Need ceiling speakers for Back channels and mid (Atmos)

NullMind

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am doing a new cinema room, it's about 5.23 x 3.65 meters

for the front speakers I am using Q Accoustics 3050's, but for the back, I need IN ceiling speakers, also planning to use the same to put in the middle between the front and the back

I cant put speakers mounted on the back as I have glass display cases behind the couch, so they have to be in the ceiling

Any advise on what can I use ?

Carlos

Attachments

• cinema.jpg
    cinema.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 31
If you have any of the base speakers, the 5.1, in the ceiling then Atmos is going to be highly compromised. There has to be a separation of the base layer and the Atmos layer. The way that ceiling speakers disperse the sound you will not be able to differentiate between the Atmos layer and surrounds.

I would say your best option would be to add either a pair of Kef T-101's or Monitor Audio Soundframe SF3 on the side walls where the settee is situated. Then you could use a full 5.1.4 solution in the room and enjoy Atmos correctly. If you don't it will be hard to work with Atmos as placing a speaker inside another box (say within the cabinet) is not ideal and as @gibbsy has mentioned, the two areas which create the effect for Atmos will be blended into one even if you mounted front heights thus spoiling the overall effect

If you have any of the base speakers, the 5.1, in the ceiling then Atmos is going to be highly compromised. There has to be a separation of the base layer and the Atmos layer. The way that ceiling speakers disperse the sound you will not be able to differentiate between the Atmos layer and surrounds.

I agree, last night we decided to redo the back cabinet and will place 2 x 3020's and just use ceiling speakers for Atmos

Now just need to decide if to put the 3020's at the bottom shelf (85 Cm from floor to middle of speaker) or above shelve (133 cm from floor to middle of speaker) :)

Now for ceiling speakers for Atmos, for a room this size, should I go with 2 or 4 speakers ?

Appreciate any guidance :)

Attachments

• atmos.jpg
    atmos.jpg
    162.4 KB · Views: 30
It all depends on your seating position. I would have a study of the link below. 5.1.4 is always going to sound better unless it is too close together. Don't dwell too much on the angles as those diagrams are for the perfect room.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom