Netflix cuts 4K bitrate in half, promises same 4K quality video

If the price has gone up in the US, then it's probably only a matter of time before the UK prices are also increased.

Luckily I don’t pay for my Netflix access, or I would be tempted to walk if the quality drop is that pronounced. It doesn’t surprise me though. More subscribers equals more demand and load, so anything to reduce the burden, even if it means that Joe or Josephine Customer get a poorer service, is going to be fine, because Netflix knows that the vast majority of its subscribers don’t really care about quality, just the content.

Streaming has always been a compressed, compromised mess. We shouldn’t be that surprised. Very disappointing though. Physical media will certainly look much better, just at the time when disc players are slowly being killed off ...
Another issue is that they’re not releasing discs of their shows anymore. Stranger Things S1 and 2 both got releases but season 3 is nowhere to be seen.

Well I'll be dipping back into Netflix for the next few months over Xmas, and I won't be happy if the rates are cut and I start getting a shittier PQ. I can't abide a shitty picture.

Anyone noticed an increase in bit rate on Netflix? I’m getting 16.40Mbs for 4K.

93150648-8628-4BDA-AFFE-313BB1BD6CD1.jpeg
93150648-8628-4BDA-AFFE-313BB1BD6CD1.jpeg

What show/film is that? Clearly HDR, but it's definitely never been that high before.

Well that's interesting. Especially when the speculation is that it's being cut. It's never got over 15.25 in the UK I don't think. Happy to be corrected if anyone has seen higher.

15.25 chez moi, is the maximum that I’ve seen for 4K HDR/DV material.

Very rarely Netflix streams can hit 25 Mbps but its mostly blink and miss type. Otherwise, for 4K its usually 15.6 Mbps.

Best streaming providers by bit rates:

1. MoviesAnywhere - Avg: 25 Mbps - Peak: 32 Mbps
2. iTunes - Avg: 24 Mbps - Peak: 31 Mbps (via ATV 4K box ONLY. Bit rates are capped on non-ATV boxes & Apple TV apps on TVs. Avg: 8-10 Mbps - Peak: 17 Mbps)
3. Vudu - Avg: 13-21 Mbps: Peak: 28-39 Mbps
4. Disney+ - Avg: 17 Mbps Peak: 29 Mbps
5. Netflix: 15.6 Mbps, Peak: 25 Mbps (very very rare)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom