Netflix accused of tax avoidance

D

Deleted member 765458

" Netflix is facing accusations of funnelling as much as £330 million (€385m) in profits made from operations outside the US into offshore tax havens, while receiving relief for making shows such as Black Mirror and The Crown in the UK.

Figures from the Taxwatch thinktank estimate that in 2018 the streaming giant moved between $327 million and $430 million in profits from international operations outside the US, including the UK, to low-tax jurisdictions such as the Netherlands. "

Meanwhile dave and romanski lay down a few pavers on a weekend for hundred quid between em and someone reports them to the IR and it all goes Pete tong for them. These big companies are a disgrace.

What? A multi billion dollar international company is trying to avoid tax! I'm shocked!

When it comes to big multi-nationals in any industry, it's surely an open secret that they engage in some form of tax avoidance around the world.

Given the levels of revenue and profit, if they weren't 'creative' with accounting then they'd be doing their shareholders a disservice.

The only difference is:
- are their tax avoidance methods legal in the relevant jurisdiction(s); and
- if not, how much are the tax authorities willing to turn a blind eye.

'Tax avoidance', is, by definition, entirely legal. It is the same as myself opening an ISA to save paying more tax than I need to. It is 'tax evasion' that is illegal. The headline of this post - i.e. a company is being 'accused' by a protest group of apparently doing something that's they're legally entitled to do, doesn't make much sense and is meaningless.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom