Netflix varying resolution issues

Andrew1472

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Update 20 October 2017
See Netflix varying resolution issues for an explanation from Netflix.

Updated list of known/reported affected products. Last updated 5/10/17
LG OLED B7, C7, E7
Sony A1 OLED.
Sony XE93.
LG UP970 bluray player
Nvidia Shield.
PS4
LG uh668v
LG u635v
Sony ZD9
HiSense 50N6800

One isolated report of Apple 4kTV. Other owners say there is no problem with it.

Original post:-
Several sets known to be the C7, B7, E7 so far are suffering from unusual behaviour in the Netflix app. Not all sets are affected at this point. My lg UP970 blu-ray player is having the same issue.
The resolution will either not increase to maximum, or will increase then drop back to 480 and then fluctuate continuously.
Nobody so far has established any pattern regarding which titles are affected. It seems to vary from set to set. Some titles work as they should, others do not.
Any ideas, feedback, or experience of the issue are very welcome here.

Last edited:
It might be worth removing the E6 from that list for the moment. I cocked up with my test, and until I'm home to check some other content I won't be able to say for sure if it's affected or not. Apologies!

It might be worth removing the E6 from that list for the moment. I cocked up with my test, and until I'm home to check some other content I won't be able to say for sure if it's affected or not. Apologies!
No problem. Removed until you have time to check.

Yes I have this problem on my C7 too. (65 Inch ) 03.60.15 Firmware

At times the streaming speed is max then drops to 480 which of course makes viewing quality very poor.

Same results wired, or via WiFi.

The Netflix app maintains full streaming speed on my PC, Tablet, Xbox One S and my NVidia Shield, so it's not an ISP problem.

Hopefully it'll be discovered soon what the problem is.

Last edited:
B7 here with same issue on Netflix and amazon, i get a good connection in the Netflix app when testing connection speed (90mbps) but rubbish stream, my general connection from my router to virgin is 150mbps solid, my old Samsung tv never had any issue with Netflix at all, btw i replaced the cable to the router and made no difference, hope this is sorted out soon.

Mark.

Please keep calling LG about this, if we only tell each other that we have a problem then LG (and Netflix?) would do nothing about this.

In the Netherlands LG is already monitoring how many customers are calling, the reference number they logged for this issue is CNU170907893764. It's a global call logging system but every country can normally (only) see their own calls.

Maybe it's an idea to create/ask LG UK also to make/create such a logging number, so the rest of you can refer to it when calling about this issue with the Netflix app. And if it's possible also mention the logging number from LG NL :smashin:

I should have said in the first post that the issue was first reported as far as I know on the 4th September and has been discussed at length in the C7 owners thread since then if anyone wants to catch up.
LG C7 OLED Owners and discussion thread

issues here on E7...it is hardwired connection, problem on both old and the newer firmware.

55b7 and a 65c7 here, both have the same issue.

300Bbit wired on both and 80+Mbit on neflix's internal speedtest.
Keeps dropping to 480 on regular intervals and gets back up sometimes and drops right away.
Getting as low as 0.53 Mb streamng on a 4k show, i also have had a cople of random buffers mid show.

Tried reinstalling the app, i rebooted al devices and modem etc.

My Nvidia Shield's netflix is solid 2160p on the same wired connection.
Both lg tv's are the only thing in my household having a problem with netflix.

Just put an episode of Defenders on, went to 15.26 very quickly, hope it's resolved itself

Just been on the phone to lg tech support and was told it must be my issue alone and they have not heard about it before, i ask this guy to have a look at this thread, he said if there was an issue it would be on his screen and then went silent on me, what a waist of time that was.

Mark.

Has anyone gone through hassle of resetting the TV.
Just put an episode of Defenders on, went to 15.26 very quickly, hope it's resolved itself
Nope, don't think so. Jessica Jones still fluctuating here.

Has anyone gone through hassle of resetting the TV.

Nope, don't think so. Jessica Jones still fluctuating here.
I spoke to soon, put Luke Cage on and it's fluctuating again

Just been on the phone to lg tech support and was told it must be my issue alone and they have not heard about it before, i ask this guy to have a look at this thread, he said if there was an issue it would be on his screen and then went silent on me, what a waist of time that was.

Mark.
I phoned them yesterday and they were in complete denial that there was any issues.

Someone in the Sony A1 owners thread is having sane problem. May not be particular to LG sets alone. Most likely a Netflix problem.

Well looked again and Marco polo, narcos and Jessica jones work fine and get up to 2160 quick, orange is the new black, better call saul and power stays at 480:eek:. Power goes up to 1080 then drops down to 480. Dunno what the issue is but it will be sorted eventually:facepalm:

I've unplugged the TV overnight which made no difference at all.
I've just signed out of Netflix, deleted the app, unplugged the TV and reinstalled Netflix.
It looked promising at first, but titles are taking an age to start playing and Luke Cage has just dropped to 480.
That's 15 minutes of my life wasted.:(

I'll reboot the router when it's not needed, but I really can't see that helping. I don't know if it's worth resetting the TV or not. Fed up with trying things to be honest.

I've just signed out of Netflix, deleted the app, unplugged the TV and reinstalled Netflix.
It looked promising at first, but titles are taking an age to start playing and Luke Cage has just dropped to 480.

I'll reboot the router when it's not needed, but I really can't see that helping. I don't know if it's worth resetting the TV or not. Fed up with trying things to be honest.

Don't bother, I already did a factory reset, didn't help.

I've reset everything twice. Don't make a difference.

Ive had the same problem with Netflix, 2160p fluctuating to 480p.

Started having the problem yesterday on my Sony A1 OLED, was fine before then.

Maybe it’s not just an LG issue.

E7 owner here same problem, first noticed it about a week ago, no app or firmware update so must be netflix side?

Anybody else getting audio issues in netflix app also? Intermittently the audio is slowed down like slo-mo I have to close and reopen the app

I don't think this is a issue with any of the sets listed above as various users with this sets above have mentioned they also do not have issues , myself included. As its affecting various manufacturers im leaning towards netflix itself being the issue.

Might help if all people affected 1st checked netflix with another device on network such as pc laptop or games console , following that ping tests to netflix server and tracert. Maybe people can find some common ground then instead of blaming TV app.

Either they are implementing some aggressive QOS or they are not admitting to a failed issue/change in their network. My guess.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom