Need speakers suggestion for apartment

klaxhu

Prominent Member
Reaction score
Hi all!

I would need a recommendation for changing my speakers, I am currently on the following setup:
Speakers: Monitor Audio Silver 8, Amp: Yamaha RN-602, Record player: Pro-ject Debut Carbon Esprit SB
I also use Spotify but also play vinyl occasionally. I have a separate setup with an LG OLED + Harman Kardon soundbar.

Currently, I live in a house, but I am moving to a flat for which I think these speakers will be overkill. I want to go more compact if possible. I was thinking to build one AV "system".
Does it make sense to drop the soundbar, take the TV, AMP and Record player with me and add a pair of smaller non-floor stand speakers which I can also use for better sound with the TV through the AMP? Or should I stick with the soundbar and just buy a pair of smaller speakers for my music setup. Any recommendation in 1-2k range for brand-new per pair that would make sense with my setup?

Last edited:
That's a difficult question to answer. An all in one system is going to save you space if you go for a receiver. Even a modest 2.1 set up will probably sound better than a soundbar. However if music is important then I would not play that through an entry to mid level receiver, they are simply not up to the job and in this case you have very well be better off with a soundbar for the TV and a good stereo amp and speaker combination for music.

Thanks!
I think I will stick with TV+Soundbar and keep my amp+record player and get myself a new pair of bookshelves.

After some browsing, I saw the B&W and Monitor Audio Golds. Hopefully Rocher Sounds will open soon so I can have a listen. What do people think?

Last edited:
Last edited:
It would be a wise decision to audition those speakers. Some speakers will perform better than others when placed close to a wall so make sure that the audition is made aware of this. As for putting them on a shelf then that's not the greatest position for them as it gives a very restricted trial and error over where they go. If they have to there make sure the shelf is very sturdy and get good isolation for them to sit on. I have my fronts all on a heavy duty cabinet with isolation feet under them.

You've picked out some excellent speakers yet the best ones for a shelf would be the cheapest the B&Ws. The Revels and the Dalis need to be on stands such is their quality. You should certainly have some fun auditioning them. Let us know how you get on. Whenever you can.:)

:D thank you, will do and report back here ...whenever RS will be open

Ranking so far from reading:

1/ Revel Concerta2 M16
2/ Monitor Audio Gold 100 (Piano Gloss Black)
3/ DALI RUBICON 2 (Gloss Black)
4/ Bowers & Wilkins 606 (White)

What I am not sure of is the pairing with my Amp: I don't want to over do it and get some speakers that I won't get the full benefit from because my amp being the bottleneck and vice-versa (including the limits of the record player).

In terms of setup/positioning - can I put these on actual bookshelves and get a good sound?

Perhaps something smaller like B&W 607/707 - MA Silver 50 / MA Bronze 50 (coming June) could work on bookshelf when brought at the front edge of it and used with some isolation pads. I seriously doubt you would like the 606 on closed back bookshelf. They are not small speakers with stronger bass response.
Then you need to consider is any of the shelf at correct height for the speaker to have the tweeter around seated ear height as depending of model there can be noticeable difference if you sit too low/high. And also can you move them horizontal plane for optimal place creating equilateral triangle with listener, if possible in your room.

Those models 1-3 would be waste of money placed on bookshelf and with your 300£ stereo receiver they would be wrong choice.

Really shame if you can´t keep those Silver 8s as they are good speakers. If you were to consider speaker stands for models 1-3 then you quickly notice that they will actually take the same floorspace as Silver 8s.

Currently, I live in a house, but I am moving to a flat

Who is to blame for this madness? :D I hope it´s not too late to change your mind. ;)

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense @Gasp3621. It is exactly what I was suspecting on both points around pairing with my modest receiver and setup ie where the speakers will potentially go.

I do not even know the setup yet as I haven't even had a confirmation on the flat.
I blame myself for the madness LOL, in the city where we are going it is unrealistic to think we can get a house as they are rare on the rental market in the specific we are looking.

That doesn't mean my music listening will have to suffer =)
I will have a look at the 607/707 as well.

If it helps, I got a couple of the Momitor Audio Apex A10 speakers second hand and they were beautiful with music, but you have to use a sub with them. That was on a Yamaha 602 also. I had to go even smaller for the room so replaced with a Denon CEOL N10 and they still sounded fantastic with that, including with vinyl.

Theyre not by any stretch of the imagination the cheapest bookshelves, but they will absolutely blend into almost any space no matter how small. And I think open box ones with full warranty go for around £200 per speaker. They ooze quality also, and will form a superb part of a full AV system if you ever move up to that.

PS I also moved from soundbar to a decent stereo amp for general TV use in the lounge, so got a Denon DRA800. Got Radius 225 speakers with it, and due to the spread between the speakers you great great sound separation. I don’t remotely miss the 5.1 element as it was always quite awkward to fit the rear speakers in the room, and dialogue is incredibly well realised between the two speakers even without a centre.

Thanks Graham. That will mean I will have to change my received to an AV one, not sure about that just now. I will explore going to a 2 smaller speaker setup and staying on a soundbar for the TV.

Hello all!
I want to thank you for your thorough recommendations!
Some good news: the flat that I've signed a lease for is on the ground floor with a garden and I will also have a lorry just for family to send all our stuff in one go - all of this means that I AM KEEPING the speakers and my current setup and could not be happier about it.

I've also put on Soft Error - Mechanism yesterday and it just sounded amazing, so that was another argument against keeping them ...

Thanks again to everyone.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom