Netflix's Altered Carbon: Resleeved Movie Review & Comments

Casimir Harlow

Movies Editor
Reaction score
Looking forward to this. I hope it is better than the recent series 2 which was a joke. Every character was evil apart from the Hotel Ai.

Looks good - might watch later now I've finished Kingdom.

Just watched this. From the review, "Fans of Altered Carbon, fans of Ghost in the Shell, fans of anime and fans of bloody sci-fi action should probably consider this a strong offering"
Tick, tick, tick, tick... Yep it was excellent. I loved the animation style, almost Borderlands (the game) in look and uber gory.

Agree too with the 8/10, there was a little something missing to score higher but it was still solid.

Cheers, Cas.
Got it lined up for tonight, when the little darlings are tucked in.
It'll be nice to gain some ground from season 2.
As Netflix are cutting bit rates for 4K, may prove just as well to be in HD - never dreamt of saying anything like that.

As Netflix are cutting bit rates for 4K, may prove just as well to be in HD - never dreamt of saying anything like that.
I watched in 1080p (I don't have the 4k Netflix) and it looked fantastic.

image-20200319_225254.jpg

Yes I watched last night as well. i found it fleshed out the altered carbon universe quite nicely and provided some good background on Takeshi Kovacs and the Yakuza. Loads of action for an animation. So yep enjoyed it 8/10 for me as well.

Really not a fan of the art in this. It looks like a video game cut scene from about 15 years ago. The beauty of cell animation is that its hand drawn. The artists are free to distort, stylise, and push the characters in interesting ways. Using 3D models with motion captured animation has none of that. Compare this to the likes of Kill La Kill and the difference is staggering. I get why it's done - it's cheap. But you get what you pay for.

Despite Netflix's gigantic content budget it really feels like they're prioritising quantity over quality these days. Series 2 of Altered Carbon looked seriously ropey much of the time with tiny, sparse sets and none of the scale sci-fi requires. The Witcher looked pretty bad too.

Watched it and liked it. It does look game-like and falls a bit on the voice acting front. Namely, with Holly, sounding like she's trying to be Japanese in tone with shrill squeals etc. - which made me feel like saying, you do know you're Western, right?
Apart from that, I liked it. The action is very good and 3D-like in moments with quick twists and turns and made me glad I have a 77" panel. It's a shame it's not DV, as it could've helped pull it out of itself visually - like Disney's 4K HDR Star Wars: The Clone Wars new series that really pops.
Good to have our digital hotelier do his thing.
Worth a view.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom