Need help choosing new ceiling speakers

av115

Novice Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

Last night I managed to blow the tweeters in all 4 of my ceiling speakers. I was listening to music through a laptop connected to the amp via a phono to 3.5mm jack cable, and as I moved the laptop the cable came out of it slightly. The amp was running at high volume and produced a deafening high pitched tone when this happened. I immediately reached over to turn the amp right down before pushing the cable back in but it was too late.

I have removed one of the speakers and the model is Soundcraft IN6-100. They are 6.5" speakers, the ceiling cutout is 210mm wide and the depth is 170mm give or take a couple mm. From my research I can see they are not decent speakers but not total POS either. They sounded okay-ish with amp supplying 100w RMS per channel (or so claimed) combined with a 10 inch sub and could be ran quite loud. Power is more important than quality for this setup.

I need to get something of the same spec or maybe something better, for as little money as possible as I don't have a lot of it currently and didn't plan on replacing the speakers. The problem I've got is I'm finding it difficult to find speakers that match the specs in terms of power output and frequency response or require the same cutout size. Could I get away with a slightly smaller speaker or does it need to match the hole size perfectly? What is the tolerance? I have no idea what I'm doing.

The room is an attic room and measures 23ft by 13ft. The ceiling is 8.5ft at its highest point in the middle of the room where it becomes flat. This flat section is 6ft wide at which point the ceiling slopes down either side. Sorry for the confusing measurements, definitely not my strong point.

Any advice would be gratefully appreciated and apologies for the draw out post.

Thanks
Andrew

Last edited:
Hi Andrew,

If you give me a call tomorrow then I may be able to recommend some options.

We supply Origin Acoustics, Sonance, Definitive Technology, MK, Tru Audio, KEF, Kinetic, Paradigm, Procella, dARTS, Revel and Beale Street Audio in ceiling loudspeakers.

Best regards

Rich@SeriouslyCinema

Last edited:
Hi Andrew

What are the specifications of the speakers you have? These won’t really tell you what the speaker will actually sound like, but will put your mind at ease with regards to matching what you had.

Regards
David

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom