Need help finding a 3.5mm to 6.35mm jack adapter 😂

OfLoveAndLiquor

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hey,

I would appreciate help to locate a product on Thomann - Welcome Home!, for some reason I'm unable to find what I need:

I'm looking for a 3.5 mm to 6.35 mm jack adapter to plug a ModMic Uni microphone into a MOTU M2 audio interface. I've got such adapters for headphones/speakers but those won't work for microphones.

Can someone help me?

Cheers,
Franz

Unfortunately your link just goes to their home page. Presumably this is just a mono 3.5mm to mono 6.35mm?

Yes, that was intentional :)

Let me rephrase my question since it appears I wasn't clear:

What do I need to purchase to connect my ModMic Uni (3.5 mm jack) to my MOTU M2 interface (6.35 mm jack input)? Can I find that elusive item on thomann.de since I have an account there and it would be convenient for me to buy from them? Amazon would be fine too if the item's quality is guaranteed.

Thanks!

— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
— As an Amazon Associate, AVForums earns from qualifying purchases —
Thanks Matt!

Could you briefly explain what are the differences between the item you linked (which appears to be for both headphones and microphones, based on the title) and this one which I ordered by mistake last week (which appears to be only for headphones):

According to the folks at Thomann, "The CC100 adaptor is made for specific Sennheiser wireless systems and might not work with the ModMic."

They advise this instead: Rode VXLR+

Go with their recommendation. The only difference is the screw connection, but it's possible this would stop the jack fully inserting.

Thanks Matt!

Could you briefly explain what are the differences between the item you linked (which appears to be for both headphones and microphones, based on the title) and this one which I ordered by mistake last week (which appears to be only for headphones):

Simple answer is single ring (the black ring you can see on the shaft) is mono, double ring is stereo
There's no such thing as "headphone only". It's a standardised connector the doesn't discriminate between applications (only if it's stereo, mono, or if it's three-rings has a control function on it too)

But as noiseboy72 said, it's unlikely your interface will give phantom power, so your mic won't work with it (using either adapter I linked to) without and additional power source

Let's not confuse Phantom Power with Plug in Power. Phantom power is a 12v-48v low current, DC power signal that is superimposed on the balanced input to the microphone. As such, it is cancelled out by the differential stages without any filtering - hence the name Phantom! If a microphone does not require phantom power, it will happily ignore the signal as if it wasn't there. It is only really found on XLR mic connections.

Plug in power is 1.5V - 5V low current DC power that is applied to the signal line of an unbalanced mic connection and needs to be filtered out so that it does not interfere with the signal. If is commonly used on radio mics and consumer camcorders, laptops and phones etc. as it is easy to implement and does not complicate the wiring. There are a few different standards out there, including mini XLR, mini jack, Lemo, etc. and some manufacturers use different wiring standards, with the ring rather than the tip used as the power connection.

This means that just because a mic has a "stereo" (Tip, Ring, Sleeve) 3.5mm connection, it may still be mono, but the power is being supplied via the ring rather than the tip of the connection.

Stereo mics are normally more bulky as they have 2 capsules and are of limited value for recording 1 person speaking. Just to confuse things further, noise cancelling mics might have 2 capsules connected together to provide the noise cancelling effect, have a (Stereo) TRS connection but will of course still be mono. It might even be that the mic outputs are brought out on separate lines to facilitate processing in the main unit, but I have only ever seen this with some hands free phone kits for vehicles.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom