the rest of Europe which is what makes me very suspicious of this one being freesat compatible.

The manual specifies Freesat as being a UK only model, it shows the EPG having more than now/next and also mentions Freesat interactive services. The web page may just be inaccurate... mistakes happen!

Ray

Are you generally happy with the panny and how do you use it? Ie kitchen, main telly, games...? And do you use iplayer much, if so, easy to work with?

Thanks in advance

Matt

Hi Matt - yes, I am very happy with the Panasonic and usually view it with Freesat selected. It's my main TV in the living room. I have the Foxsat-HDR and other boxes connected via HDMI inputs.

I usually watch the HD versions of BBC1 and ITV on the Freesat setting and have the Panasonic optical sound out fed to my home cinema (which happens to be Panasonic as well). This way I get the benefit of Dolby surround when it's transmitted. Dolby doesn't work off Freeview as the BBC turn it into a different flavour of surround which most receivers don't recognise or decode.

I don't use iPlayer a lot but, when I do, it usually plays without problem. This is via the freesat red button. It has bombed out on me a couple of times, but probably due to the netwok rather than the TV.

Cheers,

Ray D

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom