Question Netflix 4k not working on new Fire TV stick but Prime works perfectly

flashp

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a bit of an odd problem here - I have a Fire TV stick plugged in to a correctly configured enhanced HDMI port on my receiver (Prime is showing 4k content perfectly) but the Netflix app won't show 4k content although I have the correct package with Netflix after upgrading this evening. Do they take a while to update your service level (can't think that they should) or does the FTV stick not play nicely with the Netflix app?

Try logging out of the Netflix app. then logging in again. Perhaps your account profile hasn’t been updated on the stick. You could also try a factory reset of the stick. Failing that, talk to Netflix.

Clem

OK, here it is. Response from Netflix. It's a long read, in summary Netflix doesn't support displaying through a projector.

Netflix
Hi ASHLEY,
Thank you for contacting Netflix customer support.
Here is the transcript from your recent chat.
You
4K service doesn't run on FireTV stick
You
Can I stream Netflix in Ultra HD?~~Can I stream Netflix in Ultra HD?
Paul Netflix
Hi there ! you have reached Netflix customer support my name is Paul. I have went through your concern but before that can you please provide your name and registered email ID with Netflix for me to be able to locate the account ?
Paul Netflix
Please do not click/tap the "Back" button and respond in a timely manner to avoid auto disconnection of this chat. Could you pleas help me with your Email address.
You
Paul Netflix
Are you using a 4 k television?
You
No, I have a 4k projector connected to an enhanced port on an AV receiver. Amazons own Prime service runs fun but Netflix is stuck at 1080
Paul Netflix
Click Here to learn more
You
I've read all of that already, there's nothing there that's useful to me
Paul Netflix
Could you help me with the internet connection speed?
You
32mB
You
Netflix won't initiate a resolution change to 2160
You
speed should have read 32Mbps
Paul Netflix
Make sure that the playback setting is kept on high
You
Just checked, it is
Paul Netflix
A 60Hz TV or computer monitor compatible with Ultra HD streaming from Netflix.
You
The projector meets/exceeds those specifications
Paul Netflix
As mentioned it should be a tv or a computer screen
You
Optoma UHD 51 supports 2160p at 60hz
Paul Netflix
I understand sir but the device has to be on aTV screen not a projector for the UHD content to play
You
How does Amazon's own service work then? After researching I did not find that Netflix publish that fact, in fact, it's advertised that Netflix runs via a Fire TV
You
OK, lets suppose I have a TV. Talk me through the next steps
Paul Netflix
If the TV is A 60Hz TV it will support UHD content .
You
Well it doesn't work so where do we look now?
Paul Netflix
Could you help me with the TV model ?
You
As I said, lets suppose I have TV, talk me through what I should be doing. I have one 4k service working fine on this hardware and Netflix doesn't despite being advertised as being able to be accessed via a Fire Tv stick
Paul Netflix
You wil have to contact device manufacturer to confirm the device is set up correctly to display 4K while streaming
You
Well it is, their own service is working perfectly
Paul Netflix
You will have to confirm this with the TV manufacturer
You
Do you reasonably think Amazon are going to provide tech support for a third party app while their own service is working correctly? Your software engineers have missed something to enable resolution changing and hardware detection
Paul Netflix
Sir please understand UHD content will not play on a projector
You
I've already said, Optoma publish the resolution capability in the manual and I've confirmed correct operation by telling you that the Amazon service is working correctly and instructs the projector to change resolution
You
It does, just not from your service it seems
Paul Netflix
IF the TV does not play the UHD content kindly contact the device manufacturer
You
The tv does
Paul Netflix
Netflix does not support UHD content on a projector
You
Where is that published?
Paul Netflix
KIndly read the help article sir
Paul Netflix
Click Here
Paul Netflix
The device has to be a computer monitor or TV
You
This is widely experienced problem and has been for some time, Google it. Why are Netflix not about to change service capability? It doesn't exclude projectors but since these are a minority viewing device it might assumed reasonable not to have mentioned it.
Paul Netflix
Unfortunately Netflix does not support UHD content on a projector
Paul Netflix
KIndly use an alternate device to stream UHD content .
You
I'm certainly not going to buy a new television just to do this after investing a considerable sum on a projector and screen. What is clear is Netflix on a projector could be done, you as a company see no value in engineering that capability in.
You
There's not much more to say really is there, thanks for your time.
Paul Netflix
I understand that you are frustrated , we can take that as a feedback ,kindly use an alternate device to stream UHD content .
Paul Netflix
Is there anything else I can help you with today?
You
no, thanks

Try logging out of the Netflix app. then logging in again. Perhaps your account profile hasn’t been updated on the stick. You could also try a factory reset of the stick. Failing that, talk to Netflix.

Clem
Thanks for your reply. Tried that, no change.

I did wonder whether there's another device available that can do this as I'm convinced the Netflix app hasn't been designed to run at 4k on the Fire TV stick. It's very good at 1080 on Fire TV however.
Maybe a Blu-ray player with an app built in or Roku Ultra maybe??

Last edited:
I can't help you with the Fire Stick issue but I can confirm that netflix plays in 4k on my projector from an ATV so it's clearly cobblers what they are saying that Netflix only works on computers or TVs

I can't help you with the Fire Stick issue but I can confirm that netflix plays in 4k on my projector from an ATV so it's clearly cobblers what they are saying that Netflix only works on computers or TVs
I did suspect it might be. What's an ATV?

ATV = Apple TV.
I have the old Fire 4K brick, Netflix in 4K works fine through my TV. Do not believe for one minute why a projector should not work in 4K.

ATV = Apple TV.
I have the old Fire 4K brick, Netflix in 4K works fine through my TV. Do not believe for one minute why a projector should not work in 4K.
Apple TV - thanks for that.
I think it's poor software integration and they basically can't/won't allocate any engineering time for a minority viewing platform such as a projector.

You could also try restarting your Fire TV stick, either pull the power or restart in the settings.

4K is easy on Prime. just tab along to your videos, movies or TV shows and 4K is filtered out for you.

Is anyone getting atmos from firestick 4K when playing Netflix?

I have the same issue. No 4k output for Netflix or Disney from fire stick 4K, but Prime does output 4K.
I’m not sure if I’m getting the HDR from Netflix and disney, or if it registers it as HDR because I have the fire stick settings configured that way.
Frustrating! Annoying this wasn’t mentioned in reviews of the fire stick.

I have checked on other sites and this is an hdcp 2.2 issue. Unless everything in the HDMI chain is compliant Netflix (and presumably Disney) will not display 4K. My issue is the processor output is only hdcp 2.0. I suspect either your PJ or AV receiver are the same.

According to an Amazon forum, the problem may be down to to TVs not being able to play DV content at 50 or 60hz. If the fire stick signal is rejected then the stick prioritises resolution and drops it to 1080. For me, using a 2016 LG TV, and with the Stick set
to auto resolution, only Amazon displays in 4k, but uses HDR, not DV. Disney and Netflix both play in DV, but at 1080p. It's possible to change this by setting the Stick to always output 4k, but this will result in Netflix and Disney playing HDR, though it will be 4k.

Swings and roundabouts, as ever, it's a compromise. If Amazon updated the Stick to support DV at 30hz that would solve the issue apparently.

Quick edit, just occurred to me that YouTube also only plays at 1080p but that always uses HDR, so maybe there's more to this? Why does Amazon play in 4k HDR but YouTube maxes out at 1080p with HDR?
But irritated, I thought id found the perfect streaming stick, but not so sure now. I might just force it I to 2160 resolution and go with HDR instead of DV.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom