Netflix to slow broadband speed in Europe.

gibbsy

Solutions
Reaction score
Already covered in many threads

Your such a bundle of joy you are JWSG, you need to chill out :)

And Gibbsy is a Moderator, so I would think he knows that already, bet he is glad you have pointed it out for him o_O

Watchman The English Game with a HD sub and it says the rate is 4.42Mbps

ive been watching locke and key in HDR yesterday and Friday. i thought HDR was only in 4k

Started watching The Kindom last night and it looked fine.

..... 1080p stuff is down to 2 mbps and 4K from 15 to 7.

Sound is crap too.

Are they taking the p^iss?

BT gave already told them that they are under 60 percent capacity.

Just making money again.

I tried to watch "You" in Netflix which is suposed to be in HDR. I only got 1080 so before cancelling (I hardly ever use it TBH) I tried other HDR programmes and had no problems with them. I'm also getting more bandwidth than ever ironically.

Just tried it again and you're right. It's being throttled. Seeing as I only had a premium account to access HDR titles, I've gone ahead and cancelled.

They told the world a week ago they reduce it by 25 Percent.

Now I'm getting just 2 mbps instead of 3.5 to 7 mbps for 1080p stuff, and ALL 4K stuff is now down from 15 to 7 mbps.

Then I hear that it is going down for many peeps completely.

Excuse me for being cynical but it seems to me the whole exercise was for their own benefit, knowing their servers would not cope with increased demand.

Given that BT have already told them no reduction AT ALL was necessary, as they were only up to 60 percent of normal nightime bandwidth demand in the day, throughout the UK.... it isn't rocket science to realise that Netflix's apparent 'Good deed', was purely self serving.

I feel dirty, witnessing the entire thing unfold.

And of course all the other streamers followed suit.... because they didn't want to look like ****s.

So we all suffer now, even more. Standard stuff on Netflix barely looks better than Sky.

Think I'll just stab myself in the eye, and limp off into a corner of self pity, and lie down and die.

....... and the award for Drama Queen of the week goes to ..... me ! 😂🤣😃

Stay well everyone. At least we've got TV !

Certainly annoying, especially when you're paying for something you're not getting. I get the supposed reason and there are bigger things we should all be worried about. That would be understandable should there be an issue, but there isn't. The ISPs have said as much. I still get above the 100Mbit I pay for from Virgin at all times of the day. Sony is at it now too with capping PSN download speeds. I'm a cynic too and believe they're all rubbing their hands at the bandwidth savings. They could easily do it during business hours only if it was such a problem, but no, all day. Also crafty lowering the bit-rate so they can still argue you're getting '4K'. Entirely in their own best interests. Maybe it's an issue in some other European countries?

Thankfully I have bought more UHD Blu-rays than I have been watching this past few months so plenty to enjoy.

It's shady profiteering as far I'm concerned.

They know new sign ups will be increasing and the urge to cancel reduced because of the current situation. More people should have the guts to stand up and cancel.

Even 1080 material was looking like freeview SD channels on mine and a BB speedtest shows I have 18 Mbps available. They're taking the piss.

Don't have Netflix. I just sampled Disney+ via FireTV stick. No idea about the bit rates. Quality is close to UHD disc.

Regarding limiting bit-rates, I think they can do it during business hours (say 9 am to 6 pm) instead of enforcing 24x7.

The D+ video quality of the Pixar films is still pretty good but the audio has been reduced to DVD quality. Normally streaming PQ is a bit worse that disc and audio a fair bit worse than lossless.

ISPs can vary bit-rates dynamically but streaming companies probably have for each film versions prepared at a number of resolutions and formats and the app chooses the best for your connection and device. For now they've taken away access to the top tier versions with Atmos and full 4K

They will claim that we're still getting what we pay for - 4K - as you dont contract a bit-rate with Netflix.
Only if it happens in the US will customers complain - here we just moan on forums

I think it should be down to the ISPs to throttle if necessary.

As an example, I could stream 4 different 4K movies from Netflix on different devices each at (the reduced rate of...) 7 mbps, and still have 40 mbps to download a 100GB Steam game in 4 hours

It isn't helping at all for individual streaming platforms to play God. It is shady practice to "look good" but really line their own pockets.

Don't have Netflix. I just sampled Disney+ via FireTV stick. No idea about the bit rates. Quality is close to UHD disc.

Regarding limiting bit-rates, I think they can do it during business hours (say 9 am to 6 pm) instead of enforcing 24x7.

Absolutely right!
I am a user of Netflix and I face this issue At peak hours from 6 pm to 10 pm.
but its a normal routine.
no take the steps to solve this

Sound is crap too.

Just making money again.

yes,
you are absolutely right!
it's just for making money .its not facilitate the user. this issue mostly occurs during peak hours like from 6 pm to 10 pm.
are you facing it 24/7 hours?

yes,
you are absolutely right!
it's just for making money .its not facilitate the user. this issue mostly occurs during peak hours like from 6 pm to 10 pm.
are you facing it 24/7 hours?

Mine was still being throttled at 9am this morning

I watched better call Saul on Tuesday- the picture quality seemed good

Click the info button on your remote.

1080 stuff should be around 4Mpbs. 4K stuff about 17Mbps. I'm getting 1Mbps for 1080 and 7Mps for UHD.

What is uber annoying is Netflix doing this on the sly and hoping people won't notice. Like the OP says traffic shaping should be done by ISP's if it essential.

I watched Wonder Woman last night and it was 1.77Mbps , just checked now and it’s 1.36Mbps for the HD stream

Sound is crap too.

Just making money again.

Given that netflix can run UHD at 7, there's no reason HD cannot stay at 5. This is just stupid (IMHO). Just because some **** EU politician thinks we need to drop the bandwidth, we get screwed over. At least we aren't doing exactly what he said. He wanted everything streaming to be SD.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom