Netflix Atmos Issues and Problems.

Thanks for the replies.... yeah I do believe it is a bandwidth issue as well BUT this should be able to be rectified as it doesn’t happen with any other DA soundtrack on other apps (prime, Apple movies) so someone should be able to sort it out 🙏

It did it tonight through ATV (whereas previously it was through the TV internal app). Audio all over the place.
Tonight's viewing was I am not OK with this. An ironic title if ever there was one...

It did it tonight through ATV (whereas previously it was through the TV internal app). Audio all over the place.
Tonight's viewing was I am not OK with this. An ironic title if ever there was one...
Tbh that is the first I have heard of it happening on a non ATV product....my main issue is that if it does not happen with any other service then Netflix should be able to sort it out!

It would appear they somewhat fixed it, I switched back form 5.1 to Atmos a week ago and I didn't have any issues while watching The Old Guard
That sounds (excuse the pun!) good! Will check it over the next couple of days and report back!!!

Found this thread via Reddit for same issue.
I am using ATV4K -> Denon X4400H -> Optoma UHZ65.

I thought I was going nuts until realized it’s a Netflix app issue on the ATV. Specifically for me it’s while viewing “Our Planet”.

FWIW, I went to Netflix.com and changed the streaming settings from auto to high for my profile and it eliminated about 80-90% of the instances of audio jumping from center to random rear channel. Not perfect, but far better than before. This setting change is specific to each Netflix profile so keep that in mind.

I have The same issue on my Apple TV 4K with Netflix. Audio cuts in and out on my Marantz receiver I can watch it On the display. You know how I fix It I use My Xbox 4k and it works perfectly. Has to be an Apple TV or Netflix bug. I called And reported it to Apple they escalated me to high end tech support and they have never fixed it.

I’ve experienced similar “audio-jumping” issues to the ones described in this thread. Just to be clear, it only happens during Netflix ATMOS playback on the Apple TV 4K. Speakers are configured at 7.2.4 using a Denon AVR-X8500H; video is output to Samsung QLED UHD Smart television. The Netflix app on my Samsung Smart TV flawlessly streams ATMOS via HDMI audio return channel (ARC). This narrows the field of suspects to either (1) the Apple TV 4K Netflix app or (2) the Apple TV 4K itself. However, all other ATMOS-capable apps loaded to my Apple TV 4K (Prime Video, DisneyPlus, and iTunes) stream ATMOS-encoded programming without issue. This points to the Apple TV 4K version of Netflix as the culprit during ATMOS playback.

Last edited:
Just an update - I switched from auto to high quality streaming (can only be done online NOT via app!) and I watched 6 underground & Tiger King (2 culprits where I experienced the jumping) and it did happen at the beginning of each stream but it did teeter out after a few mins.... this to me kinda confirms that it is the Netflix app constantly readjusting the bit rate due to internet fluctuations & keeping it at high is a workaround.... HOWEVER this is not good enough. If it can work flawlessly on a TV app then it should work perfectly on a DEDICATED streamer!!!!

Just an update - I switched from auto to high quality streaming (can only be done online NOT via app!) and I watched 6 underground & Tiger King (2 culprits where I experienced the jumping) and it did happen at the beginning of each stream but it did teeter out after a few mins.... this to me kinda confirms that it is the Netflix app constantly readjusting the bit rate due to internet fluctuations & keeping it at high is a workaround.... HOWEVER this is not good enough. If it can work flawlessly on a TV app then it should work perfectly on a DEDICATED streamer!!!!

Yes, last thing I watched with Atmos it did exactly that: sound issues for the first 30 to 45 seconds, then it was fine

Thankfully I found this forum and this thread! Was about to throw my whole AV setup in the bin after the past couple of days!!

About a week ago, I decided to upgrade our home entertainment systems with Dolby Atmos and got a LG SL8Y soundbar with the rear speaker set as well, upgraded from a standard 2.1 channel soundbar. Since then all hell broke loose in the living room and I could not figure out what the issue was with the sound jumping from center to rear speakers. If was not jumping, it would randomly cut out for less than a second.

I have replaced all cables twice, I have reset everything and i truly thought I was going mental.

After reading all of the posts from page 1, I am a tad grateful that it is not "my fault". Now everything makes sense...all other apps work, except Netflix on the Apple TV 4K and Our Planet was my go to for testing and it seems that is the worst one out of all of them!

Herewith a breakdown of the setup:

TV – LG 55SM8100PVA
Soundbar – LG SL8Y with SPK8-S
Apple TV 4K
HDMI Cables – QED HDMI 2.0 Cables
Apple TV to soundbar, soundbar ARC to LG TV ARC.

Hoping for a fix from Netflix VERY soon.

Yep - it can be very frustrating until you realise you're not alone with the issues

Thankfully I found this forum and this thread! Was about to throw my whole AV setup in the bin after the past couple of days!!

About a week ago, I decided to upgrade our home entertainment systems with Dolby Atmos and got a LG SL8Y soundbar with the rear speaker set as well, upgraded from a standard 2.1 channel soundbar. Since then all hell broke loose in the living room and I could not figure out what the issue was with the sound jumping from center to rear speakers. If was not jumping, it would randomly cut out for less than a second.

I have replaced all cables twice, I have reset everything and i truly thought I was going mental.

After reading all of the posts from page 1, I am a tad grateful that it is not "my fault". Now everything makes sense...all other apps work, except Netflix on the Apple TV 4K and Our Planet was my go to for testing and it seems that is the worst one out of all of them!

Herewith a breakdown of the setup:
TV – LG 55SM8100PVA
Soundbar – LG SL8Y with SPK8-S
Apple TV 4K
HDMI Cables – QED HDMI 2.0 Cables
Apple TV to soundbar, soundbar ARC to LG TV ARC.

Hoping for a fix from Netflix VERY soon.

It seems the better the internet connection the less the problem.... I use 18mb (slow as 💩 but the fastest available where I live 🤯) and after about a minute or 2 it works itself out.... my main issue with it is that it does not affect any other streaming service JUST Netflix.... who also happen to be the biggest streaming company!!!!!

Remember to change your settings online (not available through the app itself 🤷‍♂️) and ensure everything is on high quality as opposed to auto - this made the biggest difference to me!!!

I updated tvOS to 14.0 after the Apple event on Tuesday (9/15). It’s possible this new version has fixed the audio-jumping issues during Netlflix ATMOS playback. I watched several minutes of Our Planet and the dialogue was perfect. I.e., it did not jump from the center channel to the left and right surrounds as before.

Last edited:
I updated tvOS to 14.0 after the Apple event on Tuesday (8/15). It’s possible this new version has fixed the audio-jumping issues during Netlflix ATMOS playback. I watched several minutes of Our Planet and the dialogue was perfect. I.e., it did not jump from the center channel to the left and right surrounds as before.

Will definitely try it out later today and feedback. Our Planet is my go to test for Dolby Atmos. If they fixed it, it would be great!

I’m having an issue with Netflix on my Apple TV 4K, only for the last few days, everything I play shows as PCM 2.0 on my Arcam amp? I don‘t think it’s the Apple TV 4K box because all other streaming services play correctly (5.1 and Atmos) and when I play Netflix on my new Panasonic OLED, which has Atmos, the TV confirms that it’s playing Atmos so totally baffled why it’s only an issue on my Apple TV. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Pete

I’m having an issue with Netflix on my Apple TV 4K, only for the last few days, everything I play shows as PCM 2.0 on my Arcam amp? I don‘t think it’s the Apple TV 4K box because all other streaming services play correctly (5.1 and Atmos) and when I play Netflix on my new Panasonic OLED, which has Atmos, the TV confirms that it’s playing Atmos so totally baffled why it’s only an issue on my Apple TV. Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Pete

Any Atmos issues associated with the Apple TV 4K are two fold at this point in time:

A couple of bits of info from the ATV 4K owners thread.

The latest Netflix app (2.1.16) released on 21st Sep only plays content in stereo even thiough it's flagged as Atmos and the latest TvOS beta (14.2) has broken Atmos completely.

MacRumours also includes multiple reports of this issue relative to the Netflix app on the Apple TV:

It may be too late to prevent this, but if the Netflix app hasn't already updated on an Apple TV box then users should maybe consider turning the auto update feature off on their ATV until this issue is resolved and or fixed?

Last edited:
Confirmed! Only 2ch is available with Apple TV 4K Netflix app since the recent "self-update." I have deferred to my Smart TV Netflix app which correctly outputs the source audio.

Thanks a lot dante01, glad it’s nothing I’ve done :). Interestingly, I have just used eArc to output the sound from the Netflix App on my TV to my amp and am getting Atmos that way so will use this for now until the issue is solved. Hopefully it’ll get solved soon🤞

Pete

Mine is exactly the same. Hope it gets resolved soon.

No idea as to whether or not it does actually resolve the issue on the Apple TV, but:

There is a tvOS 14.01 update. Downloading it now to see if it resolves the problems with Netflix

I'd tend to think not and would expect an actual update for the app be required?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom