Netflix's Eurovision: The Story of Fire Saga Movie Review & Comments

Nearly all Will Ferrell Films get bad reviews and I thoroughly enjoy every one of them. I completly understand why people don't like him but if you do, you'll enjoy this one as well.
I wouldn't call it a bad review.
I would call it an ambivalent review!

I like Will Ferrell well enough. He's been a big part of some of the funniest movies ever. But I don't really think that's what this is. I think it's an okay movie.

I think we're about to end up coming back to the arbitrary nature of number scores again.

Last edited:
Ok, this film isn't going to win any Oscars but I mean come on it's not aiming to either.

I think a lot of critics have it in for Will Ferrell movies unjustly, and some are totally brilliant, Old School, Elf, Anchorman etc and some are well, like this one, fair to middling but it's rare you get an awful one.

But none of them are really aimed at pleasing critics and they always seem to get panned.

This film is perfect for a few laughs and to chill out with the wife. A bit of mindless fun where they take the general feel of Eurovision, it's cheesyness, it's bonkers bands and acts and even has a few of the Eurovision performers turn up during the film for a cameo.

Even Graham Norton gets in on the act (does anyone know if other countries hosts appear instead of Graham when viewed abroad?).

If you like Eurovision or if you like Will or even if your just looking for a nice relaxed fun movie you won't go wrong here.

5 is harsh imo.

I thought that this was a nice love-letter to Edinburgh; I was completely swooned by the stunning aerial photography in DV/HDR. Although I had to laugh at the SSE Hydro being shown just down the road from the Royal Mile. I take it that means that the UK won the previous year? ;)

As for the film, I enjoyed it. Some of the jokes strained but there were enough random quips and one-liners in there to keep me chuckling. Even Brosnan's caricature performance had me entertained. It is a tad throwaway, but as means of capturing the spirit of Eurovision, I think that the film did its job.

(Resisting the urge to play Volcano Man on Spotify)...

Nearly all Will Ferrell Films get bad reviews and I thoroughly enjoy every one of them. I completly understand why people don't like him but if you do, you'll enjoy this one as well.

I love Will Ferrell, some of his films are brilliant from start to finish

Unfortunately in my honest opinion, this is definitely not.

Bit long but I thought this was ok, fantastic image quality as well.

7/10

Think the reviewer is a bit harsh stating if you’re not a die hard Eurovision fan (in a serious or love-to-hate-it way) there’s nothing for you here.

I’m neither - I’ll occasionally watch the voting if there’s nothing else on but never watch the entire show and don’t have any strong feelings either way.

In contradiction of what the reviewer said, I enjoyed the film. The songs were catchy, and I found the rest of it entertaining enough. Dan Stevens and Rachel McAdams both very watchable.

So yeah, ignore what the reviewer said. It’s not a classic by any means, and it’s not belly laugh funny, but it’s worth a watch for some light-hearted, casual entertainment.

Telling people to actively avoid watching this or saying it will only appeal to a very particular group is WAY off the mark and far too harsh. That should only be reserved for the very worst, and a score of 5 doesn’t reflect such a harsh statement.

This isn’t Holmes & Watson, which would justify such a comment.

6.5/10

Last edited:
For us it was an enjoyable Saturday might movie - more to my better half's taste than mine, and sure, not the best by a long shot, but enjoyable nevertheless. I'm rather neutral on Will Ferrell but do feel he was somewhat miscast in this - then if you're at the exec producers' table I guess you get to call the shots :) 6/10 for me given a beer or two, prob. 5/10 on a clear day.

Managed 45 minutes. Not even Rachel McAdams could entice me to watch another minute.

watched this today... I've never been a fan of Will Ferrell but do like a few of his films, and Eurovision means nothing to me and hasn't since I was given the freedom to leave the room to do something else when my mum watched it in the 70's and 80's when we only had 3 channels...

despite which, I enjoyed this quite a lot. Weirdly, because I thought the Fire Saga songs were actually a lot better than they should have been. I'd buy their CD :D
The film's pretty basic bog standard Will Ferrell kind of stuff but I don't think it's any worse than the majority of the rest of his films. I'll watch it again just for the Fire Saga songs, but most likely just those bits

It's a slightly different film than the trailer suggests. It's an affectionate parody, hell, it might not even be a parody, more a lover letter really. A film like this stands and falls on the quality of the songs, and they are absolute bangers :D

I was particularly impressed that it's not even really a Will Ferrel movie, he's actually fairly restrained. It's more Rachel McAdam's movies. Dan steals every scene he's in though.

The ending is signposted a mile off but it's a tremendously NICE film. At this point of 2020, that's not a bad thing at all.

That's probably why I couldn't get on with it, I had no interest in the songs at all, so just pretty much tuned out when they were on.

You guys are lucky to be hitting this at 15 megs I have it on now and it’s showing at a lacklustre 6.5mbs/14440 :(

It was fun, funny, and heartwarming. Nothing new to see, especially if you've seen Blades of Glory, but these films done competently are all too rare these days, well worth a watch.

Will Ferrell is one big joke, how he has been successful l do not know, pathetic excuse for comedy

Will Ferrell is one big joke, how he has been successful l do not know, pathetic excuse for comedy
That's a bit of an odd thing to say. Isn't that how comedy works? You don't find Will Ferrell funny but I do. You find "insert name here" funny but I don't. Will Ferrell is successful because there are loads of people out there that find him funny.

Sorry, it's an obvious thing to point out but you did say you didn't know how/why he had been successful.

That's a bit of an odd thing to say. Isn't that how comedy works? You don't find Will Ferrell funny but I do. You find "insert name here" funny but I don't. Will Ferrell is successful because there are loads of people out there that find him funny.

Sorry, it's an obvious thing to point out but you did say you didn't know how/why he had been successful.
I just don't find Will Ferrell funny, prefer English humour, American comedies are usually rubbish

I just don't find Will Ferrell funny, prefer English humour, American comedies are usually rubbish
I know you don't find him funny. It was the the bit where you queried his success that I thought you needed help with.

I know you don't find him funny. It was the the bit where you queried his success that I thought you needed help with.
I was being Sarcastic when l said about his Success.
I understand others may find Will Ferrell funny each to their own.
I find Karl Pilkington funny but others may not, all into different things and like different things

I was being Sarcastic when l said about his Success.
I understand others may find Will Ferrell funny each to their own.
I find Karl Pilkington funny but others may not, all into different things and like different things
I think you need to work on your sarcasm.

Just seen that Husavik, Double Trouble, Jaja Ding Dong, In the Mirror and the sing-a-long medley are all doing very well in the iTunes charts :)

Yeah and Will Ferrell needs to work on finding a better comedy writer.
This is what l find funny

Karl Pilkington is one big joke, how he has been successful l do not know, pathetic excuse for comedy

Wow. Why on earth did you watch this film then? Bizarre.
I watched a bit but the pain was too much so l had to turn it off.
Only watched a bit because Rachel McAdams is in it

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom