Netflix varying resolution issues

Thanks... so Star Trek isn’t 4K?

Sorry for asking questions as I’m learning about all this. On the face value Star Trek and dare devil both says UHD DV but DD is 2160 and ST is 1080?

If so there is no way knowing until you use the info option? Is there any other way to check as I don’t want to be wondering if it is 1080 or 2160 while waiting for it to improve when actually it is at the maximum.

If that make sense?
Are you sure Star Trek shows as UHD? Mine just displays as 'HDR' (sorry, I don't have an LG TV)

My devices show the following:

SDR UHD Titles display 'Ultra HD 4K' tag
HDR UHD Titles display a 'HDR' tag
HDR 1080p display a 'HDR' tag
SDR 1080p displays a 'HD' tag

There are only a few titles that are 1080p and HDR so I wouldn't worry too much.

Thanks... so Star Trek isn’t 4K?

Sorry for asking questions as I’m learning about all this. On the face value Star Trek and dare devil both says UHD DV but DD is 2160 and ST is 1080?

If so there is no way knowing until you use the info option? Is there any other way to check as I don’t want to be wondering if it is 1080 or 2160 while waiting for it to improve when actually it is at the maximum.

If that make sense?
Dolby Vision doesn’t have to be 2160 as Star Trek proves, but the vast majority are. Star Trek is Dolby Vision at 1080p.
If you get a constant 1080 or a constant 2160 you are fine.
If you have the problem this thread is about you will get 720 to 480 to 720 to 1080 to 480 and it never settles at an acceptable quality.

Dolby Vision doesn’t have to be 2160 as Star Trek proves, but the vast majority are. Star Trek is Dolby Vision at 1080p.
If you have the problem this thread is about you will get 720 to 480 to 720 to 1080 to 480 and it never settles at an acceptable quality.
Exactly. One small caveat being if your hardware doesn't support DV (still awaiting the update for my Sony TV) then any HDR content will be HDR10 and carries the 'HDR' tag.

For the last 30 miuntes some how Netflix has been totally stable at 15.25mbps/2160 4k and hdr = Marco Polo, Marseille, War machine.

Maybe they fixed if for my LG OLED C7 or my Geographically area.

Anyone else want to check the LG OLED C7 and/or West London area?

For the last 30 miuntes some how Netflix has been totally stable at 15.25mbps/2160 4k and hdr = Marco Polo, Marseille, War machine.

Maybe they fixed if for my LG OLED C7 or my Geographically area.

Anyone else want to check the LG OLED C7 and/or West London area?
Have you tried 'Apex' 'Abstract' and 'Flaked S01E01' at all? They seem to be consistently unstable for me across devices, but I don't own an LG.

That’s really interesting... if it showing just Dolby Vision how do I know if it is 1080 or 2160? Would I need to check via info or if it under ‘4K category therefore can assume it is 4K Dolby Vision?

That’s really interesting... if it showing just Dolby Vision how do I know if it is 1080 or 2160? Would I need to check via info or if it under ‘4K category therefore can assume it is 4K Dolby Vision?
You don't. 9/10 it will be 4K though.

But yeah, you'd have to either research elsewhere or do the 4K search as you suggested.

You don’t know. I don’t think anyone realised Star Trek was 1080 at first.
As I said if you get stable 1080 and 2160 don’t worry about it. You’re not affected by this problem.

Abstract = 37secs to reach 15.26mbps/2160.
Watched for 8 minutes and it did not drop below 15.26mbps.

Flaked S01E01 = 3minutes(slow) to reach 15.26mbps/2160.
Watched for 10 minutes and it did not drop below 15.26mbps.

Apex = 59secs to 15.26mbps/2160.
Watched for 8 minutes and did not drop below 15.26mbps.

My TV = LG OLED65C7V
AREA = WEST LONDON
ISP = SKY / 79MB DOWNLOAD

MY 480P barrier issue had started in the first week of September.
So maybe it is fixed now - i hope.
:clap:

My TV = LG OLED65C7V
AREA = WEST LONDON

Lucky! Glad to hear it's sorted for you. What changed, did you receive any sort of update? or do you think that maybe, just maybe.. something on the Netflix end was modified.

I checked Flaked again earlier, it slowly climbed to 2160p, held for a minute, and then back to business as usual. 480/1080/720/2160/480..

Lucky! Glad to hear it's sorted for you. What changed, did you receive any sort of update? or do you think that maybe, just maybe.. something on the Netflix end was modified.

I checked Flaked again earlier, it slowly climbed to 2160p, held for a minute, and then back to business as usual. 480/1080/720/2160/480..

I don’t know how to check if my LG OLED received a Netflix update? Will check if someone can let me know how and then report back

My TV = LG OLED65C7V
AREA = WEST LONDON

That’s exactly what happened to me.
Out of nowhere it stabilised. I still have no idea how.
It’s not a C7 fix though. My Blu-ray player fixed itself at the same time.
Perhaps it is geographical, I’m in South Devon. Why is it taking so damn long to roll it out though?

I don’t know how to check if my LG OLED received a Netflix update? Will check if someone can let me know how and then report back
LG content store > my page (its on the top row) > click on Netflix > mine is 1.4.40 updated 26/9/17.
Mine fixed itself before that update though.

That’s exactly what happened to me.
Out of nowhere it stabilised. I still have no idea how.
It’s not a C7 fix though. My Blu-ray player fixed itself at the same time.
Perhaps it is geographical, I’m in South Devon. Why is it taking so damn long to roll it out though?

Then maybe there is hope for others on this thread.
On 2 x LG OLEDC7’s and [Sony Zd9 with latest Netflix] I could never get better than 720p and mostly was on 480p. So something has changed.

1.5 hour now of 15.26mbps/2160 for SDR and HDR content.
8 minutes now of 15.26mbps/2160 ‘The Crown’ with no drop down.

LG content store > my page (its on the top row) > click on Netflix > mine is 1.4.40 updated 26/9/17.
Mine fixed itself before that update though.

Yes i am on the same version and update date, so nothing to do with software version then.

Yes i am on the same version and update date, so nothing to do with software version then.
Nope. It would answer every question if we knew what had changed on our two.
I would like to know anyway. I hate mysteries.
Odds on it’s a change at the servers somewhere, somehow, but I can’t work out why it’s not improving for lots of us.
It could be that it has improved for some, but they haven’t posted about it I suppose.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom