Netflix UK free trials come to an end - news discussion

Well that's a bit of a bummer!

We were about to sign up to the trial as we've just bought a new Roku Streaming Stick+ and wanted to see how well the 4K/UHD option performed on our setup.

Also the Netflix website, unless we're being incredibly thick, doesn't seem to allow you to see what the content is if you're not a member? I know there are other websites where I can find out this information but it'd be nice to be able to browse Netflix itself to see if there was enough content there to convince us to sign up.

Perhaps I'm missing the point but the trial would have answered both of these questions for us before we committed to a payment.

It's just too easy to manipulate free trials, I'm surprised they offered it long as they did!

I've been offered and used the free trial on 3 occasions probably over a period of 6 years or so. I had no intension of subscribing as I had Sky at the time and couldn't afford the extra cost. But I did take full advantage and binged watched many series that I wouldn't have otherwise been able to as they were netflix originals.

Also, as mentioned above, not being able to browse their catalogue on their own website without having a subscription is frustrating and I think they are missing a trick in getting potential new customers.

The other services offer at least a week, so not a great idea to remove it completely. A few months at a time is enough to catch up with the good stuff and the free month averages out the £12pm cost a bit. I doubt it really hurts their income that much, but they must know what they're doing.

they should offer a week to get you tempted and most importantly allow you to browse the content before you subscribe to see what your missing

Can you not just use a VPN to get the free trial ??? via your computer and then add the details onto you Firestick account, or would they suss out you are not actually from USA when you start using the Firestick?

It hardly worth that much bother to save 1 month's sub. This is going to be a disincentive for new users not sure whether their TV setup works or whether they like the content. It also offered a risk-free way of trying the £12 UHD tier before committing to the continuous subs that Netflix must be after.

Can you not just use a VPN to get the free trial ???

If you can suggest a free and reliable VPN then that'd be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Otherwise if we have to pay for something it may as well just be the proper Netflix subscription.

And would the VPN option of creating a (e.g.) US account actually be a true reflection of the service we'd receive for a paid UK membership? I think what I'm asking here is "do you stream non-UK stuff from a server located in the other country of origin?".

Apologies if these are daft questions but I'm not sure I understand the precise underlying mechanics of how any of this works!

If you can suggest a free and reliable VPN then that'd be much appreciated! :thumbsup:

Otherwise if we have to pay for something it may as well just be the proper Netflix subscription.

And would the VPN option of creating a (e.g.) US account actually be a true reflection of the service we'd receive for a paid UK membership? I think what I'm asking here is "do you stream non-UK stuff from a server located in the other country of origin?".

Apologies if these are daft questions but I'm not sure I understand the precise underlying mechanics of how any of this works!

My understanding is that the US service would not be a true reflection of what to expect in the UK. In the past it has been a common practice to VPN through to the US server even if you have a UK service because the range of films and series is much larger.

Cheers,

Nigel

Thanks Nigel!

I don't think I worded my original question clearly enough as I realise the catalogues are different from region to region. My query was more about the technicalities of the streaming, and how using a VPN might affect that (i.e. how it may not give a true reflection of the performance we could expect for a UK subscription), but it looks like you cut through my waffle and answered that bit for me anyway! :rotfl:

Im hoping they keep them around as rejoining incentives for lapsed customers.

I've been off for some time, getting regular emails to rejoin but no offers, so wasn't surprised to hear they've stopped incentives.

Gone for old subscribers as incentives to return too apparently.

I think I said it elsewhere, but their expenditure is increasing heavily, and the amount they must have been losing to people just signing up with multiple accounts for free trials, must finally have reached the point where they realised they had to do something to stop it.

The easiest way of course being to just shut down trials altogether.

It doesn't bother me too much as I only ever dip in for a month or two a few times a year. Catch up on what I've missed.

System was open to abuse, only takes a few minutes to use a dummy email.

Although they should at least offer a 7 day trial as minimum.

I'd be happy with a 1 day trial so I can test out how well the 4K content works on our setup.

24 hours should also be more than enough time for genuine new members to browse the catalogue to see if it's for them, but not long enough for Netflix to worry about people signing up for free just to binge watch a couple of series!

Totally agree, everything to be subscribed to should offer a trial. Be it 7 days or even just 24hrs.

I doubt it will harm Netflix in any significant way, but it is a disappointing decision.

Was speaking to my parents earlier, they were recently offered a two month free trial with Netflix from Sky.

Not sure if was something Netflix were offering or it was a Sky waiving the cost for two months or something. They were going to take up the offer (dad wanted to watch The Irishman) but the guy from from Sky said if you were on a free trial from Netflix you had restricted access and couldn’t watch all content. Anyone know if that’s the case? Seems a bid odd to me, giving you a free trial but only letting you watch certain things.

i received a free trial email from Netflix, i need to use before Feb 2020

i received a free trial email from Netflix, i need to use before Feb 2020

How long ago was it though? Recent? I had one actually I never used from about 12 months ago, but it expired in June.

Don't think I've had any in the last 6 months, and I've not been a member for about 6 months.

How long ago was it though? Recent? I had one actually I never used from about 12 months ago, but it expired in June.

Don't think I've had any in the last 6 months, and I've not been a member for about 6 months.

just a few days ago, wednesday to be exact

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom